Nokia bets on photography to boost sales with 41MP Lumia 1020

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    jj kayjj kay Posts: 8member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Whatever.  Would care to make a wager that that new iPhone will outsell the Lumia probably by a factor of at least 10 to 1?   How many 920's were sold since it's introduction?  How many iPhone 5's were sold?

Why do you need to save two photos?  to take up more space?  Yeah, better be prepared to deal with using up all of you storage.  Most people use these things to post photos on Facebook and use with Instagram, which are pretty low end solutions.  Jeez.   41 MP would be overkill for both of these.

I think it's futile to even discuss one announced product over something that hasn't been announced or even comparing against a product that was last year's model.

User has option to save either just 5mp or both 5mp for quick sharing to facebook, etc, and full resolution at 38mp. We were comparing cameras and now you're bringing up numbers, so let's talk about numbers. iPhone's smartphone market share dropped from 23% to 17% over the year. Apple's stock from a year ago (July 20, 2012) fell by 30% while Nokia's increased by 230%.

• Reply 102 of 110
    jj kayjj kay Posts: 8member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Amen to that!

When companies do that sort of marketing, that's misleading the consumer. WHen companies overclock the processor is similar deceptive business practices.

You wanna know what's misleading? Click the link below.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/21/us-apple-australia-fine-idUSBRE85K03J20120621

• Reply 103 of 110
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    relic wrote: »
    Looks like Nokia has a winner, AT&T has sold out on all pre-orders. Yaaay, go Nokia.

Looks like Nokia has a winner, AT&T has sold out of Lumia 920s Yaaay, go Nokia.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920-sold-out-att
  • Reply 104 of 110
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Kay View Post

Where'd you get that the output's only 5mp? 1020 takes 2 shots at a time. one that's sampled down to 5mp and another at full resolution at 33mp or 38, I forgot.

Weird? I got it from their PDF. (link was posted earlier) 

Quote:

What happens next depends on the settings and whether or not you’re using zoom. But to give you

an idea, the default still image setting is 5Mpix at 16:9, 

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/849564/data/2/-/Download1.pdf

• Reply 105 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Can I ask you where you are getting your info from in regards to only being able to save at 5MP. 

Now I know why you kept calling foul, you must have not understood or just did a quick read somewhere.

Quote:

What happens next depends on the settings and whether or not you’re using zoom. But to give you

an idea, the default still image setting is 5Mpix at 16:9, 

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/849564/data/2/-/Download1.pdf

Quote:

The 41MP sensor can capture 34MP and 38MP image files at 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios respectively. In addition to the 38MP and 34MP full-resolution images, the Lumia 1020 camera captures 5MP oversampled images so that every pixel in the 5MP image has been created using the data from up to seven pixels of the sensor. 

5MP is the sweet spot for image quality that is easy to share and printable up to A3 size. And because our 5MP images condense the information from the 41MP sen- sor, they have amazingly high image quality. 

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/2723846/data/1/-/Lumia1020-whitepaper.pdf

This PDF gives more details showing it does capture 34MP and 38MP files, but to get the best images the output (by default I believe) is 5MP oversampled. So even at that this camera still does not output 41MP files, and more so, the image they are showing are the 5MP oversampled while advertising 41MP. 

Still a bit misleading, no matter how good the images look. 

• Reply 106 of 110
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

This PDF gives more details showing it does capture 34MP and 38MP files, but to get the best images the output (by default I believe) is 5MP oversampled. So even at that this camera still does not output 41MP files, and more so, the image they are showing are the 5MP oversampled while advertising 41MP. 

Still a bit misleading, no matter how good the images look. 

The Pureview technology is what they're promoting but if you know camera settings you will defiantly get better pictures when using Full Resolution Mode. Even in 5MP the camera is still taking a 38MP picture, so the user can zoom into the picture and crop what he needs or do post editing to the lighting, ect. Did you check out the Pureview forum I posted above? I personally use the Full Resolution most of the time unless I'm taking a picture specifically for online use or for sending to other people. Even then though I could still use a 38MP photo and resample it to 3, 5, 8 or 12MP.

• Reply 107 of 110

Quote:

The Pureview technology is what they're promoting but if you know camera settings you will defiantly get better pictures when using Full Resolution Mode. Even in 5MP the camera is still taking a 38MP picture, so the user can zoom into the picture and crop what he needs or do post editing to the lighting, ect. Did you check out the Pureview forum I posted above? I personally use the Full Resolution most of the time unless I'm taking a picture specifically for online use or for sending to other people. Even then though I could still use a 38MP photo and resample it to 3, 5, 8 or 12MP.

No I did not, as again, I don't care (not being harsh*). You keep promoting the image quality and gushing over the camera, which is great. I have NOTHING against the camera as I have not seen, nor wish to see, any real world usages. I was ONLY commenting on their marketing of the 41MP. 

I am ALL for more competition in any market as it increases innovation and decreases consumer cost. 

*I don't care as I don't  with Nikon innovations. I am a Cannon fanboy as well as an Apple fanboy. I only care what these two companies can deliver to me. I mean no offense to any other products or their innovations. 

• Reply 108 of 110
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

What are the file sizes that you are dealing with?  I'm assuming they save them as jpg files.

• Reply 109 of 110
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Camera looks good, but my iPhone 5 looks like it takes pictures faster, singles and burst. Plus it has HDR. Really surprised this phone doesn't, it's marketed to photographers. When I show my HDR photos from my iPhone 5 at Ireland, people's mouths gape open every time. My friends have asked me to text them these photos, one friend told me she was going to have one painted. I love showing them off.

I'm a once semi-pro fine arts (film) photographer who knows others still at that level or higher (working in everything from $28K digital 6x7cm mega sensors to Daguerrotypes).  And, while I've regressed to "digital point-and-shoot-ism," there's a sense among many in these communities and non-pro friends that HDR photos often have a surrealistic look that some find artsy and others very "artifacty" and even unpleasant. 

I'm kind of agnostic on that, depending on the particular pic and its purpose, but do agree the effect is not exactly natural looking in many, if not most, cases. 

But, damn, what am I talking about?  We're in the Instagram age where artifice is ipso facto (by popular definition) art.... ...so mount up and let's go shoot... ...anything... ...and get it on the netz pronto!

• Reply 110 of 110
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
    What are the file sizes that you are dealing with?  I'm assuming they save them as jpg files.

For a full resolution photo the file size is about 8MB and yes they are JPEG'S.