Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 273
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member

In my opinion something has also to be mentioned. The purchase of a smartphone is also about fashion and distinction from the "crowd" and sense of "clan". Almost every product goes from "early adopters" to "mass market" to "decline". This is not just market jargon, it has very much to do with the way our primeval mind works. Early adopters buy it because it is "cool" (case in point: GPRS iPhone 1 when 3G was already common, Google Glass nowadays, iPad before, etc etc). Then everyone wants to take part of that cool clan of early adopters and the product sees an explosion in sales (the main reason why luxury fashion brands sell perfume is exactly so that everyone can afford a piece of it...). Then, after the mass adoption, everywhere you look there's the same product in everybody's hands... So the early adopters, out of their "I don't want to be part of the mass" spirit, start to look for something new, like they are for Samsung. It makes them proud to ditch the phone everyone has, even if it is a perfectly capable phone and has a lot of features still unmatched. The specialized press, to show their "following or setting the trends" immediately jump on the bandwagon and look the mainstream product as if it was something "given", "part of the landscape". Because they have to be cool, because they have to be part of the nice of insiders...

And so it goes, the next big thing is created by a handful of people, becomes mainstream and then people start looking for the next thing. It is the way fashion goes, with their coming and going and coming back of brands, and has very much to do with group psychology. These factors are always absent in critics, fanboys, defenders and accusers, as we would live in a perfectly rational world.

People buying Android underline its cheapness, praise its customability, hackability... Consider themselves "insiders". Frown when someone takes out an iPhone... People with iPhone are so "uncool". Why? Because everyone has it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the phone... The same went for people buying iPhones "en masse" just because it made them look cool and hip. I know my point of view does not apply to everyone, probably almost no one on either side of the "fence" that reads this blog because we are more opinionated and maybe, just maybe, more rational. But look around you and tell me, honestly, I am wrong. You know I am not. I have seen people buy iPhone and use it as a "dumb phone" and people buy a Samsung galaxy 3 because it is hip and going back to the shop the next day because they had no clue about how to actually use it.

Emotions, the fashion cycle, is very much part of the coming and going of brands in the smartphone industry as it is everywhere else (cars, watches etc). Apple had the insight of the "halo effect" where every product is also intended to shine a cool light on the others. So the iPhone became a big seller when the iPad came out... Apple was on everyone's mind as the coolest company in the world. That's why the industry has to keep on inventing, that's why Apple NEEDS new category defining products. Because, let's face it, the iPhone is just the iPhone. Without iOS 7 the sales numbers of the iPhone 5S would have plummeted. Apple needed to stir up the press, polarize opposites, create a new "cool group" who likes iOS 7, praises it, and others who bash it. Because rumor creates curiosity, interest, and ultimately the cool factor that drives sales. The MacPro is a prime example. The whole press i going to divide itself about who likes it and who doesn't... Ultimately it will bring sales big time. Create the "diehard fans" that were the driving force of Apple. The small group of passionate followers that felt they were part of a small elite. Which now has become a crowded garden. That is also why Apple is in a unique position to stay on top of this "fashion or image game". Because they have several groups to which they speak to. And, I think, part of the choice to continue catering (I bet you'll see more of that in the future) the Pro crowd is due to the fact it creates halo.

Do not underestimate the power of the masses, and the driving forces that move them.

• Reply 262 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Yeah - what can you do?

Android is Star Wars.

Apple is Star Trek.

Two value systems, never shall the two meet.

Actually Since J.J. Abrams is now going to direct Star Wars Episode 7, I think they will meet.

• Reply 263 of 273
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Thats the problem with consumer surveys.

Q: Which most closely describes your experience with this product:

[A] You did your homework and made a purchase that fits your needs and meets your expectations, and as a result you feel satisfied with both the product and your choice.

[B] You are a complete moron who bought on impulse without any consideration of value and now want to complain that the product is a piece of crap, not necessarily because there's anything wrong with it per se, but, like a man buying feminine hygiene products, the product doesn't fit the need.

[C] There is no way in hell you would have been stupid enough to lay down good money on something you hate, so if you bought it, you LIKE it dammit!

[D] You can not for the life of you understand how product makers STILL don't remember that your head naturally leans slightly to the left, and therefore text displays should be slanted slightly to compensate. You bought it anyway, but you are NOT satisfied.

I'm not sure I'd use customer satisfaction surveys as an indicator of product value, since the discriminating and critical buyer I'm targeting recognizes the actual value of the results...

• Reply 264 of 273
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The tone will change when you and the other shills leave and don't come back. You aren't looking for a discussion. You're looking to spread misinformation and you'd like everyone to pretend that you deserve the same respect as honest posters. You don't. You're a professional liar and deserve nothing but contempt.

I've had productive, enlightening, useful, civil discussions with Gatorguy (despite his apparent attraction to the dark side) that help me make informed purchasing decisions. I don't agree with your assessment.

• Reply 265 of 273
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Totally agree.  

I think with good editing (and an attitude that would allow him to allow someone else to edit his stuff), DED could be one of the best writers in the industry because his ideas are great, his research is usually better than most and he has insight and a sense of humour.  However, sloppy mistakes and being overly wordy, kill the mood and turn off the reader.  

Indeed.  I generally appreciate how DED connects the dots with a lot of tech topics, but his penchant for hyperbole and grammatical excess undermine his arguments and credibility.  But, in this day and age where over-the-top rambling rants attract page clicks, generating traffic seems more important than formulating a cohesively readable and appropriately tone-aware argument. 

• Reply 266 of 273
    shurujshuruj Posts: 2member
    Android never targeted high end market only. Google is always trying to reach all living human being on earth (the next billion people). In order to reach as many people as possible they have to support low end devices... and it is normal to have fragmentation when you have to provide a platform for all.

By the way, Android is fragmented and you can't run some latest features of Android in low end and older phones. But isn't it the same for iPhone? The iOS itself is fragmented. It can't run Siri on my iPhone4. And there are millions like me who can't have features like this in their old iPhone. Don't give me the idea of 'Jail Breaking'. Androids have their Rooting too which can do hundred time more than any equivalent iPhone.

If you compare equivalent high end devices with same price range then Android can always do more and better than the iPhones and that's why iPhone has lost so much market share to Android. You can fool mass people but not for long.

Lastly if Google, Android and its partners are such a bunch of morons then why you (Daniel Eran Dilger) are wasting your time on it by writing a long article? What is your fear about Android and Google?
  • Reply 267 of 273
    bmg1001bmg1001 Posts: 4member
    You guys do know Android doesn't need new versions to add services right? Google Play Games, announced in May, works on Froyo and up, Chrome, Maps, all of Google's Goodies can be updated and working on Froyo , no need for a whole new firmware. I think this is why google is going strong.
  • Reply 268 of 273
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Indeed.  I generally appreciate how DED connects the dots with a lot of tech topics, but his penchant for hyperbole and grammatical excess undermine his arguments and credibility.  But, in this day and age where over-the-top rambling rants attract page clicks, generating traffic seems more important than formulating a cohesively readable and appropriately tone-aware argument. 

Exactly.  Its no coincidence that DED's article appear at weekend's when these forums are pretty dead.  AI need to get traffic to get those ad impressions.  That's totally understandable, they need to pay the bills.  However, bearing that in mind you should always take his posts with a grain of salt as they are written purely to get as much controversy going as possible and to hell with truth and objectivity.

• Reply 269 of 273
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bmg1001 wrote: »
    I think this is why google is going strong.

Maybe think a little more. :lol:
  • Reply 270 of 273
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    I asked my local bank what mobile operating systems they allow to access their network? Only one - iOS. In fact, they're supplying leading staff with iPads.

Linux, Android? Not a chance. Viewed only as a entry for hackers and thieves.
  • Reply 271 of 273
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

I asked my local bank what mobile operating systems they allow to access their network? Only one - iOS. In fact, they're supplying leading staff with iPads.

Linux, Android? Not a chance. Viewed only as a entry for hackers and thieves.

Are there any Mac users here old enough to remember when orgs still made platform-specific web sites?  Back in the day many were requiring Windows, and it would drive Mac folks crazy to see interoperability tossed in favor of vendor-specific implementations.  My, how times have changed.

Which bank do you use?

• Reply 272 of 273
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    Google is guessing. When you try a lot of guesses, you get lucky once-in-awhile.