Samsung's "free" Jay Z album delivered via Android spyware app

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is just getting better and better.

Master Key’ Gives Bad Guys Access to Almost Any Android Phone.

There's already a post about this on the site.

• Reply 82 of 89
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

So how do you limit the data to which Siri has access (contacts, etc.) without totally disabling Siri?

Siri isn't an app. it's part of the OS/UI. you might as well ask to disable the touch screen's "access" to contacts, websites, etc. of course then the phone would be unusable.

• Reply 83 of 89
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

So where's the "Decline" button?

Probably the "back" button, although the dialog box ought to make this clearer.

• Reply 84 of 89
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Probably the "back" button, although the dialog box ought to make this clearer.

Correct. Pressing the back button gets you out of it. Pressing the back button to get out of something is a common thing in Android.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Great!! Three things I have no interest in.

Samsung, Jay-Z and Android.

I wish AI would just not post Android crap on AI.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Siri isn't an app. it's part of the OS/UI. you might as well ask to disable the touch screen's "access" to contacts, websites, etc. of course then the phone would be unusable.

But the touchscreen doesn't send all my "User Data" to Apple, its subsidiaries, and its "agents", like Siri does.  Also, the fact that Siri is doing so is buried deep in the Apple SLA (a 10 page document) that you only see on the phone when you are initially setting up the phone.  Siri is disabled on my iPhone, just like all the similar crap apps from Google and Samsung are disabled on my S4.

• Reply 87 of 89
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

But the touchscreen doesn't send all my "User Data" to Apple, its subsidiaries, and its "agents", like Siri does.  Also, the fact that Siri is doing so is buried deep in the Apple SLA (a 10 page document) that you only see on the phone when you are initially setting up the phone.  Siri is disabled on my iPhone, just like all the similar crap apps from Google and Samsung are disabled on my S4.

yes, the Siri AI is actually running on Apple servers if you want to use that service of it. but Apple is not data mining that info like Google does. it's not compiling and profiling you into a whole data base "all about you" from it and other Apple apps to sell ads/services like Google does - you're anonymous on that side of the connection. and don't pretend there is an equivalency of some kind. there just isn't.

and if you still don't like the limited things it does, as you note you can turn it off. try turning off Android's personally identified data collection. you wind up with a brick.

• Reply 88 of 89
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes, the Siri AI is actually running on Apple servers if you want to use that service of it. but Apple is not data mining that info like Google does. it's not compiling and profiling you into a whole data base "all about you" from it and other Apple apps to sell ads/services like Google does - you're anonymous on that side of the connection. and don't pretend there is an equivalency of some kind. there just isn't.

Apple has other ways of selling targeted ad space.  For example, they use our personal info and preferences gathered from iTunes, plus our location.  

Quote:

and if you still don't like the limited things it does, as you note you can turn it off. try turning off Android's personally identified data collection. you wind up with a brick.

That's not my experience.  Can you give an example of what you mean?

On Android, you can turn off personalized search results, location history, etc.  That does not stop search from working.   You can do the same for the web as well, via your Google Dashboard.

Obviously if you signed out of your Google account, then things like Mail and Notes would not work, but if you wiped out Siri's access to Contacts, you'd be in the similar situation of not being able to say "Siri, call Mom".  

• Reply 89 of 89
    jag_warriorjag_warrior Posts: 177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

99 problems and spyware is one.

*LOL*

Well, yet one more reason why I'd use two tin cans and some clothesline before I'd use an Android phone for anything other than... well, for anything.