Samsung's "free" Jay Z album delivered via Android spyware app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    ipen wrote: »
    Any pre-released free album available from Apple app store?  I'll do a search now.

Actually Apple has released free content many times on iTunes, not just music but also videos. They also have had entire online streamed concerts so before you go running your mouth be sure you know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 22 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Dear copy/paste troll: I love your devotion to an adware/spyware platform, but nobody is confused here. The article clearly says:

"installed Android apps don't have to alert the user or ask for permission"

So a popup saying what the app has permission to access your gps does not count as a request for your permission. If you have to choose to accept

• Reply 23 of 89
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You cannot first say that the "app demands access" to location and contacts, and then turn around a few sentences later and claim that it did not "ask for permission".  Obviously it DID ask for permission.  

As for being a crap app, I'd agree.  It smacks of a newbie developer.  It sounds like someone took a sample code framework and accidentally left in a bunch of sample permission lines that probably aren't even used.  (Or if they are, then the project manager totally failed in oversight.)

In either case, this is not an Android thing.  It's a project management cluster mess.

There you go again, coming in here with your mere facts and raining all over McLean's parade.  How dare you!

The important thing about Desperate Danny is that he's passionate.  It doesn't matter whether anything he writes is honest or not, or even if his sentences make sense.  All that matters is that it feels good to the subset of the Apple fan base so motivated to desire a world with exactly one vendor that they're willing to call his writing "brilliant".

And they do.  Feeling good, even about dark and unrealistic desires, is more important than facts.

Some day you'll learn that, and come back here with something more supportive.  Shame on you for your continued pursuit of mere facts, putting so many people's emotions at risk.

• Reply 24 of 89
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    What I found most amusing besides the obvious data gathering overreach (hello! why do you need to know who I'm calling?) is Samsung trying to get into the music scene. Good luck with that. Apple is a decade ahead, and iTunes music plays on even the oldest iPods, not just on whatever products Samsung is currently trying to move out of their inventory cave.

This reminds me of when Microsoft would get people to come to Microsoft Store grand openings by giving away Miley Cyrus tickets, and a bunch of teen girls (who couldn't give two shits about Microsoft Office or Zune) would show up, and Ballmer could claim Apple Store-like crowds to the press.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Sorry, spyware doesn't ask permission before it spies. Maybe some of the brain dead Apple fanboys that read this site buy into that, but most people of average or better intelligence do not.  This is really no different than some of the data collection that is done by Apple on iOS with users' permission. You don't like it, don't give the app permission.

It is a shame we don't get more intelligent debate/reporting in the tech press.

-kpluck

• Reply 26 of 89
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

You cannot first say that the "app demands access" to location and contacts, and then turn around a few sentences later and claim that it did not "ask for permission".  Obviously it DID ask for permission.  

As for being a crap app, I'd agree.  It smacks of a newbie developer.  It sounds like someone took a sample code framework and accidentally left in a bunch of sample permission lines that probably aren't even used.  (Or if they are, then the project manager totally failed in oversight.)

In either case, this is not an Android thing.  It's a project management cluster mess.

Oh, K, it's definitely an Android thing. If it weren't, you wouldn't be here trying to convoke us it isn't. Nice try attempting to explain it away, but, as usual, embarrassing failure on your part.

• Reply 27 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Any pre-released free album available from Apple app store?  I'll do a search now.

Lookit - I have an Android phone**, but damn... that's one very desperate defense you just threw up there. Seriously - you're asking folks to choose between some random rapper's new album w/ spyware, and doing without said album and spyware. 

Well gee - I think I'll do w/o the spyware in either case, thanks much.

** I abuse the crap out of my mobile gear, and since I only do email and play music on the thing, I find it apt to have a cheaper phone. If it breaks or I lose it, I'll have the Exchange admin remote-wipe the thing, then go buy another phone for $50 and call it good. I average about two years on a given phone, so it's pretty economical. Now for actual computing? I have an MBP because when it comes to computers, my needs and desires demand the absolute best. It's all about use case, really.

• Reply 28 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Sorry, spyware doesn't ask permission before it spies.

Sure it does - it's just really vague about being spyware when you install it. 

Take the last time you installed a Java update for your Windows box... if you weren't paying attention, you would very easily miss that little checkbox that says you want to install the (damned near uninstallable) Ask Toolbar into every browser you own. (and yes, it's malware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ask.com ).

So yeah, technically they asked for your permission to install that bit o' malware into your Android phone... but I bet you had no clue as to the full ramifications of saying 'yes' until this article (or one like it) was posted. ;)

• Reply 29 of 89
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    3eleven wrote: »
    How is it "sneaky" when it clearly says what the app wants access to? Unless you're illiterate it's pretty straight forward.
    I would say it's sneaky because 1) it doesn't need this sort of access to the device and 2) a user wouldn't expect an app that just plays music to require such deep access.

Also, Android users would see so many of these screens they are likely to push past them. Apps are likely to request multiple permissions that they would rarely use, or would use when it is obvious (e.g. A mapping app using GPS).

We have to be practical when assessing this. What portion of users installing this app would read the permissions screen? And WHY does this app need to request such permissions? Most people would just accept them even if they did read them, thinking they are unlikely to do them any harm.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A sign of Android problems, and Samsung too--but only a fairly minor one. Minor, and yet if Apple did this, stocks would crater, bloggers would be weeping Fox News-style tears, a congressional hearing would haul Tim Cook out of bed at 3am, and TV broadcasts would be interrupted with the banner "NATION IN OUTRAGE." (Luckily, sales and customer satisfaction would be unaffected.)
  • Reply 31 of 89
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    So a popup saying what the app has permission to access your gps does not count as a request for your permission. If you have to choose to accept
    The quote is 'installed apps'. Yes, you 'accept' the permissions (which most users don't, lets be honest. They just tap 'Accept' so they can install the app.) But the point is that once the app is installed, it will no longer ask for permission to do this stuff on a case-by-case basis.

If a user has installed 15 apps in the past month, and starts using a random app they installed 3 weeks ago, they've probably forgotten what permissions the app asked for, ESPECIALLY if its an app that wouldn't require those permissions (like an app that plays music requesting access to your phone calls).

Just try and think more logically about how phones are used by regular Joes who don't think about this stuff. This app is being sneaky, because the makers know that most users won't have a clue what's going on.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

There are lots of problems with this.  Not the least of which is that people who bought a Samsung to "get" the album early aren't actually getting the album.  Instead they are getting some app that happens to play the album.  That's not even close to getting a free album.  The fact that the crappy app just happens to ask for (presumably) unncessary permissions is just gravy. 

• Reply 33 of 89
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Sorry, spyware doesn't ask permission before it spies. Maybe some of the brain dead Apple fanboys that read this site buy into that, but most people of average or better intelligence do not.  This is really no different than some of the data collection that is done by Apple on iOS with users' permission. You don't like it, don't give the app permission.

It is a shame we don't get more intelligent debate/reporting in the tech press.

-kpluck

ah, this and all the other Droid apologists here ultimate line of defense - you should know Android and apps like this are data mining all kinds of info from you! and you said ok to get some free app or some cheap phone! so ... it's ok!

so if that's not "spyware," how about we just call it "stupidware"? or "bend over and grab you ankles-ware"? or at least "no privacy-ware"? or even better, "no privacy any-ware"?

and no, Apple does nothing like this. your apps still work even when you decline granting any location or other permissions. how lame.

• Reply 34 of 89

SamsungInsider

Seems we can't go one day without this site bringing up Samsung and/or Android.

• Reply 35 of 89
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

There are lots of problems with this.  Not the least of which is that people who bought a Samsung to "get" the album early aren't actually getting the album.  Instead they are getting some app that happens to play the album.  That's not even close to getting a free album.  The fact that the crappy app just happens to ask for (presumably) unncessary permissions is just gravy. 

If one chooses to accept that insane list of app permissions then they will get the album.  The tracks get downloaded into their music folder, it's not just a streaming app.

• Reply 36 of 89
    This is more disturbing than the NSA storing call metadata on a server, which can only access the data after a court order specifying who is being investigated and why. That's it, NSA can look once. But Google has setup Android to spy on every user for as long as they use that phone. Nice

Cheers !
  • Reply 37 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

No, you are misreading things yet again.  The author said that Android apps do not have to ask for permission.  Not that they never do.  This one did, others do not.  

• Reply 38 of 89
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Perhaps you missed it a few months back when you could stream Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" in full via iTunes before the release date.  And that's not the only artist to have that done by iTunes.

Don't type dumb stuff.

• Reply 39 of 89
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, you are misreading things yet again.  The author said that Android apps do not have to ask for permission.  Not that they never do.  This one did, others do not.  

Others do not?  What apps can you install without first going thru the permissions page?

• Reply 40 of 89

Isn't jay z himself is a virus?