First look: Google Glass unboxing, setup, and first impressions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone who prefers MacRumours to here is someone who prefers a lot of kiddies arguing about bullshit all day long and prefers insane insults over rational discussion.  

That being said, I'm gonna go all "14 year old girl on the Internet" at you and just say  ...

whatevs LOL image

LOL indeed:  that description sounds like here more than any other place I've seen on the 'net. :)

• Reply 42 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Seriously?  You want to turn this into a pissing war about who has the most products?  And name dropping?  Seriously?  

I made one comment about one (dumbass) comment that you made and my comment was generic and specifically not directed at you as an individual.  

You respond with endless blah, blah, blah, to which I replied (essentially) "not interested."

Your talking to yourself fella. 

You remind me of this

Again, what's your reason for being here?  Name dropping? I haven't even begun to name drop, even though i could do even more than I have. I just gave you a half a teaspoon of my background to give some proof on why people like me should be here and others like you shouldn't.  You haven't added value to the discussions from what I've seen.  you seem to be sucked into media hype of a what appears to me and others as a flawed product that poses some serious issues that seem to be avoided on sites because the journalists aren't doing enough research.  This type of article is done to death on YouTube videos by every Tom, DIck, and Harry.

Well, if I'm talking to myself, then why are you responding?  

Whats your background in the industry?  What can you provide other than some immature retorts?  Is that all you have to discuss?  Two way street.  

• Reply 43 of 122

Quote:

Seriously?  You want to turn this into a pissing war about who has the most products?  And name dropping?  Seriously?  

I made one comment about one (dumbass) comment that you made and my comment was generic and specifically not directed at you as an individual.  

You respond with endless blah, blah, blah, to which I replied (essentially) "not interested."

Your talking to yourself fella. 

You remind me of this

Let me pose a question to you.  What type of people do you want on this site to discuss articles?  Someone that has decades of industry experience with Macs, PCs, IT people, high end professionals ranging from Audio, video production, graphics artists, no how to analyze a company from a management perspective and financial perspective, have a technical enough background that has tested, fixed, sold, trained by various mfg in the industry, etc. or people that don't have that experience?   If you don't want someone with experience to assist those that don't on how to look at this industry and Mac specific issues, then maybe you should go to YouTube and watch videos of product unboxing and enjoy yourself.  Plenty of those to waste your time with. 

• Reply 44 of 122
    To soon to tell.
    Folks scoffed at horseless carriage.
    The Wright Bros.

Ml
  • Reply 45 of 122
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    drblank wrote: »
    I don't know how to take your comment.  I'm trying to figure out your mentality, but I'm sure you'll expose it soon enough.

It wasn't a parable and written in plain English. It's a old saying that we all heard as children but we're now adults, some of us it seems are making up for the times we weren't heard.
  • Reply 46 of 122
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Interesting review. Good, unbiased one at that (as many editorials and product promos are quite biased on AI). And it's nice that AI includes it here. I think it has a lot to do with the future of tech (not that Glass will be the future, but that the tech is there for items like this and new innovations are on the horizon)

I think this is a neat toy, but definitely not for the general population.
  • Reply 47 of 122
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Google Glass seems like an interesting experiment, to see what might come of having such capabilities.

A lot can change a decade from now, but you have to start somewhere.

I figure that if Apple can claim Apple TV as a "hobby" for years, then Google can have hobbies as well.

• Reply 48 of 122
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    You bring up some good points, but the fact that there does not seem to be much in the way of objective criticism of google out there is reason enough for me to have the articles here. The icing on the cake is being able to watch them flounder due to their hubris and lack of creativity. And also, observing the strange contingent if trolls trying to make google seem more relevant.

Yeah there's certainly nothing creative in the invention of the first computerized glasses...
  • Reply 49 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Yeah there's certainly nothing creative in the invention of the first computerized glasses...

It didn't take me long to see the potential problems.  I couldn't stop laughing uncontrollably, and to me that's a RED FLAG of a dumb idea.  Every time I had that initial reaction,the product was a dud. The other aspect was that i wear prescription glasses and having read about one of the early Glass developers that wears prescription glasses and he was unable to wear them for long periods of time just reinforces to me that it's not that great of a product coupled together with a eye doctor's comments on how they might create some potentially serious eye problems from long term use.  Not to mention them already being banned from certain places of business before they are actually sold on the market, and I don't like being always connected.  I don't use my cell phone like some overly excited teenager that can't seem to get off Twitter or Facebook on their smartphone.   Sometimes, I actually will purposely go out of the house without my smartphone just to get away from technology for a few hours as I don't want it running my life to wear I need in in my eyes everywhere I go.

I think it's one of those products that gets a certain amount of initial hype but over time, it will go by the wayside as nothing that relevant to the majority of people. I still don't have any friends that are eager to buy one, even those that use Android products.

Maybe the actual people that will buy them are mostly the same people that register with XDA and flash their ROMs.   Just a hunch.

• Reply 50 of 122
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I just watched that arrest video from Glass http://gothamist.com/2013/07/06/video_the_first_fight_and_arrest_ca.php

Was interested to see how the video actually looks. Viewed on iPad2. I presume it's using VP9 to encode.
    Not too bad all things considered. Would like to see something straight from the camera - it may have been recompressed for YouTube/iDevices certainly reencoded.

It's got potential for specific application - someone mentioned News or ENG before - yep, I can see them applied there. General public use ? uhh, I dunno, Id think not, but who the hell knows ? A work in progress.
  • Reply 51 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kdarling wrote: »
    This forum really needs to set up an Alternative Devices section like MacRumors did.

No, they just need to stop posting about it entirely.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still not interested.

Also, their name text design reads to me as "GL ASS."
  • Reply 53 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, they just need to stop posting about it entirely.

That might be a good idea.  I always like AI when they had nothing but Apple related articles.  the problem is with forums in general.  Only a few of them attract older, more mature people that can discuss things with intelligence where people actually comprehend each other and the little children (regardless of age) don't get their panties in a bunch.  Oh well. so much for forums.

Some teenagers and adults can have great discussions, but obviously one mentions some valid reasons against a non-Apple product and then the kids that like the non-Apple product get all defensive and start the personal attacks. 

• Reply 54 of 122
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So it's impossible to see in sunlight and hard to hear in noisy environments? Guess Sergey doesn't get outside much.

Yeah, it works perfectly in his Mom's basement. Guess he didn't bother testing it in the real world?

I just don't see mass appeal with this thing. The people that will use this... the same people who wear bluetooth headsets everywhere they go.

• Reply 55 of 122
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You misunderstand.  I like reading it, and I think it's always good to keep up with what others are doing.

I just think there's so much non-Apple coverage nowadays, that the topic might as well have its own subforum, for the same reasons that there are other subsections.

Cheers!

Agreed!

• Reply 56 of 122
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Google Glass = DOA
  • Reply 57 of 122
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    kdarling wrote: »
    This forum really needs to set up an Alternative Devices section like MacRumors did.
    You don't like the way they do things then leave and go to MacRumors
  • Reply 58 of 122
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    First, I will do everything I can to make sure it's banned in any workplace in which I have any control. Second, I will enforce a single rule - if you want to interact with me, you have to take them off.

This all has nothing specific to do with Google Glass and much more to do with the fact that if we accept this, then it's only going to get worse.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    Your privacy is paramount. This glass will take a snapshot of you and send it away w/o your knowledge I imagine.
  • Reply 60 of 122
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My prediction is that Glass isn't the next big thing. It'll be very popular with a subset of people who want to play cyborgs, but it will not displace smartphones, tablets or PCs.

it will not be successful, at least with the current price. This is just to be a talking point for shameless fandroids to boast, another "We first!" like Google 3D Map, like Microsoft tablets etc. But I think sooner or later this kind of devices will be a mainstream. 

It's interesting that in the end, will Apple do this? This need a massive information services which suits nicely with Google. Good for them that they play to their strength.