Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Looking forward to both of these, the standard iPad and the mini iPad, tech progress is always entertaining as well as useful.

And an IZGO screen for the iPhone would be a nice extension of it's utility.

• Reply 62 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I would.  In my mind the difference is the OS.  iOS doesn't have a file system, and while it's possible to have SD cards without a file system, it's awkward.  
    IOS has a file system! That file system isn't directly exposed to the user though.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm also thinking that I don't want a retina iPad mini if it's even a smidge heavier or thicker, but alas, the current one is so seriously underpowered, that it would be hard to keep using it another year.
    Both iPads cold use a performance boost. If they go to an IGZO screen and a process shrink that should be easy to accomplish. The big thing with the OS though is RAM. Apple really needs to bump up RAM to someplace between 2 & 4 GB. This would directly improve the performance of many apps but more importantly is needed to support features of the next iOS update. Rationally it is about time to see a doubling of RAM and flash in the pads anyways.
     The (presumed) performance increase of the new one will probably make it a hard choice.  I'd love to see them make a new one without retina as without the albatross of all that graphics hanging around it's neck it would be super fast, possibly as fast as iPad mini 3.0 or 4.0 will undoubtedly be.  
    That makes no sense. If iPad Mini #2 is faster then they would have to make 3&4 even faster. I don't think this will be a problem with the transition to TSMC. The big problem there is that you will need to wait for the 2014 model. I wouldn't be surprised to find that that 2014 chip is a 64 bit quad core solution too.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    You highlight an important point here, scripting is an important feature of apps, something Apple must pursue throughout iOS. Even though AppleScript is getting a major overhaul I'm still not convinced it is the right solution. Scripting from within apps would do wonders for iOS and greatly reduce the problems associated with the OS's locked down nature. I've often wondered about JavaScript in this context but have seen little to indicate it is being widely adopted for app scripting.
    iaeen wrote: »
    I'm not sure about never. Currently, Microsoft is refusing to come out with a full iPad version to try to bolster its surface sales. If/when they realize that this strategy is a total failure, they might decide to cut their losses and release Office for iOS.

Not allowing suites on the App Store is not an insurmountable problem. They could simply copy Apples strategy and offer each app seperately, or they could come up with another scheme to get around it.

I'm all for moving foreward, but currently I dont see a viable replacement for Office. Specifically, i dont know of any other spreadsheet software that is as well thought out and includes something like the VBA functionality as does Excel. Though an iOS version will likely have much of this functionality removed, untill someone else comes along who can improve on this Office will remain the standard for productivity software.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    pendergast wrote: »
    How often would the average person need to use VBA on the iPad?
    It might not be VBA specifically but application scripting support is very important. Honestly though I don't think the iOS developers agreement supports scripting languages like VBA.

As to need, this is simple, anything beyond the trivial requires scripting.
    I've never had to use VBA period, even on the desktop. And it's not like I don't use spreadsheets all the time.
    Some people lead a simpler life. No big deal but don't underestimate the importance of scripting to others.
    Numbers does 99% of what the average user needs to do. Most people just think they need Office because of the brand recognition.
    Actually that is garbage, Numbers is the weakest app in the iWorks suite.
    That said, while I love Numbers on the desktop, I find the iPad version unusable. Maybe it's just the form factor and necessary UI. I don't know.
    It does take awhile to grasp Numbers on the iPad. I'm not happy at all with the iWorks iPad solution. Frankly it is a piece of crap and the lack of file compatibility with the desktop is part of that.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Poor baby got burned, or are you or are we making a mountain out of a mole hill?
    zod buster wrote: »
    would not buy another iPad after purchasing an iPad 3 and within 3 months a new one appeared..yes it still worked but I still feel I got burned...
  • Reply 67 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Numbers does 99% of what the average user needs to do.
    wizard69 wrote: »
    ...Numbers is the weakest app in the iWorks suite.

I'm not sure either statement is false.
  • Reply 68 of 75

For business use I find scripting support very important. I don't consider myself an advanced user either, I don't even work in management. However being able to script together a quick solution is very valuable.

As for Numbers being weak well it is all relative, so relatively speaking the rest of the iWorks suite is very competitive when out up against other products.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this (and I know that Apple would never do it), but I agree and wish that Apple would add a microSD slot. Paying $100 for an extra 16GB (upgrading from the 16GB model to the 32GB model) or 32GB of storage (upgrading from the 32GB model to the 64GB model) is just ridiculous to me.

If people could expend their device storage infinitely by purchasing a $20 card it would make it difficult to get repeat customers. It also burdens the user with managing a "file system", which is not really an intuitive computing concept (unless you have previous PC experience).

Storage capacity is one of the only ways Apple can differentiate across multiple price points without fragmenting the ecosystem.

Yes they make a significant mark up on flash storage, but they can only price at what the market will bear. This is ultimately a good thing for the user because your are investing in a profitable platform. Contrast this to the netbook market where margins were so thin quality was thing first to go. 

• Reply 70 of 75
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    IOS has a file system! That file system isn't directly exposed to the user though.

It isn't exposed to the user the way desktop computer users are accustomed to seeing. Indeed, the notion that iOS doesn't have a file system is silly.
  • Reply 71 of 75

On the other hand, there is no basis to claim that either is correct.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stelligent wrote: »
    On the other hand, there is no basis to claim that either is correct.

I rather think Numbers can fit the bill for a large portion of the spreadsheet market; don't you? If it couldn't, it wouldn't be selling in its current state at all.
  • Reply 73 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I rather think Numbers can fit the bill for a large portion of the spreadsheet market; don't you? If it couldn't, it wouldn't be selling in its current state at all.

Large portion ... most probably.

99%? No basis to support such a claim.

• Reply 74 of 75
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.
    Office and Sd cards aren't coming (unless Microsoft stops battling) Accesory is available
    ireland wrote: »
    Micro SD card slot? You do know you're talking about an iPad right? You won't get that. More battery life is always great, but it's great already.

What we won't get which is needed IMO are FAR better speakers. If the iMac is any indication expect the iPad to keep getting thinner and the sound to keep getting worse each year.
    Yes So far we have seen it as least likely to upgrade. However IPad mini having stero might seem we have a huge redone speaker system, maybe airplay with surround sound!
  • Reply 75 of 75
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Large portion ... most probably.

99%? No basis to support such a claim.

I said 99% of what the average user needs, not 99% of the market. The average user is the majority, so for the majority, it does 99% of what they need to do.

And it's priced accordingly.