New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Everyone here had th trash can thought pop I their head and chuckled a little. The people who keep repeating it are more than a little disturbed.

It actually reminds me of a garbage disposal unit.

• Reply 22 of 110
    erannerann Posts: 38member
    And we all know that Mac Pro will be the most imitated form factor in PC industry during the next 2 years.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    When it debuted the iPad got similar treatment for it's name. That didn't last very long, however, as people realised how good a product it actually was.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's hardly news. The Apple haters have been doing this with every product Apple has made for decades. They don't have any vision of their own and don't understand Apple's drive for simplicity and quality, so they criticize.

Best to simply ignore it. Giving them attention only encourages them.

I don't know about that. I actually think some of the images are funny and appear to be meant in good humor. Just look at all of the Superbowl blackout images that were generated before the lights even came back on. I don't think any of those were truly criticisms either.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts. At least it would have been replaceable parts (GPU etc...). There would have been more room for RAM and storage with the all new Flash parts, PCI slots etc... That would have been a beast of a machine. But instead Apple released the all new Mac Canister. Its basically a dust vacuum sucking up all the dust from the bottom up! Oh and forget about putting it on the carpet, thats a fire hazard!

It's a pro machine.  It's not intended for your rec-room.  

I'd like to see someone come out with a drive array for it and a custom desk for both to fit into before I buy it for my home, or maybe some kind of drive array that stacks underneath the main cylinder, but the pros that it was actually built for won't care about that.  It's only people like you and me trying to use it for a desktop replacement that will have problems with the design. 

I'm thinking I might still be able to use the thing if I move all my storage to NAS's around the house, then it's just the cylinder and a monitor on a nice sleek desk. 

• Reply 26 of 110
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts.

I'm not sure I follow your 'mess of wires' statement - especially when you offer a picture that compares a desktop to an iMac to illustrate your point? 

I have an iMac in my living room that is used for surfing and email primarily that has a single A/C plug and a keyboard / mouse cable that is very clean wire-wise, but I also have a Mac Pro in my music room along with a Pro Tools HDX rig where EVERY port and card slot is being used for something.  As others have stated; a Mac Pro is not something that a casual user might need to or want to spend money on for a lot of reasons. 

Just like my current Mac Pro, I suspect that my next Mac Pro / Pro Tools setup will have many cables and devices connected to it.  In my case, wires and things hanging off the back and front of my Mac Pro go with the territory. So how is this new design any different than my current Mac Pro design?

• Reply 27 of 110
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

When it debuted the iPad got similar treatment for it's name. That didn't last very long, however, as people realised how good a product it actually was.

Yep, the feminine napkin jokes abruptly stopped after the first sales figures were released. Then the haters had to take a deep breath, gulp, and start talking about how tablets had been around for years, and how the next Android tablet would kill the iPad. They are so predictable.

• Reply 28 of 110
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Everyone here had th trash can thought pop I their head and chuckled a little. The people who keep repeating it are more than a little disturbed.

Indeed.  "Cylinder looks like a cylinder." 

Let's compare it to every other cylindrical object in existence.  image image

• Reply 29 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd like to see someone come out with a drive array for it and a custom desk for both to fit into before I buy it for my home, or maybe some kind of drive array that stacks underneath the main cylinder, but the pros that it was actually built for won't care about that.  It's only people like you and me trying to use it for a desktop replacement that will have problems with the design. 

The problem with the cylindrical design is that the only direction you can vent the fans is up. If you stacked it on top of another cylinder such as a disk array there is nowhere to vent its fans. With the more traditional cubiod design, all venting points to the rear and therefore peripherals can be stacked. The traditional shape also lends itself to datacenter style racking where you have a hot aisle and a cold aisle.

• Reply 30 of 110

The black cylinder doesn't excite me, however I really like the deep emerald green tone applied in one of the images of the article, and could easily see THAT on my desk (sans Mario).  A deep ruby red tone or deep amethyst purple would look well also.  I instantly liked the HAL image, too, but realize that wouldn't work because of blocking the air vent.  Nice idea tho'.

• Reply 31 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,421moderator
    Everybody who doesn't like the design just needs to chill out and have a cup of coffee:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26832/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Even Call of Duty dog likes it:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26833/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

and if you're upset about it...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26834/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

(or really happy about it)
  • Reply 32 of 110
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Why is this even an article?

There are many mocking iOS 7 yet there's no separate article for that (nor should there be).

The new Mac Pro looks like an aluminum trash can, we all already knew that.

At first I kind of associated it to a circular version of the "2001" film 'monolith'. Then I found out it was only 10" tall.

I didn't think 'trash can' until everyone else started projecting that association onto it. That shape is clearly a good design on many levels, for many applications. 

Most of this 'noise' reminds me of the hubbub when the iPad was announced… poking fun at the name, then the product itself.

I'm sure the Mac Pro won't ever be as mainstream as the iPad (although wouldn't it be just like Apple to give it a consumer-level entry price that sends sales through the roof), but it will still outlive the mockery and take its place as a respected device. 

Or not… ;)

• Reply 33 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Sales of that trash can are going to go through the roof!

I want to buy one and stick an apple decal on the side of it :D

• Reply 34 of 110

Quote:

Not a fan of the design. It will lead to mess of wires on the desk (think octopus). http://www.deltaflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/imac_vs_dell-1.jpg I would have preferred the current Mac Pro design with new parts. At least it would have been replaceable parts (GPU etc...). There would have been more room for RAM and storage with the all new Flash parts, PCI slots etc... That would have been a beast of a machine. But instead Apple released the all new Mac Canister. Its basically a dust vacuum sucking up all the dust from the bottom up! Oh and forget about putting it on the carpet, thats a fire hazard!

Dude, you are clearly over thinking it, and doing that with little basis in actual knowledge of the product… please, stop. It just makes you look foolish.

That said, if you really think you have a "better design", draw it up and submit it. I'd love to see a rendering of your idea. You know, the one that incorporates the same levels of engineering and performance while enabling all those "better options"… 

Fire hazard and dust vacuum…? Yeah, right, Apple is clearly ignoring all those 'glaring realities' in service to the need to make it look like a waste bin.

• Reply 35 of 110
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,009member
    I like it fine. But I don't think it will be imitated because the market for desktop computers is shrinking so quickly. There is little incentive for PC makers to compete anymore by being innovative. All-in-Ones (mostly iMacs) have sucked most of the air out of what's left of the consumer market, and pros who need high-powered towers will either buy this if they are Mac shops, or beige box PCs if they're not. Whiz-bang designs are not going to bring many PCers over to the Mac side or vice-versa. Just not enough market to bother competing over. Only exception is gamer machines like Alienware, but Apple ceded that niche market to PC long ago.

All the innovation and competition is in handhelds going forward.

The new PowerMac Pro is Apple's marquee machine. More symbolic and about bragging rights than about market share.
  • Reply 36 of 110

I really like the Darth Vader one, that would be cool.

• Reply 37 of 110
    erann wrote: »
    And we all know that Mac Pro will be the most imitated form factor in PC industry during the next 2 years.

Exactly. And if you point this out, PC apologists will say "everyone copies from everyone else!" Or "so Apple thinks it invented the cylinder huh?"

I expect these to show up on fashionable desks in movies and TV shows. It's what Tony Stark would use.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

I wonder how many people realize that the shape of the Cray and the shape of the Pro are similar for the same reason? Both are designed for efficient cooling.

This is what people who whine about lack of internal hard drives don't get-- this is a very powerful machine, designed to be a powerful machine.

Hard drives are commodity.... but a well designed CPU 2 GPU core like this is not something you can get from PC dudes.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    What no feminine product jokes?
  • Reply 40 of 110
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Looks like a black Jet Engine to me.

I wonder of it runs without the outer shell? That would look bad-ass.