Briefly: Jony Ive's title at Apple shortened to 'SVP of Design'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.

+1 I'm gonna reserve final judgement for the finished product, but so far, it looks like he needs to go back to hardware design.

• Reply 22 of 53
    rick5rick5 Posts: 2member
    How much did he get paid for making the lines thinner and removing the gloss layer from the icons? What will they all do for the rest of the year?
  • Reply 23 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomousgerm View Post

His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.

So what should iOS 7 look like?

• Reply 24 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick5 View Post

How much did he get paid for making the lines thinner and removing the gloss layer from the icons? What will they all do for the rest of the year?

You actually took the effort of registering to type such a shitty post? There's not a single PIXEL in iOS7 that has remained unchanged. But I'm sure you knew that. 

• Reply 25 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

I'd prefer him to be Head of Industrial Design with a focus on the iPhone/iPad/Laptops and let someone else develop a non-Mac Pro/non-iMac desktop variant with new Displays and then the Mac Pro.

The Mac Mini is a waste for it's gutless nature as it in no way competes with any of the other lines, especially capabilities wise.

The Mac Pro will be a machine that pushes the baseline price up several thousand dollars, yet people keep deluding themselves in thinking the $3k in GPGPUs is somehow going to be put into a baseline of $2400.

Apple is eliminating the non-Mac Pro crowd who wants to buy external monitors to a non-AIO and that want to spend something on a solution that isn't the size of a large last season's Airport Extreme base station.

On a side note, I feel like sticking a tongue down my mouth every time he comes out on video in a stark white backdrop and puts on that artificially sweet voice about how much we care about design drivel. Everything comes out of him like he's coming down from a two day acid high.

• Reply 26 of 53
    ciparisciparis Posts: 87member
    The title has been set appropriately, as it should have been from the start. That said, they would do well to avoid releasing betas with such garish gradients in the future.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I don't like the new UI, but I've seen a few people running it already who are very happy with it.
    Personal preference, I guess.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ok. So there are a few of you malcontents out there pissed off enough to be constantly whining about how much you dislike iOS7.

We heard you twice the first time.

Suck it up.

No.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd prefer him to be Head of Industrial Design with a focus on the iPhone/iPad/Laptops and let someone else develop a non-Mac Pro/non-iMac desktop variant with new Displays and then the Mac Pro.

The Mac Mini is a waste for it's gutless nature as it in no way competes with any of the other lines, especially capabilities wise.

The Mac Pro will be a machine that pushes the baseline price up several thousand dollars, yet people keep deluding themselves in thinking the $3k in GPGPUs is somehow going to be put into a baseline of $2400.

Apple is eliminating the non-Mac Pro crowd who wants to buy external monitors to a non-AIO and that want to spend something on a solution that isn't the size of a large last season's Airport Extreme base station.

On a side note, I feel like sticking a tongue down my mouth every time he comes out on video in a stark white backdrop and puts on that artificially sweet voice about how much we care about design drivel. Everything comes out of him like he's coming down from a two day acid high.
    You still sore that Scott was fired?
  • Reply 30 of 53
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    The Nokia N9 with Meego looks better IMHO and that was in 3 years ago in 2010.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I always wonder why the iphone didn't turn out looking Mac Esque in silver....seems everything is going restyled black with champferred edges ;) perhaps macs will next year. The 3.1 was black I know.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...looks like there are some hidden features people are finding in iOS 7, like the ability to hide built in apps, create folders within folders, and additional gestures like pinching to close an app folder. I wonder if any of this will ever be available to the public?

http://************/2013/06/17/hidden-settings-show-apple-tested-gesture-folder-enhancements-for-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

settings1.png

settings2.png
  • Reply 33 of 53
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member

Poor baby.
  • Reply 34 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

This is wrong on so many levels.

O/T: iOS7 is such a fantastic springboard to an exceedingly bright future. It's like the Aqua OSX 10.0 compared to drab NextStep. Can't wait for the engineers to do a couple of feature releases and some under-the-hood Snow/Mountain rewrites!

The negative comments are grossly unwarranted. I've watched the WWDC Keynote a few times and the current iOS all of a sudden looks old and dated compared to iOS7.

Please watch the Keynote. The "flat" description does such a disservice to iOS7. It is more layered than anything else. 

• Reply 35 of 53
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    The negative comments are grossly unwarranted. I've watched the WWDC Keynote a few times and the current iOS all of a sudden looks old and dated compared to iOS7.

Please watch the Keynote. The "flat" description does such a disservice to iOS7. It is more layered than anything else. 

Perhaps I was ambiguous, sorry if so. Calling it a "flat" design is completely wrong, it has many levels and is a delight to behold. As a designer, I nearly wet myself with joy at the keynote, it's gorgeous. All this hate has been stirred up by "journalists" like those on The Verge to make headlines or with conflicts of interest, especially those affiliated with Google. And it's obviously a load of BS.
  • Reply 36 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Perhaps I was ambiguous, sorry if so. Calling it a "flat" design is completely wrong, it has many levels and is a delight to behold. As a designer, I nearly wet myself with joy at the keynote, it's gorgeous. All this hate has been stirred up by "journalists" like those on The Verge to make headlines or with conflicts of interest, especially those affiliated with Google. And it's obviously a load of BS.

Agreed! TimmyDax! :)

• Reply 37 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

The Nokia N9 with Meego looks better IMHO and that was in 3 years ago in 2010.

And no doubt everyone who bought one agrees.

All three of them.

But in reralityworld it looks nothing like the N9:

http://www.ravianimator.com/nokia-n9.html

• Reply 38 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow news day.

Gotta dangle the click bait.

• Reply 39 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I've always had great respect for your posts but I think you are being a little mean in the last paragraph. Jony has been (as far as I can remember) consistent from day one in his presentations and I for one believe that is the real him, like it or not. You often times quote your personal knowledge of times past, well here is my turn. ;) I attended the University next to the polytechnic where Jony studied for his Industrial Design degree in Newcastle and my best mate was at the same poly doing the same course as Jony. I have to tell you, my mate, also from the south of England sounded exactly the same when he explained his fiber glass cello he designed. :D

Regarding the 3K in chips ... ouch. So what is your estimate for an entry model Mac Pro?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ruel24 wrote: »

+1 I'm gonna reserve final judgement for the finished product, but so far, it looks like he needs to go back to hardware design.

I will also attempt to keep from being too judgemental, but if the release version of iOS 7 is not a vastly improved piece of software, (hopefully this doesn't come off as over dramatic) I will sell all my AAPL stock. Jony Ive is not a seasoned graphic designer, I can only hope that there is a seasoned professional with a strong voice who will take up the mantle of functional design at Apple or they are in far worse shape than even I imagined. Gods, this is so depressing... I really want to like iOS 7.