Inside iOS 7: Calendar app comes with sterilized UI, few feature changes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Actually, this would be year, month, and day views, with week view missing (if it exists)

I'm not a fan of this design either.  I absolutely hate the bright red highlight (and the entire idea of colour coded apps), and it's trying so hard to copy Windows Phone that it's just embarrassing.  I find the new contacts app similar.  

What's been missing for years in both apps is a good, robust, feature set.  All they've done here is re-skin the thing.  How about making a better calendar (and Contacts) instead?  I don't think Apple understands this stuff at all.

Looking at this Calendar app makes me think that IOS 7 will be the "New Coke". I love my iPhone and iPad but now think I have to look at WP 8 and android next. I loath skinny fonts because I can't see them. This is as stupid a decision as dumping google maps too early - apple seems to be cutting off its nose to spite its face.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    While i appreciate the elimination of the useless textures, there's only one thing i really want changed in calendar: multiple dots for scheduled items in the month view, instead of one dot for any number of items (as well as NOT marking a dot if you choose not to mark the time as busy). This should be kind of a no-brainer, Apple.

As for the GUI... it's really gone too far in the opposite direction all over the whole OS. They need to reel it back again and make it look more like what it claims to be: controls on a screen that we're supposed to intuitively identify and operate, as well as READABLE (fonts are too thin!!).
  • Reply 83 of 102
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogern View Post

Who cares about this calendar app...if Apple wants to keep all of the developers who created the majority of the 900,000 IOS apps they brag about...why would they want to make a full-featured "free" operating system app?  There are so many cheap personal information managers apps to choose from that anyone serious about managing their calendar or to-do list wouldn't even consider using the "free" OS app!  The selection and low cost of the alternatives is what it is all about.  Looking back to the PC days, when it costs $70-$500 to buy "full-featured" alternatives to free OS apps, as users, we are in heaven now!

I'm of this mind a little as well.  The free IOS calendar is great unless you need a better one, of which there are some, and worth the few bucks.  The current one has always been about the 4th or 5th best one out there, IMO.  Not making any judgments on speculations from the beta, but this one will probably hold the same rank.

• Reply 84 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Interesting point, but that would probably interfere with the overall coherence of iOS. While the lighter color is more lively (I think I'll like it this way), it might be nice to have a dark mode and a medium (warmer) mode as well (a la android, as mentioned in a recent AI article), perhaps in iOS 8, once people digest these new changes.

They'll either digest them or go blind trying :lol:. Speaking of AI's post this right here is a nice shade of white that isn't harsh on the eyes.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    This is probably one of my favorite redesigns. Being able to see a full year is awesome. I need that surprisingly often.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    All I know is these white UI's will drain the battery faster and force you to upgrade your phone every year instead of every two years.... : /

Do you even think before you write? When was the last time Apple released hardware or software that had LESS battery life than its predecessor? Did you even watch the WWDC presentation where they spoke at great length about all the ways they're optimizing power consumption?
  • Reply 87 of 102
    gtr wrote: »
    This is an interesting quote.

Obviously, if you are 'sure' about this, then you have some information about Apple that most of us are not aware of.

Care to share?

He was not referring to Apple. They would never do this. It's simply not in their DNA.

The "others" he refers to are Apple competitors. Microsoft, for instance, has a long history of paying both shills and trolls.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    gtr wrote: »
    That entire article is about Samsung paying trolls.

Where does it mention anybody else?

Your quote gives the impression that Apple is also paying trolls, etc...

Yet another reason to hate Samsung. This company has no shame.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottkitts View Post

Wow. All that red sure is hostile. Sterile and hostile, what great design aesthetic!

Radar bug report: "OS only drawing white where GUI should be. Suspect video driver issue." ;-)

• Reply 90 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    All I know is these white UI's will drain the battery faster and force you to upgrade your phone every year instead of every two years.... : /

Maybe that's how displays work in insanityland, but not in reality.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    Maybe that's how displays work in insanityland, but not in reality.

It takes more power to display white in every screen but I'm guessing the average person won't have the calendar app open for more than a few minutes so it really wouldn't be a noticeable difference in battery usage.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It takes more power to display white in every screen...

Once again, fantasyland, insanity land, whatever you want to call it: you're wrong.

That would be the reason I'm rebutting it in the first place. If you're not wrong... there's nothing to say about it. Nor should there be.
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Once again, fantasyland, insanity land, whatever you want to call it: you're wrong.

That would be the reason I'm rebutting it in the first place. If you're not wrong... there's nothing to say about it. Nor should there be.

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, and at least I'm man enough to admit it.
  • Reply 94 of 102
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, and at least I'm man enough to admit it.

Cheer up, bucko; I'm sure you'll eventually say something on-topic and correct. Probability says so, even if that's decades out.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Cheer up, bucko; I'm sure you'll eventually say something on-topic and correct. Probability says so, even if that's decades out.

HA!!! Flattery will get you nowhere my friend. :no:
  • Reply 96 of 102

What! No events preview in month-view? It's the only view I ever use.

• Reply 97 of 102
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I think this is a good thing because it means that the calendar app is now designed for the basic user and users can focus on calendar apps that really innovate.

Our app - for example - integrates tasks, events, notes, and contacts - working with Evernote, Google, Toodledo, and our interface is pretty iOS 7 like.
    http://webis.net/wp/pocket-informant-pro/
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27443/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27444/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

We even have natural language recognition for tasks and events so you can create them via natural text like "Have lunch with Joe every week on Friday."
  • Reply 98 of 102
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i can confirm that Zulu calendars (Filemaker Plugin) doesn't works with iOS 7 beta.

i know its a beta but just letting anyone know who tries to update it to iOS 7 beta and start screaming… 

after updating to iOS 7 beta 2 i can confirm everything is back to normal for Zulu calendars (Filemaker Plugin) and its working perfectly.

• Reply 99 of 102

Apple code writers need to be chosen based on being down to earth, real life people - business or otherwise directed and focused people in the real world. The new version of the calendar app is from Mars... Think Coke when they attempted to change their formula. Hello ??? Seriously, if they want to increase market share and keep poeple like me who do not have the time to swipe and tap and swipe again while on the move (this is why we have PDA's), they need to have a serious sit down...

• Reply 100 of 102
    Don't like the white calendar. I find it difficult to read, all I see is bright white staring at me with very tiny gray words! Why did they make it so hard to read. It needs more contrast or let me pick my own background color.