Solar charging stations with Apple Lightning & 30-pin connectors come to New York

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
iPhone, iPad and iPod users on the go can now receive a free boost at a handful of new public solar charging stations in New York City, with more set to appear across the city over the coming days and weeks.

Charge

Goal Zero, AT&T and Pensa collaborated on the new Street Charge stations, which feature three 15-watt solar panels. Each pole has six USB connectors, including 30-pin and Lightning plugs for Apple devices.

The charging stations also include a micro-USB plug for non-Apple devices, as well as three female USB plugs for users who may have a charging cable on them.

As of Tuesday, the first official charging stations are now live at Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 1, Fort Greene Park, Governor's Island, and Riverside Park Pier 1, according to AT&T. Another station is scheduled to open Wednesday at Union Square.

AT&T has said that it will deploy about 25 Street Charge stations by the end of the summer, serving all five of New York City's boroughs. And the inclusion of a 168 watt-hour battery will also allow users to charge their devices even after sundown.

The program grew out of the Superstorm Sandy disaster, when AT&T found that citizens were flocking to its generator-powered distribution centers to charge their phones. That led AT&T to partner with Goal Zero and Brooklyn-based design firm Pensa to develop what it's pitched as a "sustainable charging solution."

"We?re excited to team up with AT&T and Pensa to help make New York a little greener and solar power a little more accessible," said Joe Atkin, President and CEO of Goal Zero. "Nearly half of all Americans own a smartphone and the amount of time we spend on handheld devices has increased dramatically. All too often, we hear the dreaded low-battery beep and it happens at the most inconvenient times. Street Charge will fix that."

Goal Zero has said its Street Charge stations will be modular to meet specific needs. For example, the stations can be modified to add solar-powered lighting, Wi-Fi, and signage for advertisements.

Charge

The stations will come to other heavily trafficked areas of the city this summer, including Coney Island, Rockaways, Summerstage in Central Park, Randall's Island, and Hudson River Park.

"Partnering up with Goal Zero is a great match for us,? said Marco Perry, co-founder of Pensa. "We?re looking to create something that complements its surroundings and invites people to hang out and recharge. We have also found that where people gather, opportunities develop for street vendors and retail, and neglected urban areas come alive."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    So I just stand there while my phone charges? or do I walk away enjoy my day and comeback and prey its charged. For disasters I see the use. For a normal day its useless.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Given all the press "Apple Picking" has gotten in the Big Apple I have to wonder about this outside of areas where there are cops standing right next to the stations (as would be the case in Bryant Park).

ETA: Have to agree with above: benches or some other user freindly arrangement would be better.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Given all the press "Apple Picking" has gotten in the Big Apple I have to wonder about this outside of areas where there are cops standing right next to the stations (as would be the case in Bryant Park).

yep...looks like a crime waiting to happen huh?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

yep...looks like a crime waiting to happen huh?

Agreed.

I'm all for innovative solutions, but I don't see how this is a solution to anything.

• Reply 5 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So I just stand there while my phone charges? or do I walk away enjoy my day and comeback and prey its charged. For disasters I see the use. For a normal day its useless.

Yes, but if your phone is dead, you might appreciate this. 5 minutes or so should be enough to make a couple of quick calls. It wouldn't make much sense to try to fully charge it, though.

Of course, it's more of a PR gimmick than anything.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

For people that routinely kill their batteries from heavy use and don't have the option to charge it normally from an outlet or car charger I would suggest an extended battery. It more than doubles my battery life. 

Here are two companies that offer them. I have the one by Boost and prefer it because when you don't need the battery you can leave it off and snap it on only when you need to use it. 

http://www.boostcase.com/store/portfolio/hybrid-battery-for-iphone-5-white/

http://www.mophie.com/iPhone-5-Power-s/119.htm

• Reply 7 of 47
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but if your phone is dead, you might appreciate this. 5 minutes or so should be enough to make a couple of quick calls. It wouldn't make much sense to try to fully charge it, though.

Great point about the 5 minute recharge....but at the same time it shines a spotlight for a potential thief and paints a target on your back when you walk away....
  • Reply 8 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »

If the amperage is at the highest the device can handle one can get a decent charge in 20-30 minutes. Standing around NYC for half hour isn't a bad thing you might even see a supermodel or two.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's a nice emergency option--and not much more of a target than simply talking on your phone or checking the weather. Be careful! Hopefully the police will be known to keep an eye on these areas.

Rain could be awkward....
  • Reply 10 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I thought the mayor wanted to ban iOS devices in New York?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

So I guess you never run low on battery. Sometimes you need a quick charge to make it home.

As for crime, they aren't in remote areas. I suspect it's no different than playing with your phone on a bench.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Convenient for last minute situations, however efficient when you want to stand under a pole for 30 minutes, otherwise low security and few uses alternatives are inportant
  • Reply 13 of 47
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    FREE! Just let us download all your data! FREE!

Any idea how you make a data diode for a lightning port?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    The problem is that some stupid street thugs will come along and destroy them just like they vandalize other property.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Twenty-five charging stations and what, six outlets? In a city of over 8 million residents and millions more tourists? Yeah, that'll do it. Meanwhile, I'll pull up a folding chair, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the mayhem ensue. I can seriously see the fights breaking out while disgruntled residents wait for a gaggle of tweens get full charges on their iPhones. 

Seriously, I'm still surprised that there hasn't been a commercial service where street vendors hooked up to power provide juice and cables to charge electronic devices for a fee. It could be more secure, folks could walk away and return after a while, and many will pay through the nose to get back to their Instagram-ing and Vine-ing.

Another option is kiosks where small devices can be individually secured and retrieved after charging. For example, a credit card or PIN could be used to authenticate the individual docking and retrieving the device. Security cameras could blanket the area. If $1,000 public, shared "Citibikes" can be secured on the streets of Manhattan, why not phones? 

• Reply 16 of 47
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I thought the mayor wanted to ban iOS devices in New York?

Huh?

• Reply 17 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The problem is that some stupid street thugs will come along and destroy them just like they vandalize other property.

Vandals and the stuff they leave behind is what I'd be worried about. You'd want to put on a pair of rubber gloves before handling....

• Reply 18 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    carthusia wrote: »
    Twenty-five charging stations and what, six outlets? In a city of over 8 million residents and millions more tourists? Yeah, that'll do it. Meanwhile, I'll pull up a folding chair, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the mayhem ensue. I can seriously see the fights breaking out while disgruntled residents wait for a gaggle of tweens get full charges on their iPhones. 

Seriously, I'm still surprised that there hasn't been a commercial service where street vendors hooked up to power provide juice and cables to charge electronic devices for a fee. It could be more secure, folks could walk away and return after a while, and many will pay through the nose to get back to their Instagram-ing and Vine-ing.

Another option is kiosks where small devices can be individually secured and retrieved after charging. For example, a credit card or PIN could be used to authenticate the individual docking and retrieving the device. Security cameras could blanket the area. If $1,000 public, shared "Citibikes" can be secured on the streets of Manhattan, why not phones? 

Most people won't need it. Not sure what you want, 8MM charging stations?

No one will try to break into those "secure" kiosks for phones. /s

If I'm charging my phone in public, it is not leaving my personal space.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If I'm charging my phone in public, it is not leaving my personal space.

Pretty much this: as at airports and whatever where every wall outlet has a person or two sitting next to them while they grab a charge. I've done that myself at PENN station just in case I didn't get a seat next to the window (and the outlets) on the train.

ETA: Oh and as to the "small" rollout? That's a far smarter sequencing than dropping a few thousand on the city and THEN discovering the real world problems with the design.  This way they get to do an edit once the real world usage experience has had it's way with them.