G7 thru 10

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Spec..

-100 Terabyte Hard Drive

-512 GB of RAM

-G10 Processor will no longer process data with lowly electricity, but instead will use light.

-"ID-ROM" Infini Drive will use multi-color luminence technology, that will compact data using everyvariation of light, thus creating a disk that will hold infinite amounts of data, (medium allowing) So @ ahh, 1billion Terabytes, and that's being safe.

What would you want? (remember we're talking about the future, so allow your every greedy desire to run wild.)

for me, I support the light idea ...and after that...plasma?

-walloo

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:

<strong>Spec..

-100 Terabyte Hard Drive

-512 GB of RAM

-G10 Processor will no longer process data with lowly electricity, but instead will use light.

-"ID-ROM" Infini Drive will use multi-color luminence technology, that will compact data using everyvariation of light, thus creating a disk that will hold infinite amounts of data, (medium allowing) So @ ahh, 1billion Terabytes, and that's being safe.

What would you want? (remember we're talking about the future, so allow your every greedy desire to run wild.)

for me, I support the light idea ...and after that...plasma?

-walloo

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah, by that time...QUANTUM COMPUTING. Screw binary logic. I want quadrinary logic.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 38
    bobthetomatobobthetomato Posts: 665member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Quantum computing. An instantaneous result, unfortunately one of a simultaneously infinite number of presented results. Choosing the right one's the real trick, and pretty hard outside of a toy problem. Sorting and culling infinity takes a long time even for an infinitely fast computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't an

infinitely fast computer by definition be fast at handling infinite data sets?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    The G8 with Mac OS XV: Telepathically linked with your brain. It will bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "Think Different"
  • Reply 5 of 38
    bobthetomatobobthetomato Posts: 665member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Quantum computing. An instantaneous result, unfortunately one of a simultaneously infinite number of presented results. Choosing the right one's the real trick, and pretty hard outside of a toy problem. Sorting and culling infinity takes a long time even for an infinitely fast computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't an infinitely fast computer by definition be fast at handling infinite data sets?
  • Reply 6 of 38
    carbon3carbon3 Posts: 34member
    Introducing the new Power Mac G7: It's so fast that it can finish an infinite loop in 3 hours!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    You guys need to do some reading...

Please feel free to correct me with newer info, but as I understad it...

Quantum computing may very well use light. Researchers use lasers to cool gases to within a billionth of a degree of absolute zero (that's the theoretical tempature where all atomoic motion stops). It works sort of like an anti-microwave. Atoms vibrate at a cetrain freqeuncy (this is how some atomic clocks work), if you dump the right kind of energy at the exact same frequency, but one step out of phase you cancel each other out, leaving the atoms very still.

Now a neat thing seems to happen when you cool matter down to this level, it combines to form a sort of single atom. It's sort of the next state of matter.

This leaves the gas atoms in a state of intense quietness. It's a great environment to work on the quantum level, sort of a sound proof room.

There is a LOT of research in this area going on now, When I first started reading about quantum computing a few years ago, everything was saying that it would be 30 years before we would see a practal experiment of quantum computing. We have several companies like IBM building working 2, 4, and 8 qubit quantum computers TODAY.

Now as we understand qc today, it's really great for things like code breaking, because it can simutanusly evaluate all posible codes and arive at an answer instantly. Extracting the right answer from the infinite possibilities is a tough one, but they do it regularly today.

I think the coolest practical application of qc working today is quantum encryption. This enables two people to pass a key between each other and if anyone intercepts the transmission, it instantaniously corrupts the key and both parties are aware of the spy. They've got this working over several KM, and the 1st roll out will be covert (NRO, FEMA, CIA etc.) satelite comunications.

Read Ray Kurtzweil's "The age of spiritual machines" It'll give you a great idea of where we were in 1999 and provide you with lots of follow up reading material links.

Truly exotic computing ideas I've heard are quantum DNA based computers and just recently I saw an article online about a new enginered virus with quantum computing application.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 9 of 38
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Press release: Apple Releases new G7 Power Mac

1.6Ghz G7 processor

128MB DDR Ram

80GB Ultra ATA 66 Drive

SuperDrive

NVidia Geforce 5MX graphics Card

Firewire

Airport

4 slots

In Photoshop tests apple engineers found it outperformed Intel Quantum light based biological computers by up to 40%

An apple executive said "This is way beyond the rumo . . "
  • Reply 10 of 38
    cowofwarcowofwar Posts: 98member
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>Press release: Apple Releases new G7 Power Mac

1.6Ghz G7 processor

128MB DDR Ram

80GB Ultra ATA 66 Drive

SuperDrive

NVidia Geforce 5MX graphics Card

Firewire

Airport

4 slots

In Photoshop tests apple engineers found it outperformed Intel Quantum light based biological computers by up to 40%

An apple executive said "This is way beyond the rumo . . " </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahahhahahah, Apple got burned.

So true...so true..

But that's if Apple's around for that long. I predict that Apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple years. The current processors are a joke and the G5 is still a ways off.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    macintoshmacintosh Posts: 22member
    By bankrupt you mean sales of over 800,000 computers in a quarter and profits of about 40,000,000?

Get real.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by Carbon3:

<strong>Introducing the new Power Mac G7: It's so fast that it can finish an infinite loop in 3 hours! </strong><hr></blockquote>

being that the specs were so horrible compared to the PC world that it caused the company residing at 1 infinite loop* to go bankrupt and close up shop in 3 hours?

*thats apple for those that don't know
  • Reply 13 of 38
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    hey jason more than likely that idea will be outdated in a few months. one my high school friends is being trained on an algorithm that allows two computer to arrive at the same random key with out actually passing it. i don't know how it works. its so far over my head when he tried to explain it i started laughing. but from what he said i think thats basically what happens.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Whoa, i'm bringing this back...it was my first post...also a thread starter. Never did a follow up.

Are there any changes from two years go? Any new interesting technologies out there.

I seriously think that before quantum computing happens, that binary light computing could be interesting...or wait...maybe combining fibre computing with quantum.

Remember this is the thread of the future.

heh.

-walloo.

p.s. Oh, and by the way, I'm listening to David Hasselhof (sp?) and some chick singing "that loving feeling" song...so if you could imagine the pain and suffering I've had during this post...there's no way you can even imagine...unless you had yours on repeat. I WANT TO EAT MY BRAINS OUT.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Ummm...

Errr...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I don't understand why you would want to bump such an old thread... even if it is your's.

Anyway... future eh?

Well... I hope computers become embedded within us... As powerful as need be... we would stop viewing the computer as a object we use and start viewing it as an extention of our human body. Of course by then the standard computer will be the size of a grain of rice so as to be easily implanted...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Ahahhahahah, Apple got burned.

So true...so true..

But that's if Apple's around for that long. I predict that Apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple years. The current processors are a joke and the G5 is still a ways off. [/B]

I was wondering what this comment was about. Too bad apple doesn't exist anymore...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    All I have to say is just think about the technology that has been covered up by our own government, and realize technology got a huuuuge boost in July 1947 in Roswell New Mex. Reverse engineering has paid off...we got alot of new toys from it..You may think Im a nutbar but, there's too much info and people out-there that state otherwise.

http://www.gravitywarpdrive.com/Element_115.htm

just think about it...
  • Reply 18 of 38
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I would be content to just see a faster G5 right now. \
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Sorry for the upheaval of this old topic, but interesting to bring this back every once in a while, to see any new views, or any new changes in thought.

===

The 1947 incident provided numerous questions for us to ponder. Many won't get answered, and I'm not on that bandwagon, so I won't be able to tell you much on this.

It is interesting though what the 20th century provided us. The suddle changes from the Dark Ages (or anytime before, for that matter) through the 19th century proved nothing in the wake of the 20th.

At the rate we are goin, with talk about implants at birth (much similiar to actors in The Matrix-like learning), our human race as a whole would be able to overcome a major nuisance, the great time it takes to learn. Speaking, of course probably about a half of a millenium (1000/2 years = 500yrs) in to the future, we'll be able to complish so much more with a memory bank that doesn't randomly erase itself.

This greater control over what we remember will have a profound affect on our social system as a whole, but would greatly help us to grow as a species, intellecutally.

-walloo.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Uh, yeah, why are you bringing it back again eh? We already saw it a few days ago, eh.