New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    haggar wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your decades of service to Apple.  Where would Apple be without you to defend everything they do?

Sorry, but pointing out that there have been mindless Apple haters for decades isn't 'defending Apple'. It's just pointing out how foolish and juvenile you and the other Apple haters look.
  • Reply 82 of 110
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,701member

I find it interesting that no one seems to care if the new Mac Pro is going to be fast.

• Reply 83 of 110
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I find it interesting that no one seems to care if the new Mac Pro is going to be fast.

It's fast... no doubt.

But I think people are sad that they can't plug in the four SATA drives from their current Mac Pro...

:D
  • Reply 84 of 110

You know, satire can bring out the bowels in human nature.  I'm guessing 95% of the human population can't cope with change.  I sneered at the 'trash can' comments.  I have the magic moment of the Mac Pro reveal in my mind.  I think Phil did a terrific job unleashing the preview.  'Can't innovate anymore.  My ass.' ;)  It took my breath away - complete nerd gasm on the look and the spec.

People griping at Apple innovation?

Sound familar?

Remember the fuss about the iMac bondi?

The iPod?  (over priced...will never sell...what's Apple doing?)

Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

The iPhone (glass screen?  Yes Eric Schmidt Android cheap ass copy stab Apple in the back users...)

iPad...(just a big iPod...teh really?)

The Blue and White towers...teh Alu Tower...and now...

...a true revolution in desktop design...

'Darth Pro.'

I'm a big iMac fan (though I started my Mac life as a Power Tower Clone user back in '97...)  I love the new iMac.  I think it's a work of art.

But even the new preview Mac Pro is simply astonishing.  It's so radical for a 'tower' or Mini Tower (rather) design.  A design masterclass.  A true revolution in cooling...power...per inch...dual gpus with vast Open CL computation...real super hard core, chew yer nuts up 7 teraflops of back breaking computational grunt, super fast SSD PCIe, ten times faster than current HDs, TB2 for x6 ports and daisy chain away...extensibility far in excess of what you could do within a limited enclosure...all...all in the size of 1/8th of the old Pro?  The size of the old Cube?

Hopefully they'll offer a 'get on the ladder' model to get people into the stores with the intention of at least walking out with it.  If it was £1295, I'd be carrying one out...and I have an iMac... :P  It's got the design to scale from Prosumer 'Tower' to Professional 'Tower' territory.  It's up to Apple.  They're holding the cards.

You know you're onto something when you're the subject of parody and satire.  i.e.  People who change the world and the 95% who follow.  Same old, same old.  It's human nature to want change but be slow to embrace it.

Questions arise about price.  But September/October will come soon enough...depends on if Apple gets TB ports and the Intel CPUs...earlier or not...

I'll have serious penis envy when the new Mac Pro is released.  I'm honest about it. :P

The Darth Pro.  Design Genius.  Apple's most outstanding desktop yet.  Light years ahead of all workstations.  They swung for the fence and knocked it out the city.  Simply stunning.  Astonishing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 85 of 110

No doubt.

Apple's and Steve's legacy?

Is in safe hands.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 86 of 110
    This one was made with love as I plan to step right up and buy one of these bad boys as soon as they are available. Doesn't mean I don't think it looks like a Minion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckleytypographics/9030479182/
  • Reply 87 of 110
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    nitewing98 wrote: »
    Let the haters have their fun. I admit, I find some of the pics cute. But eventually the joke will blow over and we'll be left with another revolutionary computer.

sflocal wrote: »
    When they can't give credible criticism, people resort to childish name-calling and insults.

Why is the assumption that they're haters? Can't people poke fun at the mighty Apple or does that bother your delicate sensibilities too much?
  • Reply 88 of 110
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    caliminius wrote: »

Why is the assumption that they're haters? Can't people poke fun at the mighty Apple or does that bother your delicate sensibilities too much?

Actually you can't. The zealots here won't allow it. That's how they roll.
  • Reply 89 of 110

Actually, the Cray was shaped the way it was not for cooling reasons, but for speed reasons.  The round shape allowed the wires that made up the backplane to be shorter, which reduced the propagation time for signals between modules.  This was true for the Cray I and the Cray 2.

• Reply 90 of 110
    It just looks like a D-Link Cloud Gigabit Router...

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/prodimages/D-Link_DIR-826L_Cloud_Gigabit_Router_N600_DIR-826L_B_1_medium.jpg

And the back of the new Airport is kind of the same.

• Reply 91 of 110
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Based on the Mac Pro web page, it looks like there is only a single SSD slot even though the 2 boards appear identical, except for the slot.  Are these pictures simply from an earlier design and the Mac Pro will have 2 SSD slots when it ships?  Given the apparent simplicity of taking off the cover and installing the SSD card, would Apple actually try to take steps to prevent people from easily adding a second SSD?  For example, they might make a Mac Pro "Server" model as the only model that supports 2 internal SSDs.  And when you buy this "Server", you have to buy it with both SSDs already installed from Apple (and with large Apple tax).  Or do you think Apple will make all Mac Pros with 2 SSD slots and have one of them open for future upgrades?

I would be impressed if it supported 3 internal SSDs, one on each of the 3 boards.

• Reply 92 of 110
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

That said, if you really think you have a "better design", draw it up and submit it. I'd love to see a rendering of your idea. You know, the one that incorporates the same levels of engineering and performance while enabling all those "better options"… 

Well to start a cylinder isn't the most practical shape for a workstation (or rack mounting in the server room). So I'd ditch the cylinder and stick with the current mac pro case. As for the "thermal core" its no different then other heat sinks except that its shared by the CPU and 2 GPU's. I would have gone with the Sandia Cooler which is 30 times more efficient. The Sandia cooler merges the heat sink and fan into one unit: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/06/sandia_national.php

For added efficiency I would use copper versus aluminum in the Sandia cooler for the heat sink/fan as copper is better at dissipating heat.

Apple went with flash for storage to save space in the new design and for performance. Had the kept the current rectangular design they could have had even MORE space to add flash storage. They could have also given users the option between choosing optical drives or more flash storage versus just scrapping optical drives.

The rectangular design would have also allowed more GPU's versus just 2 (I would go taller for more space). Lights out management and dual redundant power supplies would have been a great addition. Obviously thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 along with other standard ports (audio in/out, dual ethernet etc...)

• Reply 93 of 110
    I found other funny images here: https://www.facebook.com/WhatNewMacProShouldBe

:D
  • Reply 94 of 110
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Lots of people joining all over the place.  Just like with the iPad and the MacBook Air.

• Reply 95 of 110
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

When Phil said it was the very first round computer I immediately thought not true the Cray I as this article point out was round as well and they too make it round for cooling and performance reason. So happen Apple was one of the few company in the world who happen to have their own Cray computer. They used it to do plastic molding modeling as well as heat transfer modeling which was long before most of the PC companies even thought about heat management.

• Reply 96 of 110
    In reference to the Cray 1 picture in the article

I would like to suggest Apple or third parties to manufacture an extension chassis for the MacPro, that would sit comfortably underneath and offer loads of space for Raids, PCI cards and lots of stuff that professionals want.

http://www.dna-vaderschapstest.be/images/LabPics/McProWExtensionChassis.jpg
  • Reply 97 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,421moderator
    In reference to the Cray 1 picture in the article

I would like to suggest Apple or third parties to manufacture an extension chassis for the MacPro, that would sit comfortably underneath and offer loads of space for Raids, PCI cards and lots of stuff that professionals want.

It draws cold air from the base. Having hot components underneath would be detrimental to that.

A few people will be saying how their Mac Pro setup was cleaner than say this:

but even that simple example is not the same setup. The Current Mac Pro can't hold two high-end GPUs and have 4 drives in hardware RAID along with a PCIe SSD boot drive and an AV card and have 3 slots free in the Magma chassis.

The Pegasus RAID box can sit anywhere, the Magma chassis probably won't be needed unless someone really can't find a Thunderbolt replacement for their PCI card. Peripherals like fibre channel adaptors or the Blackmagic adaptors are pretty small and if they aren't used daily, can be unplugged and sit in a drawer.

Maybe 3rd parties will come out with matching peripherals but Thunderbolt peripherals are used by more than just the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It draws cold air from the base. Having hot components underneath would be detrimental to that.

but even that simple example is not the same setup. The Current Mac Pro can't hold two high-end GPUs and have 4 drives in hardware RAID along with a PCIe SSD boot drive and an AV card and have 3 slots free in the Magma chassis.

The Pegasus RAID box can sit anywhere, the Magma chassis probably won't be needed unless someone really can't find a Thunderbolt replacement for their PCI card. Peripherals like fibre channel adaptors or the Blackmagic adaptors are pretty small and if they aren't used daily, can be unplugged and sit in a drawer.

Maybe 3rd parties will come out with matching peripherals but Thunderbolt peripherals are used by more than just the Mac Pro.

Even if the expansion unit sat next to the Mac Pro, it would be fine.  The point was to have a single unit with several drive bays and slots, along with a single power supply and single power cord.  The Mac Pro could be marketed as a 2 piece workstation, a core unit and an I/O unit.

• Reply 99 of 110
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Marvin wrote: »

Some of that was Apple's choice. The Mac Pro power supply could handle dual super high power GPUs, the OS could handle them too, but Apple didn't include enough power connectors to actually deliver enough current to the cards.

Even in their newest announcement, it seems like they're holding back. To me, it looks like there could be another four RAM slots, and there could have been more slots for the PCIe drives.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    mactacmactac Posts: 318member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Suppose we call it the tubular architecture.

Tubular?

That's such an 80s thing.