Apple's iOS 7 beta already on 0.22% of compatible US devices, study says

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to ad firm Chitika, Apple's latest iOS 7 beta accounts for 0.22 percent of all U.S. iPhone and iPod touch traffic across its network, double the 0.11 percent seen by the third iOS 6 beta last year.

Adoption
Data from Chitika Insights June 2013.


The metrics, which measure adoption up to June 12, suggest a high developer interest in the latest iOS just two days after it was unveiled on stage at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. Chitika notes that the number of impressions is growing, suggesting developers are continuing to download and test the new mobile OS.

"The more radical design change, and its potential impact on existing applications, could be driving this behavior," the firm said. "Alternatively, the new interface could be spurring users to browse more frequently."

With definitively positive initial growth, the report speculates developers are not only excited to test out the new features and vast redesign, but want to make sure their apps operate smoothly on the revamped system.

For its report, the firm's Insights research team used a sample of tens of milllions of iPhone and iPod touch online ad impressions taken from June 3 to June 12. Apple introduced iOS 7 on Monday, June 10, and released the beta to developers that same day.

The 0.22 percent share was reached by pitting ad impressions against the number traffic from all iPhones and iPod touches across the company's ad network.

It should be noted that the 0.11 percent share seen by iOS 6 in 2012 is inherently lower because that release was also available on the second and third generation iPad, creating a much larger pool of devices.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 41
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,018member
    Didn't Apple say they doubled the number of registered iOS developers since last year? In other words, the number of people who can load the beta... I'm sure there are also people signing up for $100 developer account just to play with the beta.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I know that some people are paying developers a small fee to have them add their IMEI number to the developer's account.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member


    This is overall good news, as it seems interest in iOS 7 is huge.


     


    That's why it's better to have a new controversial design than the same old design with new features. iOS 7 was a huge gamble that will pay off for Apple in the end.

  • Reply 4 of 41
    I'm sorry but your headline is misleading. In your introduction you're interpreting it the right way though.

    On the left side of the chart it reads "Share of North American iPhone and iPod Touch Web Traffic". That means that a lot of iOS 7 devices could create only a small amount of this traffic or it means that a small amount creates a lot of traffic (0.22%). They do not tell "how much percent of the devices" as you name it wrongly in your headline create the amount of traffic. They're only telling us that "of all iPod and iPhone traffic" they capture, 0.22% is created with iOS 7 devices. There's now clue about how many devices are producing this traffic.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    According to ad firm Chitika, Apple's latest iOS 7 beta accounts for 0.22 percent of all U.S. iPhone and iPod touch traffic across its network, double the 0.11 percent seen by the third iOS 6 beta last year.

    This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.

    There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. There are something like 100,000 iOS developers - so the ratio should be 5,000 to 1 - even if every single developer has a device on iOS 7. That's 1/10 of what Chitika says is already in use.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member


    ``We teased myriads of seasoned and novice tech bloggers with our beta-stuff. They handed us a nice check in exchange for their fake developer accounts.''


     



     


    P.S. Another one to Apple Store geniuses all over the world for restoring iOS 6 and getting favorite stuff working again. image

  • Reply 7 of 41
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I find the numbers suspect too, but if all of 100,000 developers allowed 10 people to load the beta, we would hit 1 million which is roughly the 1/500 point.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    ivan.rnn01 wrote: »
    ``We teased myriads of seasoned and novice tech bloggers with our beta-stuff. They handed us a nice check in exchange for their fake developer accounts.''

    ....
    P.S. Another one to Apple Store geniuses all over the world for restoring iOS 6 and getting favorite stuff working again. :p

    I get your point, but to be fair Apple collects about $10 million a year for ios developer accounts and they will pay out more than $5 billion to developer. Someone is actually making software.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post



    Someone is actually making software.


    Oh, they, sure, are.


     


    Novice bloggers with fake accounts contribute 1-star ratings and the holy anger in the Appstore when apps designed for iOS 6 happen to stop working under beta 7. image

  • Reply 10 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,047member
    I've been playing with it for a day or so. (I'll go back to iOS6 after a couple of days, and wait for the final product).

    There's been a lot of grumbling and whining about the UI here and elsewhere. I LOVE it. Granted, some of the icons are candy-color bright and could perhaps be toned down a tad, but Safari, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Weather, Control Center, Camera are all killers. (Especially iTunes Radio. I really do feel badly for all the other offerings out there.)

    For the record, I also love the new font.

    At the end of the day, when the product is finally finished and rolled out, it will blow people away.
  • Reply 11 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    I've been playing with it for a day or so. (I'll go back to iOS6 after a couple of days, and wait for the final product).



    There's been a lot of grumbling and whining about the UI here and elsewhere. I LOVE it. Granted, some of the icons are candy-color bright and could perhaps be toned down a tad, but Safari, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Weather, Control Center, Camera are all killers. (Especially iTunes Radio. I really do feel badly for all the other offerings out there.)



    For the record, I also love the new font.



    At the end of the day, when the product is finally finished and rolled out, it will blow people away.


    I agree with you. People are going to love it! :)

  • Reply 12 of 41
    adamcadamc Posts: 568member
    jragosta wrote: »
    This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.

    There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. There are something like 100,000 iOS developers - so the ratio should be 5,000 to 1 - even if every single developer has a device on iOS 7. That's 1/10 of what Chitika says is already in use.

    iOS 7 is on Torrents.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    adamc wrote: »
    iOS 7 is on Torrents.

    Good luck installing without a developer account.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,746member
    Didn't Apple say they doubled the number of registered iOS developers since last year? In other words, the number of people who can load the beta... I'm sure there are also people signing up for $100 developer account just to play with the beta.
    Yes, and sadly about as many developers joining as people hacking it.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Really? Come on Appleinsider, you are better than this.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    A lot of buzz words in this article but, basically the last paragraph.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    wovel wrote: »
    I find the numbers suspect too, but if all of 100,000 developers allowed 10 people to load the beta, we would hit 1 million which is roughly the 1/500 point.

    adamc wrote: »
    jragosta wrote: »
    This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.

    There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. There are something like 100,000 iOS developers - so the ratio should be 5,000 to 1 - even if every single developer has a device on iOS 7. That's 1/10 of what Chitika says is already in use.

    iOS 7 is on Torrents.

    adamc wrote: »
    iOS 7 is on Torrents.

    Good luck installing without a developer account.


    The numbers are not surprising. Since the iOS 6 betas Apple has not been enforcing the check to see if the devices are registered on developer accounts. They are taking the same approach as with OS X (ignoring unauthorized installations). As a result plenty of people are installing and experimenting with the betas so it's only natural the numbers of users far surpass the numbers of developers.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,108member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    I've been playing with it for a day or so. (I'll go back to iOS6 after a couple of days, and wait for the final product).



    There's been a lot of grumbling and whining about the UI here and elsewhere. I LOVE it. Granted, some of the icons are candy-color bright and could perhaps be toned down a tad, but Safari, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Weather, Control Center, Camera are all killers. (Especially iTunes Radio. I really do feel badly for all the other offerings out there.)



    For the record, I also love the new font.



    At the end of the day, when the product is finally finished and rolled out, it will blow people away.


    I don't like Safari. I do not like it at all. I agree with the rest: major improvement. My beef with Safari is how the navigation (forward, share, backward and bookmark) go away and hide. Why can't they simply have the bar go transparent so you can still get to the controls quickly.


     


    I can't say how much I really dislike the hiding of the controls.

  • Reply 20 of 41
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



    This, more than anything, makes me suspect that Chitika's numbers are meaningless. I don't believe that one out of every 500 iOS devices is already using iOS 7.


     


    You're right that the report is fairly meaningless, but here's why:


     


    Chitika is not claiming any particular number of devices, or even percentage of devices.


     


    Chitika is simply reporting the percentage of ads being viewed on iOS7 devices.


     


    (People trying out the new browser would boost that percentage.  So would multiple page+ad fetches if the new browser doesn't cache very well.)


     


    Of course, the report itself works double duty as an ad for the Chitika ad network.


     


    Quote:


    There are something like 500 M iOS devices in use. 



     


    Point of order:  500 M sold since 2007. The number still in use is unknown.


     


    Quote:


    There are something like 100,000 iOS developers -



     


    That number gets artificially boosted each time there's a beta like this, as clever people all over the world sign up as developers so they can sell a hundred "test" slots per signup to make quick cash.  Apple doesn't mind of course, since they can brag about how many developers have "signed up for the new iOS version".


     


    (There was an insider article in Wired not long ago reporting that many of these sellers have dozens of developer accounts.)

Sign In or Register to comment.