Apple testing 'MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0' to reportedly solve 802.11ac woes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In a likely response to reports of 802.11ac Wi-Fi issues with its latest MacBook Air refresh, Apple late Friday began sending out invitations to select users, offering inclusion in the AppleSeed Program to test an upcoming Wi-Fi centric software update for the thin-and-light laptop.

WiFi Update

People who received the email told AppleInsider that Apple will provide selected customers with a pre-release version of the "MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0" to install and use on their new machines, asking that they give feedback on any bugs found during the testing process.

While not explicitly stated in the AppleSeed invite, it is thought that the update relates to recent Wi-Fi connectivity issues some customers have experienced with Apple's implementation of the fairly new 802.11ac wireless standard.

The recently-released 11- and 13-inch MacBook Airs are the first Macs to implement the fast wireless protocol which, when combined with the new AirPort Extreme or AirPort Time Capsule, can reach theoretical speeds of up to 1300Mbps.

Although the technology has promise, a growing number of owners have complained of throughput limitations related to 11ac, with some reports speculating the wireless stack in OS X is at least partially to blame.

A thread on Apple's Support Communities webpage appears to confirm the AppleSeed invitations, but offers little information on the software. Those who have already agreed to Apple's terms said the company has yet to activate the invitation codes or send out the software.

In December 2012, Apple released a similar Wi-Fi compatibility update for Mac two months following the debut of the MacBook Pro with Retina display. At the time, owners of the then-new machine complained of problems recognizing 802.11n networks in the 5GHz band.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Well, it can be a good and logical thing to do, but it can also be a PR nightmare, unless they actually try to select people with some experience
  • Reply 2 of 39
    qianhuaqianhua Posts: 1member

i have same issue for new air wifi problem. Can i get the MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0 to test my issue?

• Reply 3 of 39
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

If you could let me reset the password for the coffee shop every few days when they change it, without going deep into Network Preferences into interface hell, then yeah.  That'd be great.

Just one of the ways OS X's wifi treatment is generally the world's hardest to use & least reliable.

iOS, meanwhile, is among the best.

• Reply 4 of 39
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    Are they not supposed to do this BEFORE they realise the new device?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member

Glad Apple is on it. I didn't have any doubts that Apple would fix it. I have that Wi-Fi problem as well, love my new 13" Haswell MB Air though. Go Apple! 

• Reply 6 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ... I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ... I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!

or...could be just smarts gained while aging?

• Reply 8 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by qianhua View Post

i have same issue for new air wifi problem. Can i get the MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0 to test my issue?

No, you cannot. No.

• Reply 9 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

It's an issue with network file transfers over 802.11ac, not the technology itself, and an apparent software issue. And it's also apparently a bug so uncommon that it went unnoticed during testing. Or maybe it was put on the "fix it later" list. Some people, apparently with "ac" networks and routers, have noticed that certain file transfers don't achieve 802.11ac speeds but are more in the 802.11n range. And the fact is that most people do not have "ac" ready routers, and most do not have "ac" ready devices either.

So I fail to see how this can be considered some show stopping issue that makes purchasing the new MBA scary or risky. I also fail to see why people are so ready to raise concerns about this to "WiFi-gate" level hand wringing. It's a minor bug that is getting fixed. So what!

• Reply 10 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stniuk wrote: »
    Are they not supposed to do this BEFORE they realise the new device?

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.

Since all apple software obviously works perfectly 100% of the time, it has to be the result of the idiot end user. 

• Reply 12 of 39
    conrail wrote: »
    Since all apple software obviously works perfectly 100% of the time, it has to be the result of the idiot end user. 

Yep! I sure did say that, after all!

:no:
  • Reply 13 of 39
    geekdad wrote: »
    or...could be just smarts gained while aging?

I should have pointed out that all of those products I mentioned were just great, no problems at all. I was kidding, there is no way I'll wait :)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    lkrupp wrote: »
    It's an issue with network file transfers over 802.11ac, not the technology itself, and an apparent software issue. And it's also apparently a bug so uncommon that it went unnoticed during testing. Or maybe it was put on the "fix it later" list. Some people, apparently with "ac" networks and routers, have noticed that certain file transfers don't achieve 802.11ac speeds but are more in the 802.11n range. And the fact is that most people do not have "ac" ready routers, and most do not have "ac" ready devices either.

So I fail to see how this can be considered some show stopping issue that makes purchasing the new MBA scary or risky. I also fail to see why people are so ready to raise concerns about this to "WiFi-gate" level hand wringing. It's a minor bug that is getting fixed. So what!

Seem my last post, I forgot the smiley face... I was mocking myself as I always dive in. I am waiting credit card in hand for a Mac Pro! :)
  • Reply 15 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So it's *not* a hardware problem?

Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. They've done so for [B]years[/B]. They are not problem-free, however, but compared the competition, they're head and shoulders above, especially when it comes to addressing a problem face-to-face on the ground with customers.

But folks like to yell louder and harder when it comes to Apple, precisely due Apple's high standards. And when even a small minority of expectations are not met, all hell breaks loose.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

I should have pointed out that all of those products I mentioned were just great, no problems at all. I was kidding, there is no way I'll wait image

LOL...i've read enough of your posts to have known that about you :-) When you get that shiny new Mac Pro please post back and lets all know what your impressions are! 

• Reply 17 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ...
    You don't have to wait a whole year, just wait until the teething pains relax a bit. When the Mac Pro arrives there will be teething pains, this I have no doubt about. However generally they are resolved rather quickly.
    I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!

Not Oder but wiser. It is far easier to let somebody else find and report the bugs and defects.

By the way that is a lotta Macs there. I've owned exactly two Apple computers over my lifetime. The first being a Mac Plus all those years ago and the second being an early 2008 MBP. That Mac Plus has a special place in my heart but frankly the MBP is a less inspired machine. My big problem with apple for years had been the high prices for relatively low performance. Thankfully that has all changed for the better, Apple laptops are hard to beat now. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to say that about Apples desktops.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Actually there appears to be more than one issue here but they all appear to be software related
    Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. They've done so for years. They are not problem-free, however, but compared the competition, they're head and shoulders above, especially when it comes to addressing a problem face-to-face on the ground with customers.
    The problem with today's customers is that this problem is artificial with many of them. It is a result of searching the net to find something to fret about. Very few people have access to a network architecture to even verify the problem.
    But folks like to yell louder and harder when it comes to Apple, precisely due Apple's high standards. And when even a small minority of expectations are not met, all hell breaks loose.

It is ignorance at play. Anybody expecting brand new WiFi technology to be perfect upon release just doesn't have a clue.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. .....

I believe 802.11ac is not even officially yet approved as a standard. Implementing it right now is a bold move on Apple side !!!!....

• Reply 20 of 39
    umrk_lab wrote: »
    I believe 802.11ac is not even officially yet approved as a standard. Implementing it right now is a bold move on Apple side !!!!....

Nonsense. Everyone does this with every version of Wi-Fi.