Apple testing 'MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0' to reportedly solve 802.11ac woes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,854member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

If you could let me reset the password for the coffee shop every few days when they change it, without going deep into Network Preferences into interface hell, then yeah.  That'd be great. ...

Sounds like you need to find a new coffee shop, one that doesn't treat its customers like service thieves.

• Reply 22 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    stniuk wrote: »
    Are they not supposed to do this BEFORE they realise the new device?

It's impossible to that every possible setup given the number of factors. Despite the FUD hit whoring headlines the cut of folks with issues is likely very low, as it is with most of this 'horrible issues' that turn up rig after an Apple release. And Apple is very responsive when its hardware. They will swap whole units those first few weeks even when the issue is more likely the cx third party wifi router for five years ago with out of date firmware etc just to be certain it couldn't be their new whatever. Few companies are like that.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    No, you cannot. No.

Do you run Apple, no you don't. So you can't really say that he can't. If he calls Apple Care for help with his wifi issue they might very well arrange for him to get the software even before it is an official release.
  • Reply 24 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

Are they not supposed to do this BEFORE they realise the new device?

Yes, of course.

• Reply 25 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I believe 802.11ac is not even officially yet approved as a standard. Implementing it right now is a bold move on Apple side !!!!....

Apple was an early adopter of 802.11n, before the standard was ratified. But, Apple wasn't the first to ship 802.11n, and they aren't the first with 802.11ac, either. The networking chips to support ac have been around since the end of 2011.

• Reply 26 of 39
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ... I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!

One thing for sure, no matter what Apple releases, there will always be a better product but you'll always have to wait.  Word of advice,buy what you need to buy within the first 3 months of a product announcement if at all possible and keep all of the packaging, buy AppleCare and if you decide to sell it to a private individual before AppleCare runs out, you'll recoup  the decent amount of resale value to go towards the new model.  That way you'll always have the latest and greatest and all you do is pay the difference between what it's worth on the used market.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.  Remember, no matter what you buy from every mfg., it's all the finished prototype for the next revision.

In terms of new products and problems?  They typically require only a simple software update and Apple's has a great track record with bug fixes as compared to the alternatives.  Hardware problems are usually fixed as long as you are under warranty, which is why buying AppleCare is a good idea.  It gives you peace of mind during the most critical years of operation.

• Reply 27 of 39
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,832member
    Nonsense. Everyone does this with every version of Wi-Fi.
    Nonsense. Everyone does this with every version of Wi-Fi.
    It is still very early and likely buggy (hince this update) that its not perfect on a new computer providing something 10 times faster than a extremely fast wifi and 100 times faster than our own house wifi.

This is also to prep the Mac Pro release.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    drblank wrote: »
    One thing for sure, no matter what Apple releases, there will always be a better product but you'll always have to wait.  Word of advice,buy what you need to buy within the first 3 months of a product announcement if at all possible and keep all of the packaging, buy AppleCare and if you decide to sell it to a private individual before AppleCare runs out, you'll recoup  the decent amount of resale value to go towards the new model.  That way you'll always have the latest and greatest and all you do is pay the difference between what it's worth on the used market.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.  Remember, no matter what you buy from every mfg., it's all the finished prototype for the next revision.

In terms of new products and problems?  They typically require only a simple software update and Apple's has a great track record with bug fixes as compared to the alternatives.  Hardware problems are usually fixed as long as you are under warranty, which is why buying AppleCare is a good idea.  It gives you peace of mind during the most critical years of operation.

Yep thanks ... I was being semi sarcastic and mocking myself as i always dive in ... :)
  • Reply 29 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    wizard69 wrote: »

By the way that is a lotta Macs there. I've owned exactly two Apple computers over my lifetime. The first being a Mac Plus all those years ago and the second being an early 2008 MBP. That Mac Plus has a special place in my heart but frankly the MBP is a less inspired machine. My big problem with apple for years had been the high prices for relatively low performance. Thankfully that has all changed for the better, Apple laptops are hard to beat now. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to say that about Apples desktops.

That's a fraction of them! I have lost count but I do recall Dual G5, several G4s and a Mac Pro 8 Core along the way ... Been in the digital media business for many years and a Mac Software company prior to that. Before that I ran an Apple dealership or two but I'm not counting all those Macs, just ones i actually had personally. If you cut me in half my wife swears there is an Apple at the core ... :D
  • Reply 30 of 39
    I have had two 11" Macbook Airs "captured" by Apple this week to look into wi-fi continuity problems I am having at work. I'm fine on 5GHz networks from Airports but my Cisco 802.11n 5GHz routers at work are not staying connected. The 2.4 GHz routers at work are fine. Third machine has same problem so it is not likely a sporadic issue from machine to machine, just sporadic among users depending upon the user and their routers. I guess they can't test every router out there but I hope they have a firmware fix soon.

Love the machine otherwise. Fast, light, and powerful. What more can I ask for? Reliable wi-fi, for one.

• Reply 31 of 39
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.

So this seed program is Apple's way of identifying and culling these idiot customers?

• Reply 32 of 39
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.

Idiots like Anand of AnandTech?

I'm going to bet that he knows more about using computers than you ever will. He also has a useful ability to look at technology dispassionately, rather than through a distortion field which rejects any criticism.

If he says there is a problem with the software, then I believe him.

• Reply 33 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stelligent wrote: »
    So this seed program is Apple's way of identifying and culling these idiot customers?

No, it's Apple's way of maintaining good PR.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Just wondering what do you think is the chances of IOS devices getting this in alls it 2014 releases?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Just wondering what do you think is the chances of IOS devices getting this in alls it 2014 releases?

If there's an AC chip out there that has a low enough power draw, it's possible. Not sure there is.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    euphonious wrote: »
    Idiots like Anand of AnandTech?

I'm going to bet that he knows more about using computers than you ever will. He also has a useful ability to look at technology dispassionately, rather than through a distortion field which rejects any criticism.

If he says there is a problem with the software, then I believe him.

Yup. Not saying Anand is perfect, but chances are if he says something is f**ked, then he's most likely right.
  • Reply 37 of 39

Quote:

Or there could be a problem. Why assume users are idiotic and Apple is *faking* this? 

• Reply 38 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Quote:

If there's an AC chip out there that has a low enough power draw, it's possible. Not sure there is.

Power is not the issue. 802.11ac is more efficient and therefore draws the same or less power than 802.11n for the transfer of the same data. 

• Reply 39 of 39
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

New hardware is released.

A small but very real percentage of users report a hardware issue.

Forum denizens cry fake.

Apple tests and releases an official fix.

Search the Apple support downloads for a complete history of official patches specific to new hardware, and search this forum for people claiming they were all non-existent problems.

Tallest Skil View Post

Like clockwork, I knew you'd be here blaming the victims. Not that you're alone...

wizard69 View Post

The problem with today's customers is that this problem is artificial with many of them. It is a result of searching the net to find something to fret about. Very few people have access to a network architecture to even verify the problem.

It is ignorance at play. Anybody expecting brand new WiFi technology to be perfect upon release just doesn't have a clue.

Which is it? Are users imagining this issue via mass hysteria, or is the WiFi tech imperfect? Make up your mind.

And "verifying the problem via access to network architecture" is a real fancy way of saying the same thing they are.

stelligent View Post

Tallest Skil View Post

Or there could be a problem. Why assume users are idiotic and Apple is *faking* this? 

Because a sociopath is defined by their inability to understand other people, feel empathy, or learn from punishment (like a recent ban).