Apple now charting App Store iOS fragmentation just like Google's Android

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahlman View Post

Apple released two versions, not four, of the MacBook in 2007, the MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007 or 2,1), released in May 2007, and the MacBook (13-inch Late 2007 or 3,1), released in November 2007, which both can run up to and including Mac OS X 10.7.5.

- - - 

Unless you purchased your "MacBook 2007 (fall edition)", which I assume is the MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), in September 2008, seven months after the MacBook (13-inch Early 2008) was released, something is not adding up. Maybe you purchased the MacBook (13-inch Early 2008) just before the MacBook (13 inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) was released. This would make more sense.

Thanks Fahlman, for the help. The purchase was October 2007:

I think I used http://www.apple-history.com/mb_late_07 to check this out, many moons ago, and I remember 'seeing' four editions for the year- However:

Why I make such memory blunders will be my first question at the pearly/furnace gates. Obstinance keeps me trying to be a perfectionist.) But the lame duck that is my memory keeps me humble, and I am heralded for my patience- two good attributes of character, so I am told, but I really have no choice. 

My MB is buggered, Nov 2012, so I bought a Mac mini. The back of my MB says 2007 and on Apple-history I see that the largest hd at the time was 160 GB and that is what I got, the 2.20 GHz/1 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SuperDrive/Black 

My MB was a nightmare. Three hds went kaput until I asked at the Apple Store the reason. I thought the MB parked the hd when put to sleep but was told that was not so. I upgraded to a 360 GB drive and methodically shut down before transport thereafter-prob solved-my fault.

The superdrive never worked, even when replaced: CDs were difficult to get out. I had constant other probs (most of which I have dismiss from memory- holding onto anger is not healthy) and visits to repair (three yr warranty) never resolved them. I lived in the far north so only on holidays could I get it in to be fixed. - sudden shut downs were frequent, apps that suddenly wouldn't work properly, lost cursor, freezing, - I have dismissed most all the horrors. I ran a Mac lab three years just prior the iMac (80+ Macs in the school: from Classic to last All-in-One "molar" ) and have serviced Apples 'forever'; only the 6400s ever gave me problems- built by escaped criminals was my explanation. I do know my way around a Mac. I'm just glad the pain of that Black Beast is over.

However, I do like to get the facts correct and appreciate your time and assistance.

Namaste & care, Fahlman,

mhikl

• Reply 62 of 101
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I think KDarling is asserting that it's more meaningful to think of fragmentation in terms of functionality instead of version number. 

Yes, exactly.  For the user, functionality is far more important, and on iOS that often depends more on the device model year, than on the OS version or the actual capabilities of the hardware.

For the developer, API support is important... and on Android, that's not always dependent on the version number, since Google distributes back compatible libraries for many new features.  

Articles should not conflate these two needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

First off: if your point is thoughtful and interesting, you don't need big type or all caps to get attention.

Ironic, since I was using the same typeface that you used for the same point in your article. 

As for the immature troll comments (which would not even be allowed on other, more adult populated, forums), let everyone be clear that it is you and AppleInsider who constantly create threads about Android, to get more readers.

It is the height of irony and disingenuity to claim that anyone who replies to such intentional instigation is a troll.  In fact, it is all the replies and other traffic that are the whole point of doing these articles in the first place!   If everyone ignored you, you'd be out of a job pronto.

--

Now what would be great is if, instead of always dragging in comparisons to the competition, you'd actually use your investigative abilities to give us more info on the Apple topic itself.

For example, the topic here was Apple's new graphic.   So why did I, the reader, have to go research how many Apple products do not fit into that graphic?   Why did I, the reader, have to research how many Apple products cannot be upgraded?

Those seem like bits of information that would interest Apple users, instead of making us read about Android all the time.

Is it because it's too difficult?   Is it because that would not bring in the clicks?   Are you paid by the word or by the view?   We're not the shills here.  You're being paid to get readers, not us.

• Reply 63 of 101
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I may a bit confused but wasn't this a comparison that Tim Cook had made at the WWDC 2013 Keynote? It may not be the actual pie charts, but he did say something about how more than 90% were on the latest iOS, but only a third were on the latest Android.

Yes it was a slide in the keynote, and presented in direct contrast to Android's numbers. Apple has since added the pie chart to its dev website, using the same appearance and date style as Google's for Android. One would have to be pretty willingly obtuse to think that Apple doesn't expect people to draw a comparison.

• Reply 64 of 101
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the killer point here, which most are still missing, is that many Android phones are still be sold with the hopelessly crippled old OS versions that will never be updated. that is shameful, right?

except of course, many buy those "free" phones with no intention of using any advanced OS features anyway. it's just another cellphone to them with some basic smart stuff. texting, Facebook, and celebrity gossip web sites mainly. so their built-in obsolescence doesn't matter. and you know ... that's ok.

the delicious irony instead is the droid fanboys won't ever admit their big user stats are comprised of mostly tabloid readers. and people wonder why their app revenues are so low?

I don't really see any irony in it, but your post is pretty spot on. Gingerbread is still selling like hotcakes and will probably continue to do so for quite some time.  It really doesn't require much in terms of resources and allows manufacturers to build super cheap phones capable of web browsing.  If Apples new cheap phone is going to support iOS7 there really isnt going to be a way for it to compete on price.  

As a developer if you want to target Gingerbread users your choice is obvious.  The data shows there are indeed still a lot of Gingerbread users.  

On the flip side it also shows the majority of users are on ICS or higher.  If you account the data covers about 900m android devices and 600m iPhones its just about even.  Target ICS and you will reach about the same number of users as targetting iOS7.

As a relatively price insensitive Android user I actually prefer Androids more honest version of leaving fragmentation on the developer side.  I bought my phone about a year ago with ICS ditching my iPhone 3gs.  My iPhone was ´unfragmented´ running the latest OS version, it just couldn't actually use any of the features.  I would have been more annoyed if my ICS device had been immediately upgraded to Jelly Bean in name only without being able to use the features in Jelly bean-such as Now.  Instead my phone was left 'behind' for a few months- but once upgraded to Jelly Bean, I can actually use all the main features of Jelly Bean.  Amazing concept.

• Reply 65 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Another 25.6 percent are still on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, which was released the same month as iOS 5. Only 33 percent are running the latest major version, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which was announced last summer alongside Apple's debut of iOS 6.

<h2>Two thirds of Android users can't use Google Now</h2>

Then potentially 300 million Android device owners can use Google Now using the figures you quoted in the article. How many iOS users can take advantage of Siri? Do you know? Neither of them serves a small number of users but perhaps there's more people using Google Now on Android than Siri on iOS? They both would appear to be pretty successful to me.
  • Reply 66 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I don't really see any irony in it, but your post is pretty spot on. Gingerbread is still selling like hotcakes and will probably continue to do so for quite some time.  It really doesn't require much in terms of resources and allows manufacturers to build super cheap phones capable of web browsing.  If Apples new cheap phone is going to support iOS7 there really isnt going to be a way for it to compete on price.  

As a developer if you want to target them your choice is obvious.  The data shows there are indeed still a lot of Gingerbread users.  

On the flip side it also shows the majority of users are on ICS or higher.  If you account the data covers about 900m android devices and 600m iPhones its just about even.  Target ICS and you will reach about the same number of users as targetting iOS7.

a relatively price insensitive Android user I actually prefer Androids more honest version of leaving fragmentation on the developer side.  I bought my phone about a year ago with ICS ditching my iPhone 3gs.  My iPhone was ´unfragmented´ running the latest OS version, it just couldn't actually yse any of the features.  I would have been more annoyed if my ICS device had been immediately upgraded to Jelly Bean in name only without being able to use the features in Jelly bean-such as Now.  Instead my phone was left 'behind' for a few months- but once upgraded to Jelly Bean, I can actually use all the main features of Jelly Bean.  Amazing concept.

Google Play data is not 900 M Android devices. You're counting every Android device ever built, because equating "white box" junk to a Nexus/S4 is the only way Android can appear to be a viable platform.

We also know what happens when deveopers target even the lowest common denominator of Android: they can't make any real money on apps because a) nobody pays for them b) the majority pirate their apps. Even if you could produce a great Android app (and test it against scores of hardware variants), as soon as it began getting attention there'd be dozens of rippoffs, and Google Play does next to nothing to stop this counterfeit tailgating. 

As for being pleased to run an outdated, insecure, old version of a platform because it "protects" you from not gettting features you can't run, what horseshit! I doubt any iPhone 4 users are even aware that it can't do 3D maps or take panos. And unavailable features they've heard about like Siri are perhaps disappointing, but there's no "benefit" to running an older version of the platform that not only can't do Siri, but can't do a lot of other things either. 

Your logic is so insane it reminds me of the delusional alcoholics I've dated. Such a flurry of upside-down excuses to condone and excuse your addiction. 

• Reply 67 of 101
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, that's hardly "just like Google's Android" as the headline says. There's a world of difference between the levels of fragmentation.

I think the ´ just like Android' part references Apple counting via the App Store method- the same method Google.switched to and which some Apple users tried to flag as misleading.  Granted in Apples case it will be somewhat more accurate since Apple doesn't give users permission to shop anywhere other than the Apple store.

droid looks like it would have about 94 percent Jelly Bean adoptation if it simply released an update changing the names of Gingerbread and ICS to Jelly Bean.  Of course users would then have no idea what features their phones could and couldnt use, but on a chart they would indeed appear unfragmented.

• Reply 68 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then potentially 300 million Android device owners can use Google Now using the figures you quoted in the article. How many iOS users can take advantage of Siri? Do you know? Neither of them serves a small number of users but perhaps there's more people using Google Now on Android than Siri on iOS? They both would appear to be pretty successful to me.

No, the article doesn't say there are 900 million Android devices actively hitting Google Play. You're pulling in crazy talk to try to equate a hobbyist platform that is failing with iOS.

Ask yourself: why did the Google One fail? And then every other Google-branded phone up to the Nexus 7. Fall short of optimistic expectations. Why is that happening, when Android is such a global success?

It's because Google is not an Apple, and its products are not like iPhones. Android a reincarnation of Linux/Java, and has many of the same problems (and huge market share) that "platform" had. It's shipping on millions of junk phones.

Samsung is the closest thing to Apple. Last year, it sold almost 385 million phones, but over 53% were not even smartphones. That's 180 million, some of which were not Android. But a large number of those were junk phones running really old software that can't even run typical apps, let alone something like Google Now.

Do the math and you realize that a) the Android phones comparable with the iPhone 4/4S/5 are a small minority, and most of even those are running a version well behind the latest version. That's why developers aren't taking advantage of the "new" Jelly Bean features from last year. 

Every argument you make goes back to conflating market share of crap with the small minority of high end Android phones. It's essential to your religion. But it's incorrect, and once you grasp rational facts, you'll have to agree that Android is a hobbyist platform, and the reason there's no good apps is because Jelly Bean 4.2 its nearly as small of a target for developers as WP8 and BB10. It probably has even fewer exclusive titles.  

• Reply 69 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No, the article doesn't say there are 900 million Android devices actively hitting Google Play. You're pulling in crazy talk to try to equate a hobbyist platform that is failing with iOS.

Do the math and you realize that a) the Android phones comparable with the iPhone 4/4S/5 are a small minority, and most of even those are running a version well behind the latest version. That's why developers aren't taking advantage of the "new" Jelly Bean features from last year. 

How many Android smartphones are actively hitting Google Play? How many Apple smartphones are actively hitting the App Store with iOS6 and capable of running Siri (Heck, how many iPhones are actively hitting the App Store period, regardless of OS version)? I suspect you don't know a solid answer to either of those questions so it's perfectly conceivable that there are more Android devices making use of Google Now than iOS devices making use of Siri isn't it? Do the math.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Let's see what the iOS chart looks like after iOS 7 is released. Lots of people are disappointed with iOS 7 look & feel. I am not planning to upgrade any of my devices to iOS 7.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    atul patel wrote: »
    Let's see what the iOS chart looks like after iOS 7 is released.

Exactly the same, but with each of the numbers incremented by one.
    Lots of people

Sure they are.
    iOS 7 look & feel

Because DP1 is obviously a shipping product¡
    I am not planning to upgrade any of my devices to iOS 7.

Enjoy missing out for no reason other than fogeyness.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think it's the carriers as much as the manufacturers (if not more so) who are blocking updates.

Wrong.

In almost all cases, it is the Device Manufacturers who are the ones who do not want to spend money, effort, resources to update the OS for their devices. Remember, Android base is free but it still needs to be modified to make it work on different handsets. One analogy is Windows which, while have the basics but still needs the Hardware Drivers to work on specific PCs. Currently Windows have almost all the drivers but still we all experienced the 640x800 resoltion because the driver needs to be downloaded and installed.

Android is free and hence you cant expect it to support every hardware. Device manufacturers needs to develope the required versions. Unfortunately, they have little incentive to do it. May be the big vendors, but the smaller ones where profit is razor thin, why should they bother?

The carriers have neither the expertize nor the motivation to spend on developing the updates. Frankly, it should be done by the device vendors and not everybody is doing it.a

• Reply 73 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you have any idea what you're talking about, feel free to expound.

yes i clearly don't know what i'm talking about. it's not like i've made a post here every 58 minutes for nearly 3 years. i think that explains why iphone users consume more data than android users.

• Reply 74 of 101
    yes i clearly don't know what i'm talking about.

Thanks for proving that by refusing to expound on any of the points you didn't make! Feel free to actually post with substance whenever you get some.
  • Reply 75 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for proving that by refusing to expound on any of the points you didn't make! Feel free to actually post with substance whenever you get some.

i certainly don't have as many insights you given your 25,573+ posts in 34 months.  with that amount of free time, i could bootstrap a company and sell it. oh wait, i already did.

• Reply 76 of 101
    [post]

And yet I'm just sitting here and laughing, because all you can do is not back up your (lack of a) point. :lol:

EDIT: post edited to save Marvin the effort when he deletes yours.
  • Reply 77 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yet I'm just sitting here and laughing, because all you can do is not back up your (lack of a) point. image

that's the problem - you're always there sitting. i guess you have 6 more hours to spend here today to reach your average. LOL.

• Reply 78 of 101
    Steve Jobs killed the iPhone like the cancer killed him.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.

Directly from Google Play: 

Quote:

Google Now is only available on Android Jelly Bean 4.1 or higher

Here's the kicker, and it's as hilarious as hell. Google Now on iOS needs iOS 5 or later. This means more iOS devices have access to Google Now than Google's own Android operating system.

How's that fragmentation working out for you?

• Reply 80 of 101
    technarchy wrote: »
    How's that fragmentation working out for you?

He DID say 'equivalent'. Not that I'm saying the equivalents are any good (nor am I saying the original is any good). But he'll worm his way out that way.