Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    gerrit wrote: »
    My girlfriend's iPhone 4S started using Yahoo for search from the search box last week. There's no explanation as to why... Could it be the carrier settings? (She's on Sprint.)

I'm a developer and can't figure out any other way that setting could have been changed... I'm 99% sure she didn't do it. She never using the Settings app and even has it buried in a folder.

This happened to me. Found the problem. Was my fault. You should read those pesky little dialogs that pop up asking permission to use your location. That's not always what they ask. Sometimes they ask if you would like to switch search providers. You get so used to them that you just touch "Ok".
  • Reply 42 of 79
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

I agree competition pushes the platform together. But Fair competition , not rip off copy and using all the dirty tricks u can in retail to push ur product.

Im talking about Samsung spending all that marketing revenues on paying of there shills so they can talk bad about apple.

Unethical competition like that is what gets me to dislike certain companies. Google's great with tech and i love them for there other projects but not Android.

• Reply 43 of 79
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

I hate Eric. He, together with the "old" microsoft and a few OEMs represent everything that is wrong within the tech world. Google does some great things.

• Reply 44 of 79
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    How does that saying work in the Internet age?

I don't know. I was just trying to play the room. :)

Seriously though, they can't cut ties and act like people here wish they would. It is impossible. One big reason is there are still a fairly large number of iOS devices running iOS 5 that still use Google for mapping. Apple is probably still paying Google a reduced fee to keep the services for those legacy devices up and running. So conversations and relationships must continue. It's business, not high school.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I can't stand Schmidt but with Steve and Scott gone I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of a thaw. My guess is the whole thermonuclear war against Android was supported most by the two of them.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'll assume you are being serious here ... Have you any idea how little $ Google make from Android users and how much from Apple users? Then imagine Apple, as they will, throttling off the Apple users $ stream going Google's way. Now you can see why this creep is in deep doo doo?

For the moment it's not really all that significant. Estimates using data from the Oracle/Google trial put total Google mobile revenue from iOS users at a paltry $2B or so. . . over a four year span. Revenue from Android users over that same four years was even worse at only $550 million over those same four years. Figures published more recently guess that total mobile ad revenues might hit $8B this year, with Google getting half of that or a bit more.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    rednival wrote: »
    I don't know. I was just trying to play the room. :)

Seriously though, they can't cut ties and act like people here wish they would. It is impossible. One big reason is there are still a fairly large number of iOS devices running iOS 5 that still use Google for mapping. Apple is probably still paying Google a reduced fee to keep the services for those legacy devices up and running. So conversations and relationships must continue. It's business, not high school.

Exactly, well said. People are so polarized, it's silly. I have Apple hardware and Google services. It's a beautiful world.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member

My point -  give users the option.  A significant % will pick Bing.  A majority will still pick Google  

• Reply 49 of 79
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Eric arrives at Apple..

ES: Let's let bygones be bygones

ES: So what's new?

ES: Oooh what's underneath that!

ES: Let's take a look around!

ES: I'll be glad to help you guys out and become a board member again..

ES: Like old times...as a favor to Steve of course, god bless his soul..

Eric is still with his foot caught on the door feels Tim pushing it harder

ES: Oooh that hurts, what do you say Tim my man. Let me in.

ES: Ok, I'll come back later..

• Reply 50 of 79
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

[Android] "which has subsequently taken over the global smartphone market."

OH yeah?  Prove it.

Seriously, prove Android has any kind of significant share.  You can't, because Android makers dont' release sales numbers like Apple does.  Google certianly does it.

Even if you believe this claim is true, there's no relevance for putting it in the article.

If android were successful, the makers of android phones would be very proud of their sales numbers... they wouldn't treat them like state secrets.

• Reply 51 of 79
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

edit

• Reply 52 of 79
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Of course, he's kind of a sociopath. So take his words with a grain of salt.

• Reply 53 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Well it's nice to see we are not taking things personally and are keeping this discussion grounded .  image

• Reply 54 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

edit

AND JUST WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, GOOGLE LOVER?! 

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself image)

• Reply 55 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ronbo wrote: »

But an extremely wealthy sociopath if he is one.
    http://www.forbes.com/profile/eric-schmidt/
  • Reply 56 of 79
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Well it's nice to see we are not taking things personally and are keeping this discussion grounded .  image

I don't see where I've taken anything personally. Though you seem to have don so. I've made a comment about a man who has a very long and well-documented history of saying things that step over the creepy line, without seeming to understand the extent to which others don't share his view of things. Such people are sometimes extremely skilled at achieving success, but sometimes their interpretation of events isn't shared by other parties. That's the point I'm making. I guess I have to be more expository for some people. Another example might be if Samsung execs say "We've been having many more meetings, and relationships are improved." A reader wouldn't have to have taken the recent Apple-Samsung history personally to wonder if maybe the "improved relations" were more a one-sided PR than a mutual view of things.

• Reply 57 of 79
    Google remains a company dominated by adolescent thinking, where strategic planning is all but absent, as evidenced by Google TV, the Android mess, and other initiatives.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So that's MORE "collusion" right?
  • Reply 59 of 79
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Google remains a company dominated by adolescent thinking, where strategic planning is all but absent, as evidenced by Google TV, the Android mess, and other initiatives.

Other companies only wish they were so successful without strategic planning.

• Reply 60 of 79
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

So that's MORE "collusion" right?

Maybe. That's how frenemies roll. Sometimes they collide. Sometimes they collude.