Apple TV update adds HBO Go, WatchESPN & more channels

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    There was a rumor not too long ago that HBO will be releasing a subscription option free of needing a cable subscription...This would be awesome if it came true.
  • Reply 22 of 148
    chrisdfchrisdf Posts: 29member
    They need to add NFL to their sports lineup.
  • Reply 23 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I dont own an Apple TV rigth now, so someone please tell me if the canadian version has TMNGO, which is the equivalent of HBOGO

Doubt it.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    notown wrote: »
    I agree. I've cut the cord and get the little bit of broadcast television I actually watch over a digital antenna. I would happily pay for HBO and Showtime if I didn't have to get the rest of the bloated package. Till then, I'll be illegally downloading Dexter, True Blood, etc., etc.

They're on Netflix.
  • Reply 25 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdf View Post

They need to add NFL to their sports lineup.

And Formula One! I would gladly pay to watch F1 on my iPad or iMac.

Anyone know how to watch F1 online? :)

• Reply 26 of 148
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    blackbook wrote: »
    If only the HBO Go App didn't require a cable subscription...

Why doesn't HBO set up their own paid subscription service, for those of us who would like to cut cable TV?

Because their existing deals are more lucrative. It'll get there. Give it time.
  • Reply 27 of 148

pretty much all the complaints here can be put under "don't kill the messenger."

Apple TV et al is the delivery medium.  A franchise for these content _OWNERS_.  The owners say where and when and how much things are gonna cost, and what hoops you must jump through to get them.   The fact that HBO cannot separate it's licensing from cable providers (because if they did, then all heck would break loose...  much like Microsoft building and selling Surface directly), because those contracts are there (HBO will not bypass cable providers for first run content).

Apple in it's end, is trying to aggregate.  Eventually, with enough content, it can build a 'YourTV' network of intelligent choice and navigation that will allow you easily navigate your content choices... but first it has to develop demand.   Like iRadio took what... 5 years to come to Apple's mobile device (and what 10 years to iTunes?), because content owners had all sorts of crazy contracts in place with other broadcast medium, Apple TV will evolve as the market deems possible, and long term contracts expire and are replaced with more equitable ones, and Apple figures out how to monetize the service without making it crazy expensive to the consumer.   These are big rocks to push out of the way... all due to the content OWNERS.

Apple is actually doing exactly what the radio broadcast rights were intended to do... allow a listener to hear a set of music perceived to be of quality to them, and hope they they buy... adding a 'buy' buttion is something broadcast radio can't do.  so iRadio is even better than radio radio for 'advertising music'  Hence the 'cost to play' is offset by the 'advertising value' of the playlist, hence a lower cost to Apple.   (See Pandora buying a terrestrial radio station to get into the lower royalty rate for this vs royalties for entertainment.

This will all change... it will take time, but it will change.   And cable companies know that HBO, and ESPN especially, drive subscriptions up... and they don't want to be a 'dumb' pipe  (my last cable bill: 175/month for HD plus HBO plus sports plus 6mbps internet... my current bill $0 [OTA], with a 60/month 20mbps CTL service, and AppleTV, and Netflix, [and other P2P traffic that will go unnamed;-)]).   to lose $110/month is not what cable companies want, hence they continue to put poison pills into their premium content licenses with the content owners to drive them to 1-3 year exclusivity.  

My guess is ESPN will be the first to go, as all the major sports can drive direct to Internet now, and will do so, if Disney's activity with NetFlix is any indication.

This will take time....

• Reply 28 of 148

"Rumor" being the key word in that sentence. Isn't happening, Ain't gonna happen.

• Reply 29 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They're on Netflix.

The HBO shows at the very least aren't. HBO keeps them under control to entice subscribers. I'm not sure about Showtime though I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same

• Reply 30 of 148
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I don't know, we pay a LOT more for the Apple TV here in the UK (currently a 25% mark up!!!!!) so why would it be unreasonable to expect Apple to get off their butts & sign up other content deals worldwide for local Apple TV content?

Of course they could just release the App Store for the Apple TV & all of these very valid complaints would disappear over night.

It sucks to be from the UK but I'm used to it.

It may sound like we are missing out on all these free channels but to be honest, they are full of brainless American crap. I'd pay 25% more to keep it off my ATV.

However, no iTunes radio, that sucks.

• Reply 31 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm psyched about this update. Not for any specific feature, but that they're still adding said features AND for the the depth and breadth thereof. A dedicated anime pseudo-app? A dedicated concert music pseudo-app? This is fairly obscure stuff! And that's GREAT! Because that's what Apple TV will be for: MORE than just the "prescribed" television content. MORE than just what your stupid cable or satellite telecom "wants" to carry and wants (no quotes) to shove down your gullet.

Apple TV will let you personalize your viewing in ways never before possible. Because Apple TV has no limitations.

Apple TV takes the Long Tail and pimp-slaps cable and satellite providers. Or, rather, it [B]will[/B].

One day it won't be a hobby anymore. And on that day, they all die.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Sigh, still no Amazon Prime Videos :(

• Reply 33 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Sigh, still no Amazon Prime Videos :(

I have a theory as to why, but it's wholly unfounded.

"Amazon's a whore?"

There's a little more substance to it than that.
  • Reply 34 of 148
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Showtime is the only thing that keeps me at a high cable package.

And risking being called a troll but... I wish AppleTV had Amazon Prime access. I already pay for that so for the free shipping and it just seems silly to also pay for Netflix.
  • Reply 35 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have a theory as to why, but it's wholly unfounded.

"Amazon's a whore?"

There's a little more substance to it than that.

How about your shut your whore mouth image

It's the only reason why I dropped my ATV3 for a Roku3. The way I see it, I'm already paying $79 a year for Amazon Prime (mainly for the two-day shipping as our household easily places 100 orders or so through Amazon a year), so the "free" Amazon Prime Videos are an added bonus. In that sense -- for me -- Amazon Video streaming makes more sense than Netflix because I get a lot more out of the $$$ I put out every year.

• Reply 36 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Showtime is the only thing that keeps me at a high cable package.

And risking being called a troll but... I wish AppleTV had Amazon Prime access. I already pay for that so for the free shipping and it just seems silly to also pay for Netflix.

DAMNIT! Stop reading my mind!!! image

• Reply 37 of 148
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    blackbook wrote: »
    If only the HBO Go App didn't require a cable subscription...

Why doesn't HBO set up their own paid subscription service, for those of us who would like to cut cable TV?

Because they don't want you to " cut cable TV" .

Philip
  • Reply 38 of 148
    chrisdfchrisdf Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

And Formula One! I would gladly pay to watch F1 on my iPad or iMac.

Anyone know how to watch F1 online? :)

Yeah, an F1 channel would be cool. I don't know of any way to watch F1 online. I watch it on Speed. The closest thing is the ESPN F1 website, but that's only a live feed.
  • Reply 39 of 148
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member
    And still no 'Lovefilm' or BBC iPlayer.. Would also welcome keyboard / Apple TV function..
  • Reply 40 of 148
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    Add me to those wanting Amazon Prime Video. That said, when I want to watch it on my tv I just use the it from my Sony Blu-ray player. I live out in the boonies and my wideband internet can be iffy at times. Amazon Prime's adaptive resolution keeps the video streaming when other services become unacceptable.