Android accounts for 92% of mobile malware, malicious apps increase 614%

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Sounds like Windows all over again

one of the problems with an OS that's too open.

• Reply 62 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Or... simply not buying into the Android ecosystem in the first place.

This is the primary reason I won't even look at the Android devices. That and three year contracts will still be in place here until December. In a two year window, I could reasonably expect a device to updated to the latest version, but three, fat chance. There are Android devices that are sold new and updates are discontinued immediately.

My sister has gone through at least 3 mobile phones over the same amount of time I've opted not to purchase a smart phone, her new device is a Samsung Galaxy III (yes new in 2013.) I bought last bought a phone when the iPhone was new, but the device I bought beat all of the original iPhone's specifications (one of which was UMTS support.) I'll buy an iPhone when VoLTE is available on it, and not before. Prior to this I hung onto an EDGE device since it's introduction.

Now the funny thing is, since mobile devices are billed by the byte or minute, malware on these devices are of an extremely high concern and expense to their users. There is almost no reason not to update the software, and if the hardware/carrier's are refusing to do this, maybe the government might have to force them to. eg The hardware vendor must maintain updates to all hardware sold new for 7 years and the carrier is required to push these updates within 30 days. This might force the hardware vendors to better engineer their devices or better yet, standardize on one or two hardware/software profiles that they can better support instead of making one variant of each device for every carrier in the world. If Microsoft can support an operating system for 6 years (plus an additional 5 for extended support) so can the Android vendors.

It's the device mfg.  Here's what happens.

samsung spits out a bunch of different model phones running Android OS 2.x.x, 4.0.x, 4.1.x and 4.2.x.  All using different processors, etc.   When Google releases an updated release, Samsung will decide to update which ever models they see fit.  If they decide not to update it, then whatever software runs on it is is it.  A lot of Samsung models won't get a software update and some will.  What Samsung does is add some other features like Touch Whiz, or some other phone specific feature.  Once Samsung does their little modifications, then they have to get the cell carrier's approval.  This process can take 4 to 6 months, and by the time they do this, there might be at least one or so more minor updates.

The Nexus models don't go through this mess.  The Nexus models are similar to the way Apple does their releases, the major problem is that there aren't many devices to choose from and they seem to only get updated so long.  The other problems is that they might not be as fully featured as what Samsung or HTC put out on the market.

Here's how they work.

HTC Nexus One  Discontinued

Android 2.1 Eclair upgradeable to 2.3.6 Gingerbread

Samsung Nexus S  Discontinued

Android 2.3 Gingerbread upgradeable to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Discontinued

4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgradeable to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

LG Nexus 4

4.2 Jelly Bean upgradeable to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

So, the early two model Nexus phones can't be upgraded to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, whereas the more recent models, you can.

• Reply 63 of 81
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

one of the problems with an OS that's too open.

How can an OS be to open, that's like saying cocaine is to white.

• Reply 64 of 81

Quote:

HTC Nexus One  Discontinued

Android 2.1 Eclair upgradeable to 2.3.6 Gingerbread

Samsung Nexus S  Discontinued

Android 2.3 Gingerbread upgradeable to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Discontinued

4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgradeable to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

LG Nexus 4

4.2 Jelly Bean upgradeable to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

So, the early two model Nexus phones can't be upgraded to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, whereas the more recent models, you can.

Every phone you listed has a 4.2.2 ROM over at XDA. Even the original HTC G1 has a 4.2.2 ROM available. It's easy to do and your phone can live one for at least 5 years.

• Reply 65 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Every phone you listed has a 4.2.2 ROM over at XDA. Even the original HTC G1 has a 4.2.2 ROM available. It's easy to do and your phone can live one for at least 5 years.

Do you honestly think that most users are going to do this?  NO.  Only maybe the phone geeks might do this, but most of them will just buy a new phone.

Are they approved and supported by the mfg of the device and carrier?

• Reply 66 of 81

Quote:

How can an OS be to open, that's like saying cocaine is to white.

An OS can be open enough to install in a variety of hardware from a technical, legal, and "supported" standpoint, and there is open from a being modifiable.  With iOS there are certain types of malware that just can't be written. Then you have the availability of malware.  In Apple's case, they do whatever they are doing to prevent malware apps from being made available on their App Store, which discourages malware apps, there are also certain types of malware that just simply can't be written due to how Apple developed their OS.  At least, this is what one of the security firms had mentioned in a report I read about 4 months ago.

• Reply 67 of 81

Quote:

Do these ROM upgrades add all of the same features?  Example.  Let's say you bought a S3 and you can only get 4.1.1, and you put this 4.2.2 ROM upgrade, will it have all of the features that Samsung put in the S3 or are these ROMs more like a Nexus 4.2.2?  And are they supported by the device mfg and carrier?

• Reply 68 of 81

Quote:

Do you honestly think that most users are going to do this?  NO.  Only maybe the phone geeks might do this, but most of them will just buy a new phone.

Are they approved and supported by the mfg of the device and carrier?

If not they should, that is if they want to continue using their phone with the newest Android version. Carriers only support the phone for 2 years, as well as the manufacture. After that your on your own, so if you want to keep the phone longer, XDA is the way to go. It's very easy to do now, there are apps that install a custom recovery, after that it's as easy as downloading a new ROM and clicking install.

• Reply 69 of 81

Quote:

Do these ROM upgrades add all of the same features?  Example.  Let's say you bought a S3 and you can only get 4.1.1, and you put this 4.2.2 ROM upgrade, will it have all of the features that Samsung put in the S3 or are these ROMs more like a Nexus 4.2.2?  And are they supported by the device mfg and carrier?

You can have it anyway you want it. Samsung packages can be installed seperatly, which is a better solution then just installing them all. I'm sure there are a couple that you will never use and if you find that you did want one that you didn't install, then just go back and install it.

• Reply 70 of 81
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Of course it sounded neat to be able to run unsupported software on a device, but most of the time you've got unexpected result. Having a unsupported product from the mfg maintained by a community group is never good from a developer perspective.

• Reply 71 of 81

Quote:

You can have it anyway you want it. Samsung packages can be installed seperatly, which is a better solution then just installing them all. I'm sure there are a couple that you will never use and if you find that you did want one that you didn't install, then just go back and install it.

You know what that sounds like?   A pain in the ass.  Sorry, but all of this stuff you have to do just to "keep" your Android phone a little longer or to put the latest OS that the mfg won't release seems like a lot of extra work.   Yeah, I don't think most people are going to do that.   every time someone says they "rooted" their phone, it takes me about a half an hour to stop laughing.  I can't help it either, it's an automatic response.

• Reply 72 of 81
    So let me break this down.

In the first square, it states that Malware grew at a staggering rate. Well no shit. THe platform grew as well (and I mean mobile computing). THieves look for the best target or newest target so of course the amount of scum will grow.

next square. Really? we shouldnt click on links that we get from people we don't know? Hasnt this been going around for 20 years? If you are still dumb enough to do it, you deserve to lose 20$

next. yes, Android users are more susceptible to malware. First, there are more of them out there now. You always design your virus/phishing scam to cast the widest net. More chance for success. Also, Android is the easiest to get your teeth into from a virus writer point of view, mostly because of side loading.

next, wow, a billion devices? kinda surprises me.

Next, if you are dumb enough to go to anything other than the Google Play Store or Amazon, you are asking for it. Seriously. You get nothing for free. If you find another app on a different store for free you are going to either pay for it through ads (best case) or malware (worse case)

Your right sorta on this one. Older devices should get updated and from here on out I think they will. Hardware has sorta plateu'd so there are not any more of those huge jumps. Also, security patches should be put out for older versions if you are not going to update them to the latest full version. Even MS puts a few years worth of support in for older versions of windows.

OTH, the 4% figure is total BS. Jellybean is the latest version. Ice Cream Sandwich was the one before. Both are secure. JB had a 30 % install base in the report from june, ICS had a higher number but still in the 30's so for FFS lets say that they both have 30%, that gives you a 60% user base that is secure. A FAR FUCKING CRY from 4%. Even if you throw out ICS you are off by a shit ton of % points.

Lastly, the older OSs are dead as can be, they just havent fallen over yet. New apps are only being designed for ICS and up. People are coming to the end of the 2 year cycle and will be upgrading out of GB soon.

tl;dr version

What a bunch of FUD that article is
  • Reply 73 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="piizzadude" url="/t/158251/android-accounts-for-92-of-mobile-malware-malicious-apps-increase-614/40#post_2354930"]In the first square, it states that Malware grew at a staggering rate. Well no shit. THe platform grew as well (and I mean mobile computing). Thieves look for the best target or newest target so of course the amount of scum will grow.[/QUOTE]

Nah, that's not how it works.
  • Reply 74 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post

So let me break this down.

In the first square, it states that Malware grew at a staggering rate. Well no shit. THe platform grew as well (and I mean mobile computing). THieves look for the best target or newest target so of course the amount of scum will grow.

next square. Really? we shouldnt click on links that we get from people we don't know? Hasnt this been going around for 20 years? If you are still dumb enough to do it, you deserve to lose 20$

next. yes, Android users are more susceptible to malware. First, there are more of them out there now. You always design your virus/phishing scam to cast the widest net. More chance for success. Also, Android is the easiest to get your teeth into from a virus writer point of view, mostly because of side loading.

next, wow, a billion devices? kinda surprises me.

Next, if you are dumb enough to go to anything other than the Google Play Store or Amazon, you are asking for it. Seriously. You get nothing for free. If you find another app on a different store for free you are going to either pay for it through ads (best case) or malware (worse case)

Your right sorta on this one. Older devices should get updated and from here on out I think they will. Hardware has sorta plateu'd so there are not any more of those huge jumps. Also, security patches should be put out for older versions if you are not going to update them to the latest full version. Even MS puts a few years worth of support in for older versions of windows.

OTH, the 4% figure is total BS. Jellybean is the latest version. Ice Cream Sandwich was the one before. Both are secure. JB had a 30 % install base in the report from june, ICS had a higher number but still in the 30's so for FFS lets say that they both have 30%, that gives you a 60% user base that is secure. A FAR FUCKING CRY from 4%. Even if you throw out ICS you are off by a shit ton of % points.

Lastly, the older OSs are dead as can be, they just havent fallen over yet. New apps are only being designed for ICS and up. People are coming to the end of the 2 year cycle and will be upgrading out of GB soon.

tl;dr version

What a bunch of FUD that article is

There are two aspects of looking at malware.  The number of attacks and the different TYPES of malware.  Sure, if there is more devices to attack, when some malware gets released, it will affect more devices, but I think these reports are talking about the different TYPES of malware.  

According to F-secure labs, here are THEIR numbers.  Please don't shoot the messanger.

In Q1 2012  There were 47 Android based malware families and variants.

In Q2 2012  There were 46 Android based malware families and variants.  So not much change from those two quarters.

in Q3 2012  There were 49 Android based malware families and variants.  That's just a slight increase in the number of families and variants.

In Q4 2012  There were 96 Android based malware families and variants.  That' s about a doubling of the different TYPES of malware.

In Q1 2013  There were 136 Android based malware families and variants.  That' s another increase of about 40% increase over the previous year.

What you are discussing is how many units it is affecting.

Symbian is also seeing some malware as well, but they don't represent as many phones do they?  It's not based on how many devices, it's based on how easy it is to create malware and how easy they are being distributed.  Obviously, Apple iOS is created where certain types of malware is impossible to create.  That was mentioned in one of the F-Secure reports.  The other aspect is that Apple has their procedures to discourage and eliminate Malware based apps from their App Store, which is where most iPhone/iPad users get their apps from, so if Apple does a good job in preventing malicious apps from being distributed, then they just simply won't get posted and the malware developers are discouraged from creating them in the first place.  Obviously, Google and others don't do a very good job in eliminating malware apps from being posted, and they may not take them down that quickly and the same goes for other Android based app stores.  Who's fault is that?  The Android App stores hosting sites and Google for creating an OS that is too susceptible to having malware created.

BOTTOM LINE.   Android = more malware = BIG BAG OF HURT.

• Reply 75 of 81
    [I]"Obviously, Google and others don't do a very good job in eliminating malware apps from being posted, and they may not take them down that quickly and the same goes for other Android based app stores. Who's fault is that? The Android App stores hosting sites and Google for creating an OS that is too susceptible to having malware created."[/I]

I will not argue that there is a place between where Google is and where Apple is in the app screening process that Google needs to get to. It is too easy to slip a few malicious apps in there.

I will say though that they do a good job of getting them down right away. I think the last one (and there were only 3-4 times that I know of this happening) they were down within the hour.

THey never should have gotten there in the first place though.

You said "Android app stores" There are only two, Amazon and the Play Store. If you get your apps anywhere else you deserve what you get. As I said before, if there is a paid app on those stores and you find it free on a different one, you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 76 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post

You said "Android app stores" There are only two, Amazon and the Play Store. If you get your apps anywhere else you deserve what you get. As I said before, if there is a paid app on those stores and you find it free on a different one, you get what you pay for.

Doesn't Samscum have their own App Store?  How about Getjar, Slide ME, F-Droid, Appoke, Appia, App Brain, Aproov, Android Pit, Handster, Mobango, Opera Mobile App Store, Insyde Market, AppsFire, Baidu App Store (China), Yandex (Russia) and I'm sure there are others.

• Reply 77 of 81
    Samsung apps are in the Playstore

All the others, NO.

Yes they are app stores for android. Should anyone think of buying from them, NO. IF you do, you deserve what you get.

And Apple has the same stuff: http://alternativeto.net/software/app-store/?platform=iphone
  • Reply 78 of 81
    That sucks. App stores and ad networks have to do more. It really shouldn't be that hard to filter and detect these stuff, especially since so much of it comes to us through the apps we download. Look at what appthority and airpush did last year . Should be what everyone is doing before malware starts to undo all the process Android has made in the last couple years http://blog.airpush.com/how-airpush-is-leading-the-fight-against-mobile-malware/
  • Reply 79 of 81
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

F-Droid is a safe place to download AdAway which is no longer available in the Play Store.  All the other decent apps on F-Droid are also available through the Play Store so overall it's not that great or necessary.

• Reply 80 of 81
    bmg1001bmg1001 Posts: 4member
    Only 4% of Android phones are on the latest update.

You do know android doesn't need updates to have the latest features, right?