Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security

Comments

• Reply 21 of 194
    Great article - very informative. Didn't know half that stuff, really appreciate the whole story. And from someone who isn't simply trying to hop on the bandwagon by recycling other news stories to create click bait. You've obviously written this article out of some deeper thought and research than many mainstream newspapers.
  • Reply 22 of 194
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I'm not saying that. The information about Google and Android is fine. My issue is with the tone in which he writes. It is very negative and wears on me at least. Hard to make even half way through this one. The information is great. The underlying message "Google takes shortcuts because building a quality and secure OS is not its priority" is also fine. You can make a point and cite facts without sounding like you are whining about it.

OK, I just didn't read it with the same inflection then. Maybe my intolerance for the copycat and rip off merchants tunes out what you read as 'negative'. I'd say he is extremely gentle on the lot of them in this article.

I share your intolerance the all thing google, android, and samsung. I have an addition one for the quality I expect for people that represent themselves as journalist. Honestly, if he ditched the negativity and positioned the facts a little better, they could be some of the best journalism on Apple ever. Right now they are more like blog posts than editorials.
  • Reply 23 of 194
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    bwhagain wrote: »
    DED now is kind of hysterical about Android, perhaps there is some kind of inner insecurity. From technical point of view, Android will have a very hard time to catch on, if at all. The first impression I had with Android SDk was that was very similar in concept with a phone os I worked on back in 99. It was a phone is designed with manufacture as the potential customers. So initially the security was very weak. Also the framework hinders the development for complicated apps. iOS has been a miniaturized computer os from day one. From a developer's point of view the gap between iOS and Android has been widening. Android still does not have a coreData equivalent that was introduced iniOs 3. iOS 5 added storyboard. Android layout editor is still worse than Interface builder for iOS 2.0. Perhaps that is the reason google now put chrome and android in the same group.

I think too many folks are hysterical about DED's view of Android. ;) I do agree about the opposite directions iOS and Android came from. What alternative did Google have given they had Android ready to go as a BB rip off when the decision was made (I favor the Eric connection but no proof) to rip off Apple's new concept. They had to layer the touch interface on top and run as fast as they could.
  • Reply 24 of 194
    I share your intolerance the all thing google, android, and samsung. I have an addition one for the quality I expect for people that represent themselves as journalist. Honestly, if he ditched the negativity and positioned the facts a little better, they could be some of the best journalism on Apple ever. Right now they are more like blog posts than editorials.

Ok, perhaps he should keep them this way for AI where we love red meat and massage them for the rest of the world :)
  • Reply 25 of 194
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    iosx wrote: »
    Can we get more Apple news, and less Android hate?

It's the weekend... I have a feeling this story will sit on top of this site until Monday... :\
  • Reply 26 of 194
    iosx wrote: »
    sflocal wrote: »
    If the cold, dark reality scares you, then scurry back to the corner of the room Mr. One-post drive-by.

DED is not wasting his time with "hate" stuff as you put it.  He is simply writing - very clearly - the advantages of iOS, the real truth that went on when Jobs unveiled the iPhone, and the botched, half-a$$ system that Android is.

I remember the iPhone being introduced back in 2007 and I knew mobile would never be the same.  I also remember what really happened back then and all the propaganda being put out by iHaters, and the clueless media as they attempt to rewrite history and making it sound like the iPhone really wasn't a big deal.
    If this journalist could get an interview with Steve Jobs, surely he could spend the time looking into future Apple products. Maybe he can try to dig up some details about the A7, or possibly unannounced OS features. You know, the news that actually matters.

I don't think he interviewed Steve. He asked a question at the shareholder meeting mentioned later in the article. If that was it, that's no interview for the record.
  • Reply 27 of 194
    bwhagainbwhagain Posts: 22member
    I think too many folks are hysterical about DED's view of Android. ;) I do agree about the opposite directions iOS and Android came from. What alternative did Google have given they had Android ready to go as a BB rip off when the decision was made (I favor the Eric connection but no proof) to rip off Apple's new concept. They had to layer the touch interface on top and run as fast as they could.
    Talking about ripping off BB, yes I was doing BB development back then, android phone's design was a carbon copy of BB, the roller ball, back and menu button, green and red buttons. The only difference was google added a search button. However we should give credit for google, at least they know who's the guy to copy. They immediately shifted gear when seeing iPhone. While RIM doodled for 3 years before waking up.
  • Reply 28 of 194
    I don't think he interviewed Steve. He asked a question at the shareholder meeting mentioned later in the article. If that was it, that's no interview for the record.

That's how I read it too.
  • Reply 29 of 194
    bwhagain wrote: »
    Talking about ripping off BB, yes I was doing BB development back then, android phone's design was a carbon copy of BB, the roller ball, back and menu button, green and red buttons. The only difference was google added a search button. However we should give credit for google, at least they know who's the guy to copy. They immediately shifted gear when seeing iPhone. While RIM doodled for 3 years before waking up.

Yes they sure know who to copy although I still believe Eric was a mole feeding them info as he got it, albeit conceptual, I doubt directors had access to actual data. Had the iPhone never been released and Google had gone ahead to take on BB with their rip off, I wonder how history would have played out.
  • Reply 30 of 194

Ok, perhaps he should keep them this way for AI where we love red meat and massage them for the rest of the world :)

Quite a few mainstream news outlets are citing AI. A more professional positioning of the facts could do more to help with the larger problems with the mainstream media. Him whining about how they all missed his big insight won't help. Hime citing the question asked an answered as early proof of Apple's intention is enough. I'm hopeful DED steps up to the greater task at hand. The facts laid out in either style are welcome on AI for sure. I want them to go further.
  • Reply 31 of 194
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

A bit disingenuous to start your story off with a line that  you "interviewed" Steve Jobs when in reality you asked a question at a stock holders meeting. An interview implies a face to face detailed conversation or at the very least a series of questions or something a little more intimate than asking a question over a mic far away in a crowded room. You can also have telephone or Skype interviews, but again I would think that would mean a series of questions. This article gave me a sense of déja vu since it read a bit like a compilation with bits and pieces taken from many of your other recent articles. I think you were a bit too ambitious and tried to tackle too many very complex themes and a rather long time span. There were lots of dots but I don't think you connected them well. A little more Georges Seurat and a little less Jackson Pollock. With a little more surgical precision and less hyperbole you might make a more convincing case.

• Reply 32 of 194
    Quite a few mainstream news outlets are citing AI. A more professional positioning of the facts could do more to help with the larger problems with the mainstream media. Him whining about how they all missed his big insight won't help. Hime citing the question asked an answered as early proof of Apple's intention is enough. I'm hopeful DED steps up to the greater task at hand. The facts laid out in either style are welcome on AI for sure. I want them to go further.

Ok I tend to overlook citing data ... done with links ... You are right, we need more journalists out there explaining what's going on than we have and it should come across as balanced and fact driven. I see what you are saying.

Many people I know who love their Apple products are buying into all the anti Apple journalism out there. I have even been asked if I think Apple will be around in a couple of years! Ha!
  • Reply 33 of 194
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    Thanks for this quality editorial!
  • Reply 34 of 194
    gwmac wrote: »
    A bit disingenuous to start your story off with a line that  you "interviewed" Steve Jobs when in reality you asked a question at a stock holders meeting. An interview implies a face to face detailed conversation or at the very least a series of questions or something a little more intimate than asking a question over a mic far away in a crowded room. You can also have telephone or Skype interviews, but again I would think that would mean a series of questions. This article gave me a sense of déja vu since it read a bit like a compilation with bits and pieces taken from many of your other recent articles. I think you were a bit too ambitious and tried to tackle too many very complex themes and a rather long time span. There were lots of dots but I don't think you connected them well. A little more Georges Seurat and a little less Jackson Pollock. With a little more surgical precision and less hyperbole you might make a more convincing case.

You guys are winning me over. DED's stuff is so good factually he should aim higher journalistically and by that I mean higher than simply for us here, the AI readership.
  • Reply 35 of 194
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I'm not saying that. The information about Google and Android is fine. My issue is with the tone in which he writes. It is very negative and wears on me at least. Hard to make even half way through this one. The information is great. The underlying message "Google takes shortcuts because building a quality and secure OS is not its priority" is also fine. You can make a point and cite facts without sounding like you are whining about it.

Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat, it was a very good write-up.

• Reply 36 of 194

Ok I tend to overlook citing data ... done with links ... You are right, we need more journalists out there explaining what's going on than we have and it should come across as balanced and fact driven. I see what you are saying.

Many people I know who love their Apple products are buying into all the anti Apple journalism out there. I have even been asked if I think Apple will be around in a couple of years! Ha!

It is very sad. Apple is doing so much right, yet getting so much bad press. Crap reporting and endless beat down on the stock are so over done. I'm happy taking the dividend, but it would be nice to see more appreciation in the stock considering how well Apple is actually executing.
  • Reply 37 of 194
    It is very sad. Apple is doing so much right, yet getting so much bad press. Crap reporting and endless beat down on the stock are so over done. I'm happy taking the dividend, but it would be nice to see more appreciation in the stock considering how well Apple is actually executing.

Hear hear!
  • Reply 38 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This seems more interesting to me: Apple hires fresh talent for ‘iWatch’

If Apple's just now hiring for wearable tech projects then we're not seeing anything from them in 2013, and probably not until mid-late 2014.

Apple probably has been working on the so-called iWatch for more than five years, before 2013 or 2014, big engineering projects take years, at least at Apple they do. I'm interested in the Liquid Metal possibilities, rumors about this material and Apple have been around since 2009-2010.

• Reply 39 of 194
    danox wrote: »

Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat, it was a very good write-up.

Did you use a bad analogy on purpose? I read what I could and skimmed the rest. My tolerance has been dropping with each editorial. I was at least able to read through all the rest. You say "very good", but lets all ask for great ok?
  • Reply 40 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

It was a good article Google, Amazon are competitors with Apple, what do you want sugar on top, Google is a Ad (smoke and mirrors) company at it's heart, Apple isn't and never has been.