Apple TV update adds HBO Go, WatchESPN & more channels

Comments

• Reply 101 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    andysol wrote: »
    I don't agree with you because you are completely wrong.

Guess you've never heard of Disney, huh.
    Wow! How convincing! :no:

Yep, just keep hanging onto that as though it means anything. Really doing good things for your point.
  • Reply 102 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Yep, just keep hanging onto that as though it means anything. Really doing good things for your point.

Poor little guy... You're on an island all by yourself. Keep telling Wilson that if Blu ray didn't exist, we'd have 20mbps everywhere in the US because of Hollywood's stuff they do.
  • Reply 103 of 148
    It seems that DirectTV is not one of the service providers that work with the Apple TV app.
  • Reply 104 of 148
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Exept that Game of Thrones IS available on itunes, I bought the 2 seasons in french in itunes. On the other hand, I am not sure the latest season in available while its playing on HBO.

Currently, I am watching in it english while its playing on HBO and I watch the french version to recap just before the next season begins.

The current season isn't available on iTunes, or anywhere other than HBO, so a lot more people hit the torrents than would otherwise do so. If it was available, even at a premium, many would probably pay more to have it right away.

I'd probably pay $50 for the current season but I don't want to pay $20/month thru uverse just to watch GOT
  • Reply 105 of 148
    Poor little guy... You're on an island all by yourself. Keep telling Wilson that if Blu ray didn't exist, we'd have 20mbps everywhere in the US because of Hollywood's stuff they do.

I didn't have anything to edit this time (genuine apologies about that previously, though). Guess that affirms you've never heard of Disney. :no:
  • Reply 106 of 148
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    No. Many of us have Amazon Prime. I have AppleTV and Roku. AppleTV is much higher quality; more consistent (but far from perfect UI), more responsive, better picture quality.

Netflix has far more content than Amazon Prime though.

Roku 3 is pretty responsive as far as the machine goes. The only delay I get is from the buffering to start the video which I believe is more to do with bandwidth. It also has 1080p so I'm not sure the ATV pic is any better.

Roku 3 also came with an angry bird app which I have yet to play but it seems everyone else has.

I'll upgrade my ATV at some point but I still use my original with hard drive to stores the kids shows
  • Reply 107 of 148
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

DSL is contingent on distance from the central office and runs on cables that are decades old.

Well aware and the central office is maybe a 1000 feet from my place.  No exageration

• Reply 108 of 148
    blackbook wrote: »
    If only the HBO Go App didn't require a cable subscription...

Why doesn't HBO set up their own paid subscription service, for those of us who would like to cut cable TV?
    1)Apple has

Slowly building out content & consolidating more overall TV control. Be nice if they added an iMac to the little black TV box.
    Well in that case the side box version a Mac mini with an HD camera (I don't want to pay extra $1300 for built in features unless it last 10 years)
  • Reply 109 of 148
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Add regular broadcast TV to that line-up and it looks nearly good enough to stand on its own. Good bye, cable!
  • Reply 110 of 148
    am8449 wrote: »
    Add regular broadcast TV to that line-up and it looks nearly good enough to stand on its own. Good bye, cable!

Seems odd and counterproductive that the ESPN thing requires you to already be paying someone for cable or satellite, though. Just shove ads in it and make it free to everyone, you morons!
  • Reply 111 of 148

American military stationed in  Japan and we only got the Qello app. Pathetic... 2 more years until I'm back in the USA

• Reply 112 of 148
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rednival wrote: »
    Well aware and the central office is maybe a 1000 feet from my place.  No exageration

If that's the case there shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't get 15 mbps.
  • Reply 113 of 148
    Seems odd and counterproductive that the ESPN thing requires you to already be paying someone for cable or satellite, though. Just shove ads in it and make it free to everyone, you morons!

The ads you don't want to watch nor pay attention to so how is that effective?
  • Reply 114 of 148
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    rednival wrote: »
    Not where I live.  I had DSL but I never got speeds much better than 800Kbps and I was paying for 10Mbps.  Needless to say, I canceled and switched to cable and finally get speeds I am paying for.  Most people around here have had similar situations.  People get Satellite Internet to get away from CenturyLink (our DSL provider).  I have no idea what's wrong with their service, but they never were able to get our speed up to where it was supposed to be.

That's unfortunate. My understanding is that with cable, after a certain point, you are essentially sharing a big pool of bandwidth with other cable subscribers. I just switched from "up to 6Mbps" cable to "4-6Mbps" DSL. The cable would slow way down on evenings/weekends whereas the DSL gives me 5.3Mbps 24/7.
  • Reply 115 of 148

Did you forget that even Wilson left him?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 116 of 148
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you forget that even Wilson left him?

LOL....you just can't BUY this kind of entertainment........ TS and his predictions and statements.....priceless!
  • Reply 117 of 148
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

HBO Go is a GREAT addition.  Last weekend I binge-watched the whole first season of "The Newsroom" preparing myself for the imminent S2 premiere.  But that meant that not only did I have to eventually plug my iPad in as the battery ran down, but I couldn't use my iPad for other stuff while watching.  Having HBO Go on the ATV is excellent.

Last night, immediately after updating, used it to watch the Series Premiere of "True Blood" then the Season Finale from last season, in preparation for finally watching the S6 Premiere.

Love it.

Could have used the ESPN update a bit earlier, though, like when the French Open was on.  Guess it will come in handy for Wimby, anyways.

Anyways, good stuff all around.  I originally bought the AppleTV on sort of a whim.  But I find myself using it a LOT these days.

• Reply 118 of 148

I have read that the HBO Go app should now be working for DirecTV subscribers.

• Reply 119 of 148
    sphickey wrote: »
    American military stationed in  Japan and we only got the Qello app. Pathetic... 2 more years until I'm back in the USA

Wait, you're in Japan and you didn't even get Crunchyroll?!
  • Reply 120 of 148
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

HBO is owned by Time Warner, so I think that is unlikely to happen for now...

This is a major factor that most internet only TV dreamers just wont get.  Pretty much all of the major networks and channels have ties to the Cable industry. So on top of technical problems related to distribution over the net of live feeds, the source material just wont allow it.

The only thing that could worked is if companies like Netflix succeed in making there own content and becomes the new "HBO" by providing material that's only available over the net. Youtube, netflix and Amazon are trying to break the channels cartels, its going to be an interesting battle.