Microsoft once again uses Siri to hawk Windows 8 tablets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ergio View Post

They always start projects and forget about them. They are what you call an the creators of obsolete.

True that, I've got the Zune, smart watch, Nook and webTV to prove it.

• Reply 42 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy-UK View Post

Erm, remember all those 'I'm a PC' ads in which Apple did precisely that? The underdog pitches against the market leader, that's how it works. These ads are smart, cheeky and funny and if they spur Apple on to step up the pace of product launches and widen the range of options then so much the better. 

LOL SINCE WHEN IS MICROSOFT WINDOWS THE "UNDERDOG"???

But please, continue to grow or shrink Microsoft's market share as necessary to support whichever argument you are making at the time.

• Reply 43 of 64
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Hey Microsoft... you know the iPad is a very iconic device, right? It's probably one of the most recognized devices in the world.

And when you show it on the screen, even for a second, people will instantly say "iPad" in their heads.

No matter what the voiceover says... people think "iPad and some other unknown device"

Just like your last Windows Phone commercial... the only thing people remember is this guy:

Dear Microsoft... thanks for promoting Apple!
    Yes 100% true, This comercial, alli can think is retarded vs professional(if you need to java a apple product advertise your products, then you are sad)
    My list earlier 4) Usable space 28 gb on IPad, less than 20 windows, correct me if I am wrong however?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    thomas040 wrote: »
    Well now in foresight, iOS 7 will have multi-tasking .. you CAN pinch to move out of an app, but you need to use all five fingers :) 

rayz wrote: »
    I was never a fan of the "Mac vs PC" ads either, but they were much better. Apple advertising tends to focus on the bigger picture, like not having to deal with viruses, or being easier to set up.
    This advert focuses on not having an SD card slot, a problem easy solved with a visit to the Apple Store.
    The PC vs Mac ads left me thinking "Wow Apple, that's a bit smug."
    This MS ad left me thinking "Jeez Microsoft, is that all you've got?"
    Yes, as on my list
  • Reply 45 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Just like your last Windows Phone commercial... the only thing people remember is this guy:

Dear Microsoft... thanks for promoting Apple!

I remember the Samsung guy bumping phones to exchange playlists and going "WHEEE!!!"

What's really sad about the Windows Phone 8 "Wedding" ad is it did absolutely nothing to explain why anyone should buy a Windows Phone 8 phone. it was just free advertising for Apple and Samsung.

• Reply 46 of 64
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I remember the Samsung guy bumping phones to exchange playlists and going "WHEEE!!!"
    What's really sad about the Windows Phone 8 "Wedding" ad is it did absolutely nothing to explain why anyone should buy a Windows Phone 8 phone. it was just free advertising for Apple and Samsung.

Exactly.

Windows Phone is still a relatively "new guy" in the smartphone game.

But 2.5 years later... Microsoft's ads still can't explain why someone should choose a Windows Phone instead of an iPhone or an Android phone.

The wedding commercial spent more time showing features of the competing platforms... Siri, S-Beam, and they even made reference to the well-known slogan "There's an App for That" which debuted in 2008

Either Microsoft is bad at marketing... or their products themselves just aren't that competitive...

This latest tablet ad seems to be grasping at straws... attempting to find anything to fault the iPad on.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder if you can copyright a synthesized voice and if so why didn't Apple do it?

For the same reason they didn't copyright a Beatles song.

This makes no sense to me. Are you saying that Samantha (Siri), Daniel, Alex and all of the other Apple voices available in OS X in the System Voice control panel are actually owned by Apple Records, in the UK?

• Reply 48 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Poor old MS. Windows 8 has not been as popular as they would have liked. And now opinion on the web seems to be tilting towards the PS4 being better than the Xbox One (which has overreached too much).

• Reply 49 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy-UK View Post

Erm, remember all those 'I'm a PC' ads in which Apple did precisely that? 

Apple did "precisely" that, with a few important differences:

1) Apple did it with a sense of humor, not as some vicious petty stab. Even at their worst, the gent playing "Mac" was always portrayed as gentle and kind towards the gent playing "PC". It wasn't some vicious and snide-a-thon like the ads we're seeing Microsoft pushing out.

2) The Mac v. PC ads didn't have to invent deficiencies in the "PC" product to make their points - world+dog knew that Windows products got viruses, were limited because of their driver model, were often unreliable at the lower range, etc. Save for dubious features such as of having an SD chip slot built-into the frame, Microsoft *has* to invent them - apparently they have no other choice.

3) Apple didn't have to lie to get their point across - apparently Microsoft has to.

4) Forgot one: The "Mac v. PC ads had a "foe" that was universally recognized to be a crap product with a low satisfaction rating. Microsoft is trying to pit its product against the iPad - an item which has a massive customer satisfaction rating. This is why #1 comes out as true.

• Reply 50 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I thought the commercials were funny but they're exactly the same thing MS is doing. Not as funny or cute but defiantly the same.

• Reply 51 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder if you can copyright a synthesized voice and if so why didn't Apple do it?

They aren't Apple's voices to begin with AFAIK. They are the property of Nuance but licensed to Apple, tho certainly not exclusively.

"Daniel", the default UK voice, came a roundabout way being originally owned by Scansoft who was later absorbed by Nuance (technically the other way around but the Scansoft name changed to Nuance). The "Daniel" voice work dates back to 2006 at least. If you want to hear more of him buy a Garmin. He's one of the available choices. So is "Samantha" who I think is a fair older than "Daniel, maybe back to Speechworks..

EDIT: Samantha is apparently the voice of the Microsoft furnished Ford Sync, so MS likely has a license to her too.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

Well, since we are talking about tablets, I'd say Microsoft Windows has been the underdog since the iPad came out. No?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

They forgot to mention this in the ad.

Yea, I have had my Thinkpad Tablet II since December and have yet to have a crash. In fact my uptime is going on 30 days, last reboot was for an update. I've seen this on my MacBook Air;

twice in the same period, not saying Windows 8 is perfect, far from it but it's very stable.

• Reply 54 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This makes no sense to me. Are you saying that Samantha (Siri), Daniel, Alex and all of the other Apple voices available in OS X in the System Voice control panel are actually owned by Apple Records, in the UK?

... yeah ... that's close enough image

• Reply 55 of 64
    I have a Xoom and an iPad mini. I love the mini because it is just that, mini. I also own a MacBook Pro, iMac, & HP mini (net book). The sad thing is, I need to use them all in order to do everything I want to do. The iPad mini does not have the SD slot, no offense people, a slot built in is worth more than an adaptor, nor does it have adobe flash. I want a tablet with an sd slot, one that I can edit/update my website on, and one that allows me to create my own Access database on. I would be happy with a sturdy database app for the iPad, if anyone knows of a good one. At this point, this commercial did prompt me to look further into the product to see if they had a version that would allow me to work on my website, and with my Access databases, and it sounds to me like they do, the Dell Lattitude 10. Does Apple have a comparable model? Please let me know.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    They don't; so buy that Dell so you can work on your website and Access DB.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    bubblyfun wrote: »
    I have a Xoom and an iPad mini. I love the mini because it is just that, mini. I also own a MacBook Pro, iMac, & HP mini (net book). The sad thing is, I need to use them all in order to do everything I want to do. The iPad mini does not have the SD slot, no offense people, a slot built in is worth more than an adaptor, nor does it have adobe flash. I want a tablet with an sd slot, one that I can edit/update my website on, and one that allows me to create my own Access database on. I would be happy with a sturdy database app for the iPad, if anyone knows of a good one. At this point, this commercial did prompt me to look further into the product to see if they had a version that would allow me to work on my website, and with my Access databases, and it sounds to me like they do, the Dell Lattitude 10. Does Apple have a comparable model? Please let me know.

Apple has always been a 90/90 company.

What do 90% of the people need to do 90% of the time?

Sure... there are plenty of things you cannot do on an iPad... and lucky for you there are other tablets out there.

But over 100 million iPads have been sold that do not have an SD card slot or Adobe Flash. For those people... it's fine.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    But over 100 million iPads have been sold that do not have an SD card slot or Adobe Flash. For those people... it's fine.

It's also fine for people who think they need a SD slot; this particular poster should simply make use of todays tech and have pictures available online so you can sync/copy/download/upload them.

That's not to say that there's no reason to not wish for a SD slot; I use the CCK when shooting pictures out and about. Even then I sometimes do it over EyeFi; no CCK needed.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    philboogie wrote: »
    It's also fine for people who think they need a SD slot; this particular poster should simply make use of todays tech and have pictures available online so you can sync/copy/download/upload them.

That's not to say that there's no reason to not wish for a SD slot; I use the CCK when shooting pictures out and about. Even then I sometimes do it over EyeFi; no CCK needed.

Yeah... there's no harm in wishing for some features to come to the iPad... but be prepared if they don't come true ;)
  • Reply 60 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bubblyfun wrote: »
    The iPad mini does not have the SD slot, no offense people, a slot built in is worth more than an adaptor, nor does it have adobe flash.

Neither of those things mean anything to anyone using tech from this decade.
    Does Apple have a comparable model?

Quit trolling.