Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 273
    khitkhit Posts: 7member
    Apple is not about profit & shares. Apple is a unique visionary company. What I really like Apple is they have a future roadmaps for all their devices & software. They always focus carefully in designing high quality hardware integrate with their software & services.
    My first smartphone is samsung. Ive been using it for more than a year. When I try to use iphone & ipad I noticed that iDevices are totally different from other devices. Its not only the premium hardware but its overall experience in Apple integration of the ( hardware+software+service) combine together to make users the best experience. Since then Ive never come back to Endroid!
  • Reply 102 of 273
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    1. Shut your hole.
    2. Tell me that anything he said is true.

1. As long as your hole is open so will mine.
    2. It was his opinion, he has every right to express it and you have every right to disagree but instead you chose to attack him/her. You're nothing but a brainless bully with little to add to any thread.
  • Reply 103 of 273
    bwhagainbwhagain Posts: 22member
    Y
    pendergast wrote: »
    Quick question: have you actually used iOS 7 in person?

Steve personally made sure Ive had the most power of anyone at Apple save for him and Tim. Ive was also his "spiritual partner".

Further, Ive didn't code iOS 7. He merely oversaw the development. Craig F is now in charge of OS X and iOS.

I don't get all this Forstall love. Since his departure, iOS has advanced more than it has in years.
    Yes buddy, I have used it. Have you? I am an iOS developer, got to check it out first hand. And I am not the only one who loath it. Mind you I always loved iOS , even I actually have done more work on Android.
  • Reply 104 of 273
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member

Very good Dan,

You dit it!  This article is a vast improvement over the last few.  You kicked some Andriodian booty and came across as a professional in the process.  That means you are taking the advice of your readers and writing from a more evolved, higher ground.

way to go!

• Reply 105 of 273
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Hey AI.  Quit putting alarmist titles on your articles, like Apple might not survive 2013.

If Apple dies, your website is also dead.  Think about it.

• Reply 106 of 273
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Google had to foresight to know that devs could improve on native apps. I constantly read complaints on Apple's keyboard here. It's nice to have a choice.

• Reply 107 of 273
    asdasd wrote: »
    It won't, not until Q4, because as Apple say themselves - which you would know if you listened to any conference calls which you probably haven't since cultism doesn't really need facts - they expect lower sales and lower margins this quarter. The figures I am quoting are therefore the most recent, the figures DED is quoting are out of date by one quarter.
    Unlike the incessant idiots and halfwits who now populate this forum I have been here since 2003.. In most forums if a senior member is called a troll by a newbie the newbie is removed. Banned. Site ban. Goodbye. I have NEVER TROLLED FOR ANDROID BECUASE I HAVE NEVER OWNED AN ANDROID DEVICE.

What I do do is point out the inconsistencies in these articles, and support the increase of Apple's market share with lower priced models, which goes against the religious fervour of the kind of buffoon now spewing his inarticulate ill formed rants across a once great site

And I am aiming to get morons like you who want to curtail debate on this forum banned. This used to be a place of normal people, who criticised Apples delays, supported some form factors, opposed others, until the APPLE CAN DO NO WRONG CULTISTS turned up and basically ruined it.

Do us all a favour and join the Scientology cult. Or some other cult. This is a discussion with people who may have different opions.

Or maybe you had some great foresight to join 10 years ago and have been laying in wait. :lol:
  • Reply 108 of 273
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve Jobs wasn't the ultimate arbiter of taste. He did approve of faux leather and green felt after all. Also, Jony Ive does not have ownership of iOS, Craig Federighi does. As far as we know the software design team is the same as it was when Scott Forstall was running iOS. I highly doubt Ive came in and dictated the way it would be with no input allowed from Federighi or the software guys under him. If that was the case we'd be hearing stories of software engineers/designers leaving.

It's a fairly standard thing in software dev for developers to receive a requirements document specifying functionality, including what the GUI will look like, and they're expected to just implement it. I don't think devs would quit over the design team giving them a GUI specification, it would just seem normal practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But for as much as some are screaming about how horrible iOS 7 is, we have yet to hear rumors about internal strife at Apple over the redesign. No John Gruber or Rene Ritchie or Mark Gurman story about Apple software engineers or designers feuding with Ive over the redesign or secretly hating it. In fact if you watch the WWDC developer videos, the software engineers seem quite excited with iOS 7. Now maybe they're all drinking Jony's kool-aid but I some how doubt it.

But we did. Before WWDC13 Gruber came out and said iOS 7 would be "polarising." At that point, before it was publicly available, who could have been polarised but the people at Apple?

• Reply 109 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's a Samsung acronym..   SAFE = SAmsung For Enterprise.

Android is used by businesses, too, and the military has custom Android phones for secure uses.  But sure, Samsung was using their acronym to attract more enterprise usage.

Because it mistook the acronym SAFE for meaning "safe" in general.   That's why it lumped iPads and iPhones in with the Samsung Galaxy SAFE devices.... and threw everything else into a "non safe" section... when it was really a non-SAFE section, if you get my meaning.

The upshot is, it's a misleading diagram.  That was understandable long ago before it was understood what was meant, but that excuse is long gone.

You guys are cracking me up tonight.

• Reply 110 of 273
    anonymouse wrote: »
    :lol:

The dummy's reply.
  • Reply 111 of 273
    A
    rogifan wrote: »
    Explain what you mean by Android catching up? In many respects Android has left iOS in the dust. In iOS 7 we're finally getting features we should have has in iOS 5. What did iOS 6 bring to the table? Panoramic photos (which Android already had) and Siri providing sports scores? Wow that's really blowing past the competition. :rolleyes:
    Android has been catching up for the past 5 years, by making it look and more and more like iOS. iOS is never about feature piling, remember iPhone did not even have 3G. Only iOS 4 added multi tasking. Blackberry had that well before 2007. Those things are NOT important. iOS has always excelled on intuitiveness and fluidity, which Android could never match. Some idiots deride Apple was for non tech people, that is actually the highest compliments for developer/designers, because they took pains to make their product easy to use. iOS 7 has neither. It is stupid and ugly. After using it a day I switched back to iOS 6 and could not be happier.
  • Reply 112 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

... Unlike the incessant idiots and halfwits who now populate this forum I have been here since 2003.. ...

• Reply 113 of 273
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Apparently the author has never heard of Betteridge's Law.
  • Reply 114 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The dummy's reply.

You mean your post wasn't meant to be funny?

• Reply 115 of 273
    gkelly wrote: »
    This article does not hold up to the level of quality and professionalism I have come to expect from Apple Insider. Very silly and crude.

That was my first impression, too g. Bit of a rant.

Samsung will soon "google" android "up the a*s!"

It will try and "copy" Apple's ecosystem model.

But just like ms, amazon, Sony and google it will fail.

They all have nerdy programmers that will put out crappy HW & crappy SW.

Apple has SJ's continued influence to persue perfection! :)

P.S. Yes, it is "an" instead of "a" when the following word begins with a vowel.

And while I'm at it, please someone tell President Obama (and all Americans) when spoken, "a" is pronounced "ah" not (h)ay. It's "a(h) policy," not "(h)ay policy!"

Sheez! If Daniel Webster were alive today, he'd be rolling over in his grave! (Avoid all cliches like the plague!)
  • Reply 116 of 273
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You mean your post wasn't meant to be funny?

No but I'll take laughs anyway I can get them. :smokey:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 117 of 273

Are this many people really so stupid as to think the title was serious?  Or that it somehow harms Apple if some knothead out there runs across it and doesn't read the accompanying article?  Really?

• Reply 118 of 273
    you know absolutely nothing about the internals of Apple, therefore cannot say anything you have said here.

Second, people have been making that bet for roughly 20 years now. It's funny every single time.
    You know what is different this time? Steve Jobs is no more.
  • Reply 119 of 273
    titantiger wrote: »
    Are this many people really so stupid as to think the title was serious?  Or that it somehow harms Apple if some knothead out there runs across it and doesn't read the accompanying article?  Really?

Again, the problem with the title is that it doesn't follow the protocol for having a question for a title. The answer shouldn't be so obvious and the answer should ultimately be no.
  • Reply 120 of 273
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

No.

Apple (lately) is more like the scientist who claims to have cured cancer, but actually just copied another scientist who really cured it 2 years ago.

You mean kind of like the data detectors that Google and Samsung copied but tried to claim Apple copied them from someone else?  Well they copied them from themselves from the mid 80s.  Last year Google tried to upstage Apple by saying they were doing things that Apple was rumored to be coming out with, like the 3D flyover.  They finally came out many months later.  This year because Apple sealed the leaks, Google had nothing really new to show but Google Glasses. How is that useful?