Rumor: Samsung to supply 7.9" Retina displays for Apple's next iPad mini this year

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung Display will be the key supplier of high-resolution Retina displays for a new iPad mini set to launch later this year, according to a new report.

iPad mini

Samsung will provide 7.9-inch Retina displays with a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, the same as the current full-size iPad but packed into a smaller space, according to Korea's ETNews. The displays are expected to be shipped in the third and fourth quarters of calendar 2013.

In addition, Samsung will also supply 9.7-inch retina displays with a narrow bezel for Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPad, the report said.

Samsung and Apple are currently engaged in a series of lawsuits in which each has accused the other of patent infringement. But in spite of those legal battles, relations between Apple and Samsung Display are alleged to have improved, and it's expected that Samsung will remain a supplier of displays for Apple's devices for the foreseeable future.

In particular, Apple was said to have faced yield and quality issues with other display suppliers, with Japan's Sharp and Taiwan's AU Optronics singled out in Thursday's report.

Samsung is joined by LG Display, which has also been "consistently increasing its supply to Apple," according to ETNews. Competition between Samsung and LG in supplying panels to Apple is expected to further intensify with the anticipated launches of multiple new products this fall.

Reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicated in April that apparent yield issues in building 7.9-inch Retina displays for a new iPad mini have prevented Apple from manufacturing a next-generation device. Kuo doesn't expect that a second-generation iPad mini with Retina display will arrive until October of this year, or a full year after the launch of the first iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    Apple just needs to buy panasonic and build there own displays!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

So no one will be buying this since Samsung contributed right? imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Reply 3 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What the **** happened to Apple moving away from Samsung? Seems like they reversed course. 

• Reply 4 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    So they don't quite hate each other as much as everybody thought? This is good - Apple should always keep its own interests above any rivalry with another company.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Well it's not bad that Apple uses samsung panels.
    I think the worst part of this will be dozens of fandroids laughing at you just because it uses a samsung panel...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Apple just needs to buy panasonic and build there own displays!

Apple clearly does not want to own any factories.

• Reply 7 of 34
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

First word in the title: Rumor

• Reply 8 of 34
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

So they don't quite hate each other as much as everybody thought? This is good - Apple should always keep its own interests above any rivalry with another company.

It's just business.  Few companies can deliver the volume Apple needs, and fewer still have the quality and the specs Apple needs to build it's iPads.   

Apple isn't asking Samsung to build chips Apple has designed... or custom ASICs... this (if true) would be stock glass.   The big issue in the past was Samsung effectively 'learning' how Apple was optimizing ARM for iOS/touch devices for it's mobile product line, and the chinese wall (pardon the pun) between the chip division and the mobile division wasn't as impermeable as Apple had requested.  

The only competitive intel Samsung would get would be how many Apple is selling, (as well as lowering it's internal cost for the same glass if they so desire to use it).

• Reply 9 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Well it's not bad that Apple uses samsung panels.

I think the worst part of this will be dozens of fandroids laughing at you just because it uses a samsung panel...

Yeah people who have spare time in life will go this way laughing. There are lot of great things in life which poor Fandroids will not understand. That is why they cannot afford Apple ecosystem and try to bash Apple in every possible way.

Why does it matter? I personally don't care a damn about such people. We cannot control others but can control ourselves and our actions. Do what you like and focus on stocks which are going higher lol

BTW AAPL stock looks like it is forming the base on daily. Looks good so far for higher prices in months to come!

• Reply 10 of 34
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple clearly does not want to own any factories.

Exactly. In fact, this is one of the very first things Cook did when he got the job at Apple, was to sell off their factories and have manufacturing done by partners. I'd say it's been yet another brilliant move by Apple and their management team.

• Reply 11 of 34
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Tim Cook is the consummate diplomat whose only interest is keeping Apple healthy and stable. He won't allow hot tempers to jeopardize Apple's goal of making the best products for the most people willing to buy them. They will need about ten million of these brand new displays every quarter. Those of us who snort at this move have little appreciation for how complicated it is to secure all of the parts to build these machines.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Exactly. In fact, this is one of the very first things Cook did when he got the job at Apple, was to sell off their factories and have manufacturing done by partners. I'd say it's been yet another brilliant move by Apple and their management team.

Agreed.  It doesn't seem in Apple's best interests to be in that angle of the business.  There are people (whether Samsung or LG or TMSC or whoever else) that are much better suited to do it.

PS: A few moments ago I tried to reply to a story, and it was the first reply.  It said "Thanks for your reply" but the reply never showed up.  This is the second time that this has happened in about 12 hours.  It's only when I try to reply with the first reply.  Otherwise, everything else works fine.  Is anyone else noticing or experiencing this problem?

• Reply 13 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Yeah people who have spare time in life will go this way laughing. There are lot of great things in life which poor Fandroids will not understand. That is why they cannot afford Apple ecosystem and try to bash Apple in every possible way.

Why does it matter? I personally don't care a damn about such people. We cannot control others but can control ourselves and our actions. Do what you like and focus on stocks which are going higher lol

BTW AAPL stock looks like it is forming the base on daily. Looks good so far for higher prices in months to come!

Let's not make this personal, shall we.

"That is why they cannot afford [to be part of the] Apple ecosystem" - plenty of people I know who have Android handsets bought them unlocked for ~$700.

• Reply 14 of 34

This. There isn't any Android device that sells for as much as an iDevice¡
  • Reply 15 of 34

...and that means that Android users don't have the money to be part of the ecosystem?

I could respond to that in many ways... maybe they don't like the product line. Maybe they don't like the rights management or the lock in. Perhaps they prefer the OS design. Maybe they prefer a phone which you can sideload apps in without jailbreaking it.

I work in a financial organisation - I'd certainly not call the VPs and Directors toting HTC Ones and Samsung 4s unable to afford to Apple ecosystem!

• Reply 16 of 34
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 17 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    aaronj wrote: »
    PS: A few moments ago I tried to reply to a story, and it was the first reply.  It said "Thanks for your reply" but the reply never showed up.

Hmm. Did you do it from the forum proper or from the comments section below the article on the AI main page?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Did you do it from the forum proper or from the comments section below the article on the AI main page?

From the section below the article.  Is that the problem?

• Reply 19 of 34
    Cue "IGZO when???" In 5,4,3,...
  • Reply 20 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the **** happened to Apple moving away from Samsung? Seems like they reversed course. 

Reality happened.

There were originally, very good reasons why Apple did so much business with Samsung.  They were/are the world leaders at manufacturing complex devices in high volumes, of high quality, at competitive prices.

Those fundamental truths didn't go away just because Apple had a hissy fit.

Someone has realised that cutting off your nose, to spite your face, isn't a sound business practice and doesn't maximise profit.

I suspect Apple has already had to secretly eat crow with the 15" Retina pro fiasco.  Lots of those very expensive machines that had LG displays had to be replaced under warranty with ones with Samsung made panels.