Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 312
    paskpask Posts: 1member
    I just joined your forum simply to tell you what a brilliant insightful article you have written. Well done. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
  • Reply 22 of 312
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    povilas wrote: »
    I take it you are using it not on 4/4S, because on these iPhones it's almost unusable. Battery drains in half a day, crashes, blackouts and what not.
    The beta runs fine on iPhone 4/4S. Set it up as a new phone and do not restore any backup and you will have no battery issues. Most of he animations and transparencies are missing on the 4 but no surprise there to be honest.
  • Reply 23 of 312
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

A long article that says very little.

• Reply 24 of 312
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member

I'm a pretty big Apple fan, but reading this was pretty embarrassing.  The concensus is, Apple was just keeping up with everyone else with iOS7.

• Reply 25 of 312
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The concensus is, Apple was just keeping up with everyone else with iOS7.

Whose? Where?
  • Reply 26 of 312
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

One major point of this article is that because Google makes no money on Android, we shouldn't expect much innovation out of them. However, in comparison to the other companies mentioned, Google has enough revenue from other sources that they could continue to lose money on Android forever while still innovating.

Of course, how long they'll keep doing this is another question. We have recently gotten quite used to Google pulling the plug on projects which don't make them [m]any profits (oh, Google Powermeter how I loved thee!).

• Reply 27 of 312
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member

Quote:

Whose? Where?

Pretty much every article I read.  What feature other than Airdrop is Apple bringing to the table here?  How are they leading with iOS7 exactly?

• Reply 28 of 312
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I have to admit, after using iOS 7 since the beta dropped, and after rolling back to iOS 6 for only a day, I can't bring myself to go back to iOS 6. 7 just seems like such a cleaner, more polished experience. There are a few UI niggles here and there, but I'm enjoying the experience thoroughly.

I never thought I'd be writing this, given how livid I was the first few days of use. But there you have it.
    You can't say this. Didn't you know iOS 7 sucks? I mean apparently everyone in design circles says so.
  • Reply 29 of 312

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You can't say this. Didn't you know iOS 7 sucks? I mean apparently everyone in design circles says so.

Correct for designers : http://designerscomplaining.tumblr.com

True for developers as well : http://ios7redesign.tumblr.com/tagged/ios-developers

• Reply 30 of 312
    dperetti wrote: »

Wow, like clockwork! :lol:

This is a wonderful box and it sums up every complaint about iOS 7. Except
  • Reply 31 of 312
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The beta runs fine on iPhone 4/4S. Set it up as a new phone and do not restore any backup and you will have no battery issues. Most of he animations and transparencies are missing on the 4 but no surprise there to be honest.

No difference. Since it's the same hardware everywhere i think "runs fine" by your standards is f'ed up by mine.

• Reply 32 of 312
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

"WinTel PC efficiently generated billions of dollars in revenue that was funneled right back into development at Intel and Microsoft. Between 1995 and 2005, WinTel did little more than plug up the pipes of technology, holding everyone back while collecting incredible revenues but delivering only the most minor dribble of updates."

You see similarities between this and Apple with iOS?

• Reply 33 of 312
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Whose? Where?
    What I think he meant was that iOS 7 added some Android/Win 8 features (even if somewhat few) that some iOS users thought would be nice if iOS had them. Many don't know how things existed before in one way or another. How many believe that Apple made the first MP3 player, the first smartphone and the first tablet?
  • Reply 34 of 312
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I'm a pretty big Apple fan, but reading this was pretty embarrassing.  The concensus is, Apple was just keeping up with everyone else with iOS7.

Agree
  • Reply 35 of 312
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

No difference. Since it's the same hardware everywhere i think "runs fine" by your standards is f'ed up by mine.

Relax. This is a beta. It is not meant to be used by anyone other than developers and only on testing devices. All beta releases in the past were like this and sometimes worst.

• Reply 36 of 312
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I can appreciate the changes Apple made to the features of iOS 7. But you're either blind or brainwashed not to see that these are "catch up" features. You aren't leading by implementing catch up features.

Airdrop is the only feature worth mentioning. Aside from that, iOS 7 is adding what other os's are already doing. Well that and horribly design icons. And Siri doesn't even appear to be getting smarter. I'm afraid Google Now has won the personal assistant war.

Love my iPad and iMac. But I think this fall I will be looking at a Nexus for my phone for my needs.
  • Reply 37 of 312
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    One major point of this article is that because Google makes no money on Android, we shouldn't expect much innovation out of them. However, in comparison to the other companies mentioned, Google has enough revenue from other sources that they could continue to lose money on Android forever while still innovating.

Of course, how long they'll keep doing this is another question. We have recently gotten quite used to Google pulling the plug on projects which don't make them [m]any profits (oh, Google Powermeter how I loved thee!).

I did hear a rumor that Google would abandon Android and use a Chrome mobile OS, which one could argue is why they bought Motorola Mobility.
  • Reply 38 of 312
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Two thoughts:

1. I think you really hit the nail on the head with the importance of motion in iOS 7. I have reservations about some aspects of the design, but where it really shines is the way the animation conveys the logic of the way different screens are related to one another. I think that's really what Jony Ive was going for and everything else (including the flatter design) is in service of that. Contrast with WP7, where they've tried to copy print design and the transition animations are strange and jarring and entirely unconnected to anything that's happening (it's like they decided there wasn't enough motion and threw in some random transition effects to spice things up). I really like this aspect of the iOS 7 design approach.

2. I still can't believe how bad Android looks when I see comparison shots. I mean, Android 4.x is a huge improvement over 2.x, but it's still a huge mess.

• Reply 39 of 312
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I did hear a rumor that Google would abandon Android and use a Chrome mobile OS, which one could argue is why they bought Motorola Mobility.

Words can't describe just how fine I would be with that.

Watch their stock halve overnight.
  • Reply 40 of 312
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Words can't describe just how fine I would be with that.

Watch their stock halve overnight.
    And 80% the next day for there chromey software.

Very good read, always enjoy the appleinsider apple sum ups.