eBay debuts store for 3D printed objects with 'Exact' iOS app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Online auction and shopping giant eBay on Friday debuted Exact, an app dedicated to selling customizable 3D printed objects, like iPhone cases, jewelry, and other small items, directly from a user's handset.

To make Exact a reality, eBay partnered with three major 3D printing studios, Sculpteo, MakerBot, and Hot Pop Factory, and is offering a limited assortment of small-scale products. test

With the 3D printing process, sellers are able to offer custom plastic trinkets at relatively low costs. For some products, like Sculpteo's iPhone 5 case seen above, the app features a built-in customization UI, affording customers create unique, one-of-a-kind object designs that are then fulfilled by eBay's sellers.

From the release notes:
  • Bring your style to life. Choose from a variety of materials, including plastics, wood and metals. Use the engraving feature to further customize your product.
  • Be the first to use new technology to create one-of-a-kind iPhone cases, jewelry, and figurines based on self-portraits.
  • Build your collection. Whether you love jewelry or figurines, eBay Exact allows you to create as many unique products, exactly as you like, based on your personal desires and preferences.
Currently, the number of items up for sale is quite sparse, and includes 18 cases, rings, necklaces, and figurines. More products may be added at a future date, though no information was given regarding the app's future plans.

eBay Exact is a 6.4MB free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Apple needs an iPrinter and 3D app store (when the time is right). Was only talking about this yesterday.

• Reply 2 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd prefer if Apple started buying up all the IP to make this possible and license it to manufacturers instead. They don't need to be making more product that is outside their "wheelhouse".
  • Reply 3 of 21
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The problem here is that almost any mesh you want to think of is not only not copyrightable in the first place, it's typically stolen from the original creator. Add on to that, the fact that pretty much any mesh can be copied (which is how most of them originate), and the idea that you should actually pay money for it goes out the window.

This is the equivalent of selling sewing patterns which are similarly not copyrightable, originate from copying, and command the lowest prices of almost any saleable item on eBay.

Anyone who pays for a mesh on eBay is an idiot.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    This is a good path for custom products geared towards the consumer. The problem is simply the available items. It would be even better if the app allowed customers the ability to send in their own designs. Granted, there would be limitations on size and complexity, but the need is there. Everyone wants to have something uniquely their own and 3D printing just might fit the bill with the right promotion.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The problem here is that almost any mesh you want to think of is not only not copyrightable in the first place, it's typically stolen from the original creator. Add on to that, the fact that pretty much any mesh can be copied (which is how most of them originate), and the idea that you should actually pay money for it goes out the window.

This is the equivalent of selling sewing patterns which are similarly not copyrightable, originate from copying, and command the lowest prices of almost any saleable item on eBay.

Mesh?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I'd prefer if Apple started buying up all the IP to make this possible and license it to manufacturers instead. They don't need to be making more product that is outside their "wheelhouse".

Outside of using 3d printing for rapid pro typing, why do you see this as technology that Apple had to own?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Does anyone remember when eBay was a website where individuals could sell and buy things? Now it's a corporate monstrosity that consists of big business sellers, abuses individual sellers, and supports buyer fraud. Oh and now they have 3D printing. Which has what to do with auctioning?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I am glad this technology is starting to get some traction, it does need an Apple to make the "3d printer for the rest of us" though for it to really take off. But maybe it's too soon for that, the printers are still quite primitive.

• Reply 9 of 21
    binexbinex Posts: 23member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Mesh?

He's referring to the underlying 3d model that 3d printers interpret to actually print the object.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_mesh

• Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am glad this technology is starting to get some traction, it does need an Apple to make the "3d printer for the rest of us" though for it to really take off. But maybe it's too soon for that, the printers are still quite primitive.

And also they are still pretty expensive and aimed at the hobbyist. MakerBot make the great Replicator 2, but at US$2,000+ it is expensive.

The lads at Pirate3D have just wound up their KickStarter campaign for The Buccaneer 3d printer which has elements of Apple'ness about it and they are aiming to have it retail around the US$400-500 mark. Not bad at all. I've signed up for one and if all goes according to plan (and in KickStarter it doesn't always, but that's the risk you have to accept) I will get mine at the end of year. I'm pretty excited to see what I can make with it and I do wish the lads well in making it a success.

http://pirate3d.com

Edit: oops, missed out the word "well" in the last sentence.

• Reply 11 of 21
    binex wrote: »
    He's referring to the underlying 3d model that 3d printers interpret to actually print the object.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_mesh

That's what I was afraid of. He's making up stuff again.
  • Reply 12 of 21

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. He's making up stuff again.

Yes, he appears to have missed the point on what is actually been offered. A few details are missing from the article above. The following is from the actual eBay announcement on their blog. Essentially they have teamed up with 3 3d printing companies that will produce the items that people buy from eBay Exact. I'm guessing there's scope for auctioning limited objects etc. as well as the standard offerings? Personally, I don't really see the attraction of this service just as of yet; I'm sure most of the stuff on offer can be had elsewhere through conventional means and at similar prices. Also, there are already online services available that offer 3d printing & delivery of your objects for those that don't currently own a 3d printer.

Starting today, iPhone users can download and use our newest app, eBay Exact, to buy customizable “printed” merchandise from three leading 3D printing companies. Customers can choose from roughly 20 items, ranging from technology accessories to jewelry, from Brooklyn-basedMakerBot®, France-based Sculpteo and Toronto, Canada-based Hot Pop Factory. (3D printing is clearly an international affair.) Items cost anywhere from $9 for a plastic iPhone case to $350 for a metal ring, and are shipped directly from each 3D printer’s facilities.

http://blog.ebay.com/ebay-inc-is-getting-multi-dimensional-with-ebay-exact/

• Reply 13 of 21
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Outside of using 3d printing for rapid pro typing, why do you see this as technology that Apple had to own?

Because 3D printing is going to be HUGE and insanely disruptive and lucrative going into the future.

• Reply 14 of 21
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    An interesting concept that could turn into a very useful service in the near future.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Because 3D printing is going to be HUGE and insanely disruptive and lucrative going into the future.

Drug trafficking is a bigger market. And Apple won't have to worry about taxes or Samsung.
  • Reply 16 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by binex View Post

Yes, he appears to have missed the point on what is actually been offered. A few details are missing from the article above. The following is from the actual eBay announcement on their blog. Essentially they have teamed up with 3 3d printing companies that will produce the items that people buy from eBay Exact. I'm guessing there's scope for auctioning limited objects etc. as well as the standard offerings? Personally, I don't really see the attraction of this service just as of yet; I'm sure most of the stuff on offer can be had elsewhere through conventional means and at similar prices. Also, there are already online services available that offer 3d printing & delivery of your objects for those that don't currently own a 3d printer.

Starting today, iPhone users can download and use our newest app, eBay Exact, to buy customizable “printed” merchandise from three leading 3D printing companies. Customers can choose from roughly 20 items, ranging from technology accessories to jewelry, from Brooklyn-basedMakerBot®, France-based Sculpteo and Toronto, Canada-based Hot Pop Factory. (3D printing is clearly an international affair.) Items cost anywhere from $9 for a plastic iPhone case to $350 for a metal ring, and are shipped directly from each 3D printer’s facilities.

http://blog.ebay.com/ebay-inc-is-getting-multi-dimensional-with-ebay-exact/

I get that he's not only missing the point about what eBay is doing. He totally misconstrues and misrepresents how 3D printing works. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone who thinks this is about meshes is an idiot.

• Reply 17 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Drug trafficking is a bigger market. And Apple won't have to worry about taxes or Samsung.

Is that what white iPhones are made of? ;)
  • Reply 18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is that what white iPhones are made of? image

At least, there's an app for that.

• Reply 19 of 21
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    gazoobee wrote: »

What are you going on about? Read the article.
  • Reply 20 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by binex View Post

And also they are still pretty expensive and aimed at the hobbyist. MakerBot make the great Replicator 2, but at US$2,000+ it is expensive.

The lads at Pirate3D have just wound up their KickStarter campaign for The Buccaneer 3d printer which has elements of Apple'ness about it and they are aiming to have it retail around the US$400-500 mark. Not bad at all. I've signed up for one and if all goes according to plan (and in KickStarter it doesn't always, but that's the risk you have to accept) I will get mine at the end of year. I'm pretty excited to see what I can make with it and I do wish the lads well in making it a success.

http://pirate3d.com

Edit: oops, missed out the word "well" in the last sentence.

Thanks for the info! I can't wait for this to come to market!