Windows 8 install base surpasses Vista, still trails all Mac OS X installs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

("install base"??? That's downright illiterate. How about all the products--imitating Nintendo's poor translation skills--that use "Advance" which means "early" instead of "Advanced" which means "the latest capabilities"? Ugh.)

According to Merriam Webster your definition is the 5th one whilst "to bring or move forward" or "to raise to a higher rank" are higher in the list and are more apt to what Nintendo meant in its usage.

Definition of ADVANCE

transitive verb

: to accelerate the growth or progress of <advance a cause>

: to bring or move forward <advance a pawn>

: to raise to a higher rank

archaic : to lift up : raise

: to bring forward in time; especially : to make earlier<advance the date of the meeting>

: to bring forward for notice, consideration, or acceptance :propose <advance an idea>

: to supply or furnish in expectation of repayment <advance a loan>

: to raise in rate : increase <advance the rent>

• Reply 22 of 74
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    desuserign wrote: »
    "Are you pretending to have never heard this phrase before?"

No. I've heard this relatively new corruption of the term, "installed base" far too much lately. That's, why I point it out.
    Are you one of the converted, who has come to accept "install base" as "the new normal?" Do you also use "orientated" and "irregardless?"

You dasn't say those things!
  • Reply 23 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Isn't "internet" supposed to be capitalized too?

Indeed! I do both! I contemplated even mentioning 'Internet', too, since people always notice I do both.
    nagromme wrote: »
    How about all the products--imitating Nintendo's poor translation skills--that use "Advance" which means "early" instead of "Advanced" which means "the latest capabilities"? Ugh.)

Who the heck says they didn't want 'advance' simply because they wanted 'advance'? Who the heck are you to claim they didn't mean to name their own product what they named it?

Do you think they "meant" to name the Wii the Us? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 24 of 74
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

W 8.1 will lessen the resistance to W 8 gradually, assuming it is easy to enable the Boot To Desktop mode and a lot easier to just use your mouse. all that most Windows users ever wanted was W 7.5 - their familiar operating system with improvements under the hood and some nice new evolutionary features. maybe with some new touch UI features, but not the totally touch-oriented UI they got. we'll see ...

the huge anomaly in these numbers is the stubbornly high percentage of XP users - well over one third globally. not being a subscriber, we can't break them out by continent to see where those users are located. but my bet is most are probably in Asia and the developing world, and represent the huge numbers of cheap whitebox PC's running pirated Windows that are so common there still. XP was easy to rip off, but W7 and W8 are not. legal users of XP are now probably well under 10% of the total.

• Reply 25 of 74
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    nagromme wrote: »
    I still run XP! Glad to know I'm in good company.

I use it for only one thing: connecting to a web site I myself created, and thus manage the security of. My way of doing IE7 testing, making sure my web creations play nice.

Eventually I'll get either Windows 8 or 9. No hurry...

("install base"??? That's downright illiterate. How about all the products--imitating Nintendo's poor translation skills--that use "Advance" which means "early" instead of "Advanced" which means "the latest capabilities"? Ugh.)

I don't think that's poor translation. "Advance" can mean a lot of thinks, including being a verb.

Also, it's marketing. There is much more leeway in marketing, the same as there is in music and poetry. Think different.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    W 8.1 will lessen the resistance to W 8 gradually, assuming it is easy to enable the Boot To Desktop mode and a lot easier to just use your mouse. all that most Windows users ever wanted was W 7.5 - their familiar operating system with improvements under the hood and some nice new evolutionary features. maybe with some new touch UI features, but not the totally touch-oriented UI they got. we'll see ...

the huge anomaly in these numbers is the stubbornly high percentage of XP users - well over one third globally. not being a subscriber, we can't break them out by continent to see where those users are located. but my bet is most are probably in Asia and the developing world, and represent the huge numbers of cheap whitebox PC's running pirated Windows that are so common there still. XP was easy to rip off, but W7 and W8 are not. legal users of XP are now probably well under 10% of the total.

That would surprise me, considering every business I work with almost invariably uses XP. Then there's government agencies. I think the percentage is more heavily weighted toward non-personal use.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    "Also, "orientated" is British and is a word."

OK then. The British say it so it must be correct!(TM)
    "Am I bovered? Do I look bovered?"
    :-)

[In other words, just because the British screwed that pooch doesn't mean the rest of us have to!]
  • Reply 28 of 74
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"Also, "orientated" is British and is a word."

OK then. The British say it so it must be correct!(TM)

"Am I bovered? Do I look bovered?"

:-)

A word is "correct" if the majority of people accept it as so. Not because it has to pass the approval of grammarians and spelling Nazis. Your brain would probably explode knowing that prior to probably the 18th or 19th century that there was no real formalized spelling for words (many words were spelled multiple ways) nor were all words even spelled the same as they are now (for example show used to be spelled shew). English has never been a language of purity and formal grammarians. Get over yourself.

• Reply 29 of 74
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Easy big boy!
    Invoking "get over yourself" and "Nazi!" That's ramping things up pretty big time!
    You look "bovered!"
    Maybe you should take some time to develop a sense of humor before you publish your treatise on the definition of "correct" English words. [BTW my brain is literally exploding.]

"A word is "correct" if the majority of people accept it as so. Not because it has to pass the approval of grammarians and spelling Nazis. Your brain would probably explode knowing that prior to probably the 18th or 19th century that there was no real formalized spelling for words (many words were spelled multiple ways) nor were all words even spelled the same as they are now. English has never been a language of purity and formal grammarians. Get over yourself."
  • Reply 30 of 74
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Someone isn't using accurate numbers.

Tim Cook mentioned that Apple has 72 Million users in the install base. So if Microsoft sold 100 Million copies, then they would actually be larger than the install base of all OS X versions combined. To me, this doesn't surprise me since Microsoft has a huge lead already, I would be shocked if they didn't. But since this chart indicates that the install base of Windows 8 isn't as big as all of the OS X versions combined, then it means that Microsoft has sold 100 million copies, but less than that are installed.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    I think Windows 7 is a fine OS which I use in VMWare Fusion, but honestly, Windows XP is about as much as the average consumer will ever need. I have the most recent version of XP running on my Mac and it can run all of the programs I use without a hitch. Things like Microsoft Office and Xilosoft Video Converter and Subtitle Workshop are what I need to use and XP works great. Why should users have to upgrade the OS if they don't need to? I think Microsoft is going to have to wait a long time for Windows XP to fade away.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Good question.  And it makes me wonder if those PCs running a 12yo OS are themselves at least 12yo?  My guess is very few.  In other words, PC users are probably disproportionately installing old OS's on new computers, whilst Mac users are installing new OS's on old computers.  (Yes, I know there were a lot of computers that got XP installed on them back in the day, but I doubt that hardware has been as long-lived as the legacy software needs, so that the CPUs got replaced, and had the old software intalled on them over top of a newer OS.)

Exactly. My two year old laptop at work runs XP. The versions of Window since then have each been so dramatically different that it's a moving target for any business to decide to upgrade. Especially a large company which has a lot of interconnected systems where you have to make sure everything works when you upgrade anything.

How many Mac users do you think there are that wish they could do the same, install an older OS on current hardware? Based on the graph showing that there are more OS X 10.6 users than 10.7, I'm guessing quite a few. I'm not saying Apple should support that, just pointing out that there is sometimes good reason for staying on older (known) OSes and being able to run it on the latest hardware can be advantageous. Apple's low adoption in business, an environment with high interconnectedness between systems, gives it the flexibility to abandon technology at a faster rate that Microsoft can. Apple upsets a much smaller percentage of their cusotmer base than MS when it does that.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

37% of the, what, world? is using a twelve year old OS. image

As many have said nuermous businesses still run XP. Hell alot of regular people still run XP. XP and 7 have been the two best Windows Operating Systems. Windows 8 can suck it.

• Reply 34 of 74
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    My parents computer is still running XP. I'll prob upgrade it to Win 7 soon so they can use it till their computer dies. I would never give them win8. That is cruel
  • Reply 35 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

"though slow uptake of the new system means that it still lags behind the total install base of Apple's OS X."

Which hardly seems to be a fair comparison since that's the combination of 3 versions of OS X against a single version of Windows. Really having to stretch things with that line, eh? Seems to be more apt to say that both Vista and Windows 8 have more market share than any single version of OS X.

Well to be fair, we could always compare WP8 with iOS...

• Reply 36 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drblank wrote: »
    Someone isn't using accurate numbers.

Tim Cook mentioned that Apple has 72 Million users in the install base. So if Microsoft sold 100 Million copies, then they would actually be larger than the install base of all OS X versions combined. To me, this doesn't surprise me since Microsoft has a huge lead already, I would be shocked if they didn't. But since this chart indicates that the install base of Windows 8 isn't as big as all of the OS X versions combined, then it means that Microsoft has sold 100 million copies, but less than that are installed.

Win8 is sitting on PCs in Dell's warehouse and Best Buy's storage rooms. This survey is for web use.

Where's Mac OS X 10.5 in the chart?!
  • Reply 37 of 74
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I recently installed Win8 on my 2011 Mini.  It's actually quite nice.  I think the problem is really just the touch screen overlay.  All the fullscreen stuff, startmenu included, feels suffocating... which is odd, given that the flat and open design should feel empowering.  I think the real problem is that it's not obvious how to use it.  Everything feels like a mystery until you get back to the safety of the desktop, where Windows still has windows.

• Reply 38 of 74
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"Windows 8 install base surpasses Vista"

"install base"?

Really?

Really!?

Dear DESuserIGN. I recommend you update Wikipedia with all the neologisms and incorrect wording that bother you. (Install base shows up there under the entry for Installed Base as an, I guess, acceptable alternative.) kthxbai

• Reply 39 of 74
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

The first rule of Windows is never upgrade a Windows PC to a new Windows OS. If you want the newest Windows OS buy it already installed in a new computer.

But who would want to work on Windows! Ugh! :) 

• Reply 40 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"install base"?

Really?

Not grammatically correct...but it is the common software industry term used for "installed user base" for many years now.......techies are known to abbreviamicate and acronymize......and Mac is actually spelled macintosh