Samsung passes Apple's iPhone in smartphone Web usage - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

All those trojans spamming the world? 

• Reply 42 of 71
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Not according to NetMarketshare they don't.   I'm wondering how much of all this market share data a close to reality.

• Reply 43 of 71
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Because this study shows the relative percentage of web usage between platforms.

If Apple iPhone sales flatlined because of the wait for the 5S, while Samsung is aggressively marketing its new S4 flagship model, Apple's web usage ratio will drop.

It will only affect it if the people buying S4s are first time smartphone buyers.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

It was weird that all those people with their large screened Samsung phones weren't using the internet, I at least use my tiny iPod in the shitter to do some time waster web browsing, I can't imagine other people not doing that no matter what brand.

And listen, if the competition is getting better at it, then Apple needs to step up, what else? Net result, we enjoy better gadgets, pay a little coinage, not really "a little", sigh...

• Reply 45 of 71
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I love how when Apple is on top, a lot of people here are like "take that Samsung! Apple is obviously going to be on top". Then, as soon as the data shows Samsung is in the lead, everyone is like "data is faulty, not reliable, could never happen".

It's ok if Apple is not on top. We all know they make a superior product, but we shouldn't turn into those who skew the data or pick and choose based on what supports our position. Let the data stand for itself. Apple will be back on top in due time.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I love how when Apple is on top, a lot of people here are like "take that Samsung! Apple is obviously going to be on top". Then, as soon as the data shows Samsung is in the lead, everyone is like "data is faulty, not reliable, could never happen".

It's ok if Apple is not on top. We all know they make a superior product, but we shouldn't turn into those who skew the data or pick and choose based on what supports our position. Let the data stand for itself. Apple will be back on top in due time.

Well, it's because the data IS faulty.  When you don't properly account for vastly different internet usage rates from country to country and you leave out a buttload of iOS devices, it skews the data. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the bleeding obvious.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Amazeballs.  To the Samsung sycophant site!!

• Reply 48 of 71
    titantiger wrote: »

Fair enough, but then we shouldn't think it's good data when Apple is on top. We just need to be honest, regardless of who is "winning"
  • Reply 49 of 71
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,266member
    Paid for by Samsung
  • Reply 50 of 71

Quote:

Fair enough, but then we shouldn't think it's good data when Apple is on top. We just need to be honest, regardless of who is "winning"

Well, it's not that we thought it was "good" data with Apple on top and the same data is bad now.  It's that it's different data entirely that bears no resemblance to real world usage.  It's sort of like counting "shipped" the same as "sold through to consumers", except it's actually less honest.

• Reply 51 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

This is not a sales chart.  It's a chart detailing internet usage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No it's not. It's a chart of web page hits.

You look silly when you try to disagree with me by agreeing with me.

• Reply 52 of 71
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Well, it's not that we thought it was "good" data with Apple on top and the same data is bad now.  It's that it's different data entirely that bears no resemblance to real world usage.  It's sort of like counting "shipped" the same as "sold through to consumers", except it's actually less honest.

Don't waste your time, Timbit is just repeating the same thing in different words that don't even respond to your post. Typical troll technique.

• Reply 53 of 71
    bishopbishop Posts: 3member
    WOW! Nokia got almost 28% back to Aug 2012! That's very outstanding! I wonder what Nokia phone people were using.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    anonymouse wrote: »

Don't waste your time, Timbit is just repeating the same thing in different words that don't even respond to your post. Typical troll technique.

Lol I don't troll. Post my opinion, read others. I try to be fair and unbiased, unlike some here. I prefer Apple products, but I'm not going to become religious and closed minded and only see the world through an Apple filter. If other companies do well, I give them credit where it is due (as long as it was fairly attained). If its Samsung, so be it. If they copied, I'll call them on it.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    negafox wrote: »
    Um, how is it Nokia is at the top until the start of 2013? This cannot be just smartphones. It would be a very liberal definition of smartphone if it is.
    This might shed some light:
    http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2482816

That basically says that Nokia is 10th in smartphones. That does make me think these numbers include a bunch of feature phones using WAP and crap like that. They are probably counting Facebook and Twitter access from feature phones.

"Nokia: Its mobile phone share dropped 4.9 percentage points in the first quarter of 2013 mainly due to a steep decline in feature phone sales. Although Nokia’s Windows Phone sales have sequentially improved reaching a volume of 5.1 million units, Nokia is yet to see high growth in the smartphone segment. Nokia’s position in the smartphone market dropped to No. 10 in the first quarter of 2013, from No. 8 in the fourth quarter of 2012."
  • Reply 56 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Sorry what devices were left out, the stats were for mobile devices, all iPhone models were included in the study, they even added statistics for the iPod which was the only none phone product listed. As Samsung also makes media devices with internet and weren't present here I would say Apple was more then fairly covered.

• Reply 57 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop View Post

WOW! Nokia got almost 28% back to Aug 2012! That's very outstanding! I wonder what Nokia phone people were using.

It's the Nokia 520.

• Reply 58 of 71

The mobile web usage stats are a bit obtuse: mainly because Samsung sell 'phablets' whereas Apple don't. I dare say that if you add ALL iOS sourced web traffic, it still exceeds Samsung's. 

Even taking the stats as they are (i.e. flawed methodology which clearly conflates different types of device usage for Samsung and ignores Apple's) it's still fairly stunning that Apple and Samsung are level-pegging, considering that Samsung's product range is so significantly broader. That just one single type of device from Apple commands such usage is a testament to how much better it is.

• Reply 59 of 71
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Neither stat source tells the whole story.

Among other differences, NetMarketShare only looks at 40,000 websites, mostly in North America, and they only count each visitor once a day.  Meaning that if one user spent two seconds looking at one page on a website, and another spent hours viewing 100 pages on that website, they count as the same "usage".  In other words, it doesn't actually tell us web usage, but only the number of of their rather limited sites visited.

StatCounter tracks over 3 million websites, and counts each page view, which is more real life web usage.  Except... the downside of counting page views is that some browsers tend to reload pages a lot within a website, even if just navigating back and forth between a main menu and each page.  That would falsely skew both page and ad views in favor of those browsers.

• Reply 60 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry what devices were left out, the stats were for mobile devices, all iPhone models were included in the study, they even added statistics for the iPod which was the only none phone product listed. As Samsung also makes media devices with internet and weren't present here I would say Apple was more then fairly covered.

It left out the iPad and iPad Mini.  Given the massive installed bases those represent for iOS, and the fact that so many are sold with cellular connectivity, it's a bit disingenuous to remove them from the equation and pretend that some other OS has made big gains in web share.  And that doesn't even count people like me that don't have the 3G/4G chip in their iPad but regularly use their iPhones as a 4G hotspot so they can surf the web on their iPad.  While Samsung does make things like the Galaxy Tab, the sales of those are so miniscule compared to the iPad line, leaving those out doesn't really hurt Samsung's numbers.  Plus it's including numbers from those ginormous "phablets" (the Note series) which only makes the omission of the iPad and iPad Mini even more glaring.

But really the bigger sin in these meaningless numbers is not properly weighting them for differences in internet usage by country.