Editorial: Apple, Google and the failure of Android's open

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 317
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Samsung specifically, since Knox is their implementation of the secure kernel done by NSA.

Samsung nears deal for FBI and Navy purchases - WSJ

Knox allows for both a personal and a business partition, each totally isolated from the other.

So, how do they handle email accounts, other than they are protected by passwords? If someone gets into your system with a user password, how do they prevent someone from looking all of one's email?  

• Reply 302 of 317
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
    So, how do they handle email accounts, other than they are protected by passwords? If someone gets into your system with a user password, how do they prevent someone from looking all of one's email?  

https://www.samsung.com/global/business/business-images/resource/white-paper/2013/06/Samsung_KNOX_whitepaper_June-0.pdf

Samsung KNOX allows a “Work” container to be setup for corporate applications such as email, calendar, browser, storage clients, and so on, and the container will ensure that any data downloaded from the enterprise, such as email attachments and files, cannot be accessed by applications outside the container. All the data stored by applications inside the container are encrypted via strong encryption algorithms (AES-256). A password is required to gain access to applications inside the container.
  • Reply 303 of 317

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

https://www.samsung.com/global/business/business-images/resource/white-paper/2013/06/Samsung_KNOX_whitepaper_June-0.pdf

Samsung KNOX allows a “Work” container to be setup for corporate applications such as email, calendar, browser, storage clients, and so on, and the container will ensure that any data downloaded from the enterprise, such as email attachments and files, cannot be accessed by applications outside the container. All the data stored by applications inside the container are encrypted via strong encryption algorithms (AES-256). A password is required to gain access to applications inside the container.

What a hassle.  I would just simply buy my employees the phone of choice and tell them that this is for company business only and to buy their own phone for personal use and keep the data separate.  Then the user doesn't have constantly type in passwords.

I've never worked for a company that supplied phones to their employees, but if they did, I would keep the phones separate. One for business, one for personal and leave it at that.  Combing the two makes administration more difficult.  Same thing goes with computers.  That's why I tried to keep my personal stuff on my own computer and business related stuff on the corporate supplied computer.  makes things much easier.  Especially since I don't want some one at the company snooping through my personal emails, photos, etc.  Plus people don't work at a company forever, so it's a nightmare having to deal with migrating personal stuff off of a company supplied computer.

• Reply 304 of 317
    kdarling wrote: »
    Samsung specifically, since Knox is their implementation of the secure kernel done by NSA.

Samsung nears deal for FBI and Navy purchases - WSJ

Knox allows for both a personal and a business partition, each totally isolated from the other.

Not only that but Samsung will allow governments access to the source code which is a very big deal to certain departments. I really think we will see a lot more large purchases by the military and large corporations.
  • Reply 305 of 317
    What a hassle.  I would just simply buy my employees the phone of choice and tell them that this is for company business only and to buy their own phone for personal use and keep the data separate.  Then the user doesn't have constantly type in passwords.

I've never worked for a company that supplied phones to their employees, but if they did, I would keep the phones separate. One for business, one for personal and leave it at that.  Combing the two makes administration more difficult.  Same thing goes with computers.  That's why I tried to keep my personal stuff on my own computer and business related stuff on the corporate supplied computer.  makes things much easier.  Especially since I don't want some one at the company snooping through my personal emails, photos, etc.  Plus people don't work at a company forever, so it's a nightmare having to deal with migrating personal stuff off of a company supplied computer.

I've always worked for firms that provided phones to their employees. Why is it a hassle, once your password is typed in, there aren't any more security obstacles. It's not like you have two OS's in one phone to contend with, everything is done in the background and will not hinder the users experience. Though a lot of companies and government departments have 10 minute sessions or sometimes even less so you'll need to enter your password again but you would have to do the same thing if you have an additional phone.

Administration of phones is a fairly easy ordeal, why do you make it sound like it's a huge project. When a employee leaves our firm for example the IT department doesn't even boot the system up, they simply transfer a custom image to the computer or phone, erasing all data and bringing the devices back to it's original state, settings, apps, ect. I know you despise anything none Apple but that is one benefit of using Android phones in a large firm. The IT department will set up one phone with apps and settings, then backup the ROM to be used as a master, then it's flashed to the rest of the phones. As for the user getting their data out before turning in their work computer, plugging in a hard drive and copy over the user directory isn't such a big deal either. Same thing goes when your firm gives you an Android phone, plug it into any computer, it will be mounted as normal drive and then simply copy over what you need. Depending on how much data you have it normally takes a few minutes to do.

I personally backup everything over the Cloud anyway so they could take back my notebook and it wouldn't phase me.
  • Reply 306 of 317
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Real life is not like that.  People don't like carrying two phones.  Reality is that corporations either buy a specific device and lock it down, or they allow BYOD and worry.   Either way, someone is unhappy.

Quote:

I've never worked for a company that supplied phones to their employees, but if they did, I would keep the phones separate. One for business, one for personal and leave it at that.  Combing the two makes administration more difficult.

The whole point of Knox is that administration becomes easier, because the Organization only has to worry about their side of the phone.  They decide the apps, access privileges, etc for that.

On the Personal side, the user can download all the crap they want... heck, even a virus... without it affecting or being able to access the Organization side.

Quote:

Especially since I don't want some one at the company snooping through my personal emails, photos, etc.

That's the beauty of it.  The corporation can't reach the personal side, any more than the personal side can reach the business side.

It's a win-win for the employee and the organization.   Both the employee's and organization's privacy are guaranteed.  Such systems are very attractive for smartphones in enterprise and high security environments.  

It's why NSA came up with the security kernel for this.  They even reportedly tried to get Apple to adopt it, but no luck (so far).

• Reply 307 of 317

Quote:

I've always worked for firms that provided phones to their employees. Why is it a hassle, once your password is typed in there aren't any more security obstacles. It's not like you have two OS's in one phone to contend with, everything is done in the background and will not hinder the users experience. Though a lot of companies and government departments have 10 minute sessions or sometimes even less so you'll need to enter your password again but you would have to do the same thing if you have an additional phone.

Administration of phones is a fairly easy ordeal, why do you make it sound like it's a huge project. When a employee leaves our firm for example the IT department doesn't even boot the system up, they simply transfer a custom image to the computer or phone, erasing all data and bringing the devices back to it's original state, settings, apps, ect. I know you despise anything none Apple but that is one benefit of using Android phones in a large firm, the IT department will setup one phone with apps and settings, then backup the ROM to be used as a master, then it's flashed to the rest of the phones. As for the user getting his data before returning their work computer, plugging in a hard drive and copy over the user directory isn't such a big deal either. Same thing goes when your firm gives you a Android phone, plug it into any computer, it will be mounted as normal drive and then simply copy over what you need. Depending on how much data you have it normally takes a few minutes to do.

I personally backup everything over the Cloud anyway so they could take back my notebook and it wouldn't phase me.

I'm talking about having a phone with both personal and business related information on the same device.  If I got a phone from my employer, I would give that number out to whom? My friends and family?  NO. That's just for business contacts.

My personal phone would be for friends and family and personal business that has nothing to do with work, unless I own my own company.

Should I use my company's phone that THEY paid for to make personal phone calls?  NO.  Just like I wouldn't use my personal phone to make business calls.  

That's what's kind of dumb putting personal information on a phone that was supplied by my employer.  They don't need access to that do they?  NO.

If your employer bought a phone for you to use, would you own a personal phone?  If not, why? If so, why?

• Reply 308 of 317

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Real life is not like that.  People don't like carrying two phones.  Reality is that corporations either buy a specific device and lock it down, or they allow BYOD and worry.   Either way, someone is unhappy.

The whole point of Knox is that administration becomes easier, because the Organization only has to worry about their side of the phone.  They decide the apps, access privileges, etc for that.

On the Personal side, the user can download all the crap they want... heck, even a virus... without it affecting or being able to access the Organization side.

That's the beauty of it.  The corporation can't reach the personal side, any more than the personal side can reach the business side.

It's a win-win for the employee and the organization.   Both the employee's and organization's privacy are guaranteed.  Such systems are very attractive for smartphones in enterprise and high security environments.  

It's why NSA came up with the security kernel for this.  They even reportedly tried to get Apple to adopt it, but no luck (so far).

But i wouldn't want my personal information on a phone that was owned by the company.  It's their phone, their phone number and I'm only using it for business reasons, so why would i put personal information on a phone that's owned by someone else in the first place?

Please explain that one. 

• Reply 309 of 317
    If your employer bought a phone for you to use, would you own a personal phone?  If not, why? If so, why?

Well I also have a personal phone but I have it really just to goof around on and for emergencies, it's a Nokia 808 and soon to be Nokia 1020:D. My company pays for my cell bill and I have an unlimited internet plan, so I'm using it, alot. I don't understand why you would think they would have access to your info. Emails coming through via the firms Exchange server sure but the rest of my emails are from Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, ect. they don't have my password to view those. When you return the phone just simply do a wipe, there is no hidden agenda to read your emails oh go threw the pictures on your phone, well at least there isn't where I work.
  • Reply 310 of 317

Quote:

Well I also have a personal phone but I have it really just to goof around on and for emergencies, it's a Nokia 808 and soon to be Nokia 1020:D. My company pays for my cell bill and I have an unlimited internet plan, so I'm using it, alot. I don't understand why you would think they would have access to your info. Emails coming through via the firms Exchange server sure but the rest of my emails are from Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, ect. they don't have my password to view those. When you return the phone just simply do a wipe, there is no hidden agenda to read your emails oh go threw the pictures on your phone, well at least there isn't where I work.

Well goodie goodie for you. I just would use my personal phone for my personal needs and a company supplied phone for company related information and that's it. No further discussion.  I wouldn't try to take advantage of using a company supplied device for personal use.  That I do with my own money on sometime I buy.

What you think that just wiping your phone it is going to eliminate any possibility from someone to recover data from a wiped phone?  Unless I'm the owner of the company and I know the people I hire aren't going to try to dig into personal information.

I worked for one company that I wouldn't put it past them to try to get access to personal information.  The CEO and other members of upper management had done things that were unethical and possibly illegal, which is why I don't work there any more.   So what? You think that your employer wouldn't try to go through a device you turned in digging for personal stuff you had once put on your device they gave you?   Some companies aren't trustworthy in that respects, just like not all employees are 100% trustworthy too.

• Reply 311 of 317
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

But i wouldn't want my personal information on a phone that was owned by the company.  It's their phone, their phone number and I'm only using it for business reasons, so why would i put personal information on a phone that's owned by someone else in the first place?

Since I work for a corporation that has given its employees tens of thousands of smartphones, I know lots of people who do just that to save money.   But yes, obviously they'd be happier if they had a personal partition where they had more control.

Moreover, look at it the opposite way.  What if the phone is owned by you?   BYOD is a big deal these days, but corporations are justifiably wary, and often require the user to download and use corporate VPN and related security tools, that incidentally might give them access to your personal information.

To heck with that!  With something like Knox, you can bring your own device and yet only download their tools and access to the enterprise side, while the personal side stays yours alone.

• Reply 312 of 317

Quote:

You seem to buy a lot of smartphones.  how many have you owned in the last few years?  So why are you switching from an 808 to a 1020?  Don't like Symbian anymore?  I thought you were an Android user?  Can't make up your mind can you?

• Reply 313 of 317
    You seem to buy a lot of smartphones.  how many have you owned in the last few years?  So why are you switching from an 808 to a 1020?  Don't like Symbian anymore?  I thought you were an Android user?  Can't make up your mind can you?

No, I only used Android at work, I had a Samsung Note, they switched us this year to the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10, so no more Android phones for us. I love my Nokia 808 but Symbian has had it's last breath, plus the screen resolution really isn't the best so I'm giving it to my daughter and updating to the 1020. Yes it's Windows 8 but should at least offer a little more in the way of speed, apps and other creature comforts. I pre-ordered it the day it was released and should have it by August 1st. I have also pre-ordered a Jolla Phone but that will be strictly for programming, a hobby phone basically.

I also still have every Nokia Communicator that I ever bought, even a couple of new ones still in the box like a 9300 and 9500. Nokia N8, brand new Nokia N9, N900, all together I have about 36 Nokia and a few Ericsson's phones. I collect them as you have already guessed. I get them cheap from overstock warehouses and eBay. I only buy them new in their boxes. I even have a couple of gold plated ones like the Oro.:D

Tacky but pretty.........

Look at the cute box it came in...

This phone cost about 1200 when it was new, I got it for 80 and it was still sealed in the box
  • Reply 314 of 317
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

What you think that just wiping your phone it is going to eliminate any possibility from someone to recover data from a wiped phone?  Unless I'm the owner of the company and I know the people I hire aren't going to try to dig into personal information.

Actually, I would think the drones in the IT department would be more likely to look at the owner's personal info than anybody else's. (Well, perhaps the hot chick in sales...)

• Reply 315 of 317

Quote:

No, I only used Android at work, I had a Samsung Note, they switched us this year to the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10, so no more Android phones for us. I love my Nokia 808 but Symbian has had it's last breath, plus the screen resolution really isn't the best so I'm giving it to my daughter and updating to the 1020. Yes it's Windows 8 but should at least offer a little more in the way of speed, apps and other creature comforts. I pre-ordered it the day it was released and should have it by August 1st. I have also pre-ordered a Jolla Phone but that will be strictly for programming, a hobby phone basically.

I also still have every Nokia Communicator that I ever bought, even a couple of new ones still in the box like a 9300 and 9500. Nokia N8, brand new Nokia N9, N900, all together I have about 36 Nokia and a few Ericsson's phones. I collect them as you have already guessed. I get them cheap from overstock warehouses and eBay. I only buy them new in their boxes. I even have a couple of gold plated ones like the Oro.image

This phone cost about 1200 when it was new, I got it for 80 and it was still sealed in the box

FYi. I've only bought one smartphone in my life, and have had only 3 cell phones in my life before that.  I had a StarTac phone I bought in 2000 because it was installed in my car and it was the only thing at the time that actually worked well for hands free. I had that phone and a replacement after I dropped once too many times for over 10 years.   I had a Nokia before that, and I can't remember the one before that.  I PURPOSELY only give my cell phone number out to only a VERY small, select number of people.  I also PURPOSELY try not to let it rule my life.  I use it as sparingly as possible, PURPOSELY.  I use it more for emergencies than people that want to clog up the cell towers with useless conversations, tweets, facebook nonsense, and trying to look self important.  I could care less about a lot of these whiz bang features because most of them are pretty much useless in the long term.  Camera?  even my iPhone 4 takes good enough photos for my purposes. If I want to take photography more seriously, I'll get a Nikon, Hasselblad or some other expensive camera with REAL lenses, etc.

You obviously, have a phone fetish. To me, that's an expensive hobby or a waste of time. I know a few people like you that seem to think that you're cool because you have this little collection of phones.  I know someone that would investigate every new phone on the market, every carrier and all of their options and he became so obsessed with things, it became difficult to talk to him like a normal human being.  He carried around at least 3 phones at all times, and they were the latest and greatest at the time.  You might want to try to go a month without a phone and see if you can notice something about your behavior.   I'm not the type of hoard phones, regardless of the price and think I'm hot stuff.  I prefer NOT knowing everything about things that aren't work related or hobby related.  Smartphones a hobby?  I think it's a fine line between an hobby and an obsession. I think your's is the later, unfortunately.  At least that's MY perspective.  Are you married?  What does your husband think of your obsession?  If my wife collected smartphones, i cut her off and tell her to get involved with some other hobby like learning to paint, learning to play a musical instrument, collecting art or something that the both of us could share that's REAL and helps with the relationship and individual growth. Does that make sense to you?

• Reply 316 of 317

Quote:

I also still have every Nokia Communicator that I ever bought, even a couple of new ones still in the box like a 9300 and 9500. Nokia N8, brand new Nokia N9, N900, all together I have about 36 Nokia and a few Ericsson's phones. I collect them as you have already guessed. I get them cheap from overstock warehouses and eBay. I only buy them new in their boxes. I even have a couple of gold plated ones like the Oro.image

Why don't you look for one of those Vertu phones to add to your collection.  Maybe you can find some obscenely rich person selling their gold and Swarovski encrusted outdated models for $50.  Talk about a STUPID product. 

• Reply 317 of 317

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Actually, I would think the drones in the IT department would be more likely to look at the owner's personal info than anybody else's. (Well, perhaps the hot chick in sales...)

Yeah, some of the IT people are a little strange. They have to get their jollies one way or another.

Actually Apple's MDM is probably good enough for most scenarios, but I'm sure Apple will always enhance it as time goes on.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/it-center/deployment-mdm.html