First look: Google Glass unboxing, setup, and first impressions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Is this AppleInsider or Gizmodo?

• Reply 22 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Siri doesn't do that for me.  Second question just brought up a definition of the word "built", including its score on a Scrabble board, but no mention of the Eiffel Tower.

Curious. It works for me as described in the article, though I am running iOS 7 which could be using an updated Siri.

• Reply 23 of 122
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Is this AppleInsider or Gizmodo?

It's GoogleInsider.  Their growing obsession with everything that isn't Apple is more evident every week.

Too bad, really.  Apple has a lot going on, certainly enough to hold the attention of readers on other sites.  I wonder why AI is unable to come up with enough compelling news about Apple to keep itself afloat?

• Reply 24 of 122

I don't think this is necessarily an article that shouldn't be on AI. Glass may be a Google product but it is advertised as working with iPhone, albeit with some limitations, making it at least potentially of interest to Apple fans, if only to demonstrate that it is pretty lame in it's current incarnation image

• Reply 25 of 122

While I don't see this catching on very fast in the public sector. But in the private and industrial sector, Google glass is a game changer. Imagine the applications this has for Education, Military, Security, Law enforcement,  film (one part of that industry has already said they can't wait until public release.) and many more. While in our day to day lives this is useless in many peoples jobs this is a game changer    

• Reply 26 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

On top of that, of course, are the problems with the entire concept:

1. Many places won't allow you into the building with the device, so it's hardly going to allow you to remain connected all the time.

2. Many people are going to refuse to have anything to do with you if you wear the device.

Clearly, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I think the problem with this device is only that Google is putting it forward as some kind of universally desirable consumer device when it's clearly not.  

Imagine for instance a sort of "pro" version of Google Glass with a really good camera and audio and even head mounted illumination.  This would be an absolutely perfect and a very useful tool for a journalist.  Simply being at the site of some event and wearing something like this, and broadcasting in real time to the Internet would turn you into a reporter.  People could wear them at demonstrations and rallies or even on the battlefield (assuming wars) to be official "witnesses" to an event.  There are not tapes or memory cards to lose, or be stolen.  Sporting events are another natural use.  

The only thing wrong with Google glass is the assumption that the average person needs this in their daily lives.  Google designed it all lightweight and wimpy when it needs to actually be robust.  The reason they did so is to make it acceptable to wear for the average person on a daily basis.  A reporter on the other hand doesn't need to blend into the crowd, and there is actually a great value in being the identifiable dork with the giant camera on their head.  Google is trying to tie it into apps and the Google play store, because their purpose is to spy on the users and suck information out of them.  A more useful purpose would be to tie it into a news site with "always on" broadcasting.  

If I remember correctly, this was in fact the way the early pioneer "wearable computing" devices actually worked.  As an always-on broadcast of what the person was seeing and doing at the time.  That's the real value of devices like this to me.  You see future reporters in sci-fi wearing things like this all the time and they actually make a lot of sense.  

It's really just Google's insistence on making it a consumer device that is the problem IMO.   

• Reply 27 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

No, they need to setup an AndroidInsider website and not post Android related crap on an Apple related site that's linked to an Android related site, so that way we know not to go there.  Cult of Mac does that and it's annoying.  When I go to a Mac related site, it's getting annoying have to deal with Android users annoying people … 

I'm so tired of these kind of comments.  

Yes, it's "AppleInsider" but to have the occasional article on the competition is perfectly reasonable, logical, and acceptable.  To not do so would be tantamount to having a site that reported on World War II (if the Internet were around at the time), called "Churchill Insider" that specifically never mentioned Hitler (because of course you'd want to go to "HitlerInsider" for that).  image

We are right in the middle of a platform battle.  Never mentioning the Android army, and the Evil Empire that is Google would be just ridiculous.  

The competition is relevant to current computing issues and current areas in which Apple is competing.  If you don't like it go somewhere else.  

• Reply 28 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yes, it's "AppleInsider" but to have the occasional article on the competition is perfectly reasonable, logical, and acceptable.  To not do so would be tantamount to having a site that reported on World War II (if the Internet were around at the time), called "Churchill Insider" that specifically never mentioned Hitler (because of course you'd want to go to "HitlerInsider" for that).  image

We are right in the middle of a platform battle.  Never mentioning the Android army, and the Evil Empire that is Google would be just ridiculous.  

The competition is relevant to current computing issues and current areas in which Apple is competing.  If you don't like it go somewhere else.  

Platform battle?  That's what the media has conjured up to get people's attention.  I've already decided not to buy an Android product before I bought my first iPhone.  I read enough about it and within minutes I decided it was a flawed business model and decided it was going to fail to meet my requirements for a legitimate platform to take seriously.  I'm going to track the posts between AI and MacRumors, at a quick glance they have a lot of the exact same articles, just less Android specific or Google Glass crap.  I may decide to just go to Mac Rumors after all.  I'm just a long time visitor, probably longer than most people as I was going to this site within the first year of their existence, I just didn't open an account until 2006.  It's just a shame that I might not continue.

• Reply 29 of 122

Quote:

Platform battle?  That's what the media has conjured up to get people's attention.  I've already decided not to buy an Android product before I bought my first iPhone.  I read enough about it and within minutes I decided it was a flawed business model and decided it was going to fail to meet my requirements for a legitimate platform to take seriously.  I'm going to track the posts between AI and MacRumors, at a quick glance they have a lot of the exact same articles, just less Android specific or Google Glass crap.  I may decide to just go to Mac Rumors after all.  I'm just a long time visitor, probably longer than most people as I was going to this site within the first year of their existence, I just didn't open an account until 2006.  It's just a shame that I might not continue.

Anyone who prefers MacRumours to here is someone who prefers a lot of kiddies arguing about bullshit all day long and prefers insane insults over rational discussion.  

That being said, I'm gonna go all "14 year old girl on the Internet" at you and just say  ...

whatevs LOL image

• Reply 30 of 122

Quote:

Listen to me VERY CAREFULLY, which I doubt you will.

I think the media, whether it's AI or someone else, should start looking at the potential problems of this device.  There are some SERIOUS problems ranging from screwing up your eyesight, privacy issues and places of business have already started to ban this thing from being worn.  But the media has kind of been negligent in discussing this potential SERIOUS problem surrounding this novelty product.

AI needs to either not post crap articles that don't discuss the potential problems associated with it, to posting more Google/Android specifc articles on a completely different web site tailored to their products and platform so long time visitors don't have to post comments and piss people off.

I don't buy into the media platform battle as much as others do.  It's easy to get sucked into it.  They obviously do it to get more readers.

I know you may not like some of my posts.  Some of them I feel compelled to speak up and wish I didn't have to feel so compelled to do so in the first place.

I've been visiting Apple based sites since most of them first came out and I've normally enjoyed going to AI.  But as of late, it's quite disappointing to constantly being bombarded by Android/Google crap and attracting Android users.  Most of them act like 12 year olds that don't have a clue as to how to evaluate a platform from a Best Practices approach.  Google has done nothing but instill in me that they are NOT caring about the customer as much as they should.  Google is just a immature company in many ways.  Google seems to attract a lot of children to their environment, regardless of what age they actually are.

Nothing personal, but I am just voicing my disdain for Google products and the Android platform and how AI shouldn't be posting stuff that isn't as Apple centric as I feel it should be.  I'm not the only recognizing this. There are others that have voiced their opinions about this very topic.

• Reply 31 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSwordBearer View Post

Curious. It works for me as described in the article, though I am running iOS 7 which could be using an updated Siri.

Interesting, must be improvements to Siri that are iOS7 only.  Thanks for the scoop.

• Reply 32 of 122

Quote:

Anyone who prefers MacRumours to here is someone who prefers a lot of kiddies arguing about bullshit all day long and prefers insane insults over rational discussion.  

That being said, I'm gonna go all "14 year old girl on the Internet" at you and just say  ...

whatevs LOL image

I usually just read the articles and ignore the comments, sometimes I might chime in, but only when i have some spare time and a desire to do so.  But normally, I'm interested in reading a decent article that has a decent coverage of the topic or product they are covering.   I always have some hope that some of these people that don't have any business being on here would not make comments.

This site gets its fair share of 14 year old girl on the internet.  The kids are out on summer break.

I've been going to Apple related sites ever since they FIRST starting to post and yeah, the comments generally take a nose dive the second some kid (regardless of age) gets on and starts spouting crap.

These forums will always have that problem.  It happens on all of them.  Sometimes, I wish they would just post the article and attract people viewing the articles because they are well written, relevant, and really discuss the issues, pros and cons, etc.

What's the old saying?   Children should be seen and not heard.........    LOL.

• Reply 33 of 122

Quote:

whatevs LOL image

BTW, I have been using Apple products since 1977, have worked with several large corporate resellers that were Apple Authorized selling a TON of Apple and non-Apple products to corporations and government accounts, have gone through a lot of product training with Apple and other major computer/software mfg, know lots of people that work or have worked there, my father met Jobs back in the early days, had interacted with Steve when he worked for a company that sold components to Apple back in the 80's and 90's.  I have been in the computer industry at some level off/on since the early eighties and have been trained in things that I can safely say 99.9% of the readers have not had training in which may shed some light as to how to evaluate a computing platform.  I've made some suggestions to Apple directly for things that they implemented that Apple users use daily and I know that I was the one that brought it to their attention.

So, what's you reasoning for being here?

• Reply 34 of 122
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    drblank wrote: »
    What's the old saying?   Children should be seen and not heard.........    LOL.

Well the children have grown up and now have a outlet for all the pent up things that they couldn't say before. :lol:
  • Reply 35 of 122
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    We are the Borg. Resistance as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

No...we are the Borg...and resistance is futile. We will assimilate you apple people into a dorky culture of Segway riding, and android wearable computing devices.

Our leader The Woz will show you the way.
  • Reply 36 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Well the children have grown up and now have a outlet for all the pent up things that they couldn't say before. image

I don't know how to take your comment.  I'm trying to figure out your mentality, but I'm sure you'll expose it soon enough.

• Reply 37 of 122
    drblank wrote: »
    Listen to me VERY CAREFULLY, which I doubt you will.

I think the media, whether it's AI or someone else, should start looking at the potential problems of this device.  There are some SERIOUS problems ranging from screwing up your eyesight, privacy issues and places of business have already started to ban this thing from being worn.  But the media has kind of been negligent in discussing this potential SERIOUS problem surrounding this novelty product.

AI needs to either not post crap articles that don't discuss the potential problems associated with it, to posting more Google/Android specifc articles on a completely different web site tailored to their products and platform so long time visitors don't have to post comments and piss people off.

I don't buy into the media platform battle as much as others do.  It's easy to get sucked into it.  They obviously do it to get more readers.

I know you may not like some of my posts.  Some of them I feel compelled to speak up and wish I didn't have to feel so compelled to do so in the first place.

I've been visiting Apple based sites since most of them first came out and I've normally enjoyed going to AI.  But as of late, it's quite disappointing to constantly being bombarded by Android/Google crap and attracting Android users.  Most of them act like 12 year olds that don't have a clue as to how to evaluate a platform from a Best Practices approach.  Google has done nothing but instill in me that they are NOT caring about the customer as much as they should.  Google is just a immature company in many ways.  Google seems to attract a lot of children to their environment, regardless of what age they actually are.

Nothing personal, but I am just voicing my disdain for Google products and the Android platform and how AI shouldn't be posting stuff that isn't as Apple centric as I feel it should be.  I'm not the only recognizing this. There are others that have voiced their opinions about this very topic.

You bring up some good points, but the fact that there does not seem to be much in the way of objective criticism of google out there is reason enough for me to have the articles here. The icing on the cake is being able to watch them flounder due to their hubris and lack of creativity. And also, observing the strange contingent if trolls trying to make google seem more relevant.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    Why? Nobody made you read it.

Maybe because the site is a business and it is annoying for some readers to read non Apple related headlines.
  • Reply 39 of 122

Quote:

BTW, I have been using Apple products since 1977, have worked with several large corporate resellers that were Apple Authorized selling a TON of Apple and non-Apple products to corporations and government accounts, have gone through a lot of product training with Apple and other major computer/software mfg, know lots of people that work or have worked there, my father met Jobs back in the early days, had interacted with Steve when he worked for a company that sold components to Apple back in the 80's and 90's.  I have been in the computer industry at some level off/on since the early eighties and have been trained in things that I can safely say 99.9% of the readers have not had training in which may shed some light as to how to evaluate a computing platform.  I've made some suggestions to Apple directly for things that they implemented that Apple users use daily and I know that I was the one that brought it to their attention.

So, what's you reasoning for being here?

Seriously?  You want to turn this into a pissing war about who has the most products?  And name dropping?  Seriously?  

I made one comment about one (dumbass) comment that you made and my comment was generic and specifically not directed at you as an individual.  

You respond with endless blah, blah, blah, to which I replied (essentially) "not interested."

Your talking to yourself fella. 

You remind me of this

• Reply 40 of 122
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Why? Nobody made you read it.

You misunderstand.  I like reading it, and I think it's always good to keep up with what others are doing.

I just think there's so much non-Apple coverage nowadays, that the topic might as well have its own subforum, for the same reasons that there are other subsections.

Cheers!