Rumor: Apple to launch redesigned iPad mini this year, Retina model in 2014

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's second-generation iPad mini will launch later this year with a thinner and lighter design, while a model toting a high-resolution Retina display may not debut until 2014, if a new rumor is to be believed.

iPads


The claims were published on Monday by DigiTimes, a tech industry publication notorious for being the source of numerous questionable Apple-related rumors. Its latest details, sourced as usual to unnamed people in Apple's supply chain, suggest a new iPad mini with a thinner and lighter design will launch in the second half of 2013.

That model, though, would be something of a minor refresh, the report said, while a major upgrade with a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel Retina display could come later. Supply chain sources allegedly indicated that the Retina iPad mini isn't likely to go into production until late this year, which would set it on track for a 2014 debut.

In addition, the report said that the Retina model would see yet another redesign, this time with "an almost bezel-free look."

The details come just a few days after a separate report from the Far East also claimed that Apple's iPad mini may not gain a high-resolution Retina display until early 2014. Various reports have indicated that Apple had hoped to launch a Retina display on its 7.9-inch iPad this fall, but that technical issues may prevent the company from doing so.

Monday's report also included allegedly details on a fifth-generation full-size iPad, suggesting the device will use "thin-film touch screen technology" to reduce its weight by up to 30 percent. The 9.7-inch iPad is also expected to have a thinner bezel design, and shipments are expected to reach between 2 million and 3 million units in August and September.

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities revealed back in April that Apple's fifth-generation iPad will be 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner than its predecessor. Subsequent parts and cases have supported expectations that the device will feature a design similar to the iPad mini.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    "Its latest details, sourced as usual to unnamed people in Apple's supply chain, suggest a new iPad mini with a thinner and lighter design will launch in the second half of 2013."

    Well it's hard to imagine anything thinner and lighter than iPad mini theese days. (maybe an iPod touch but that isn't a tablet anyway)
  • Reply 2 of 31
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 473member
    The rumor machine certainly isn't taking any chances - offering up just about every possible scenario about the next ipad and ipad mini. Who couldn't, at this point, point to a thinner and lighter (ipad) and higher res ipad mini? Going further and suggesting a thinner and lighter mini is filling in the blanks that I'm not sure even exist, because who out there really thinks the mini is too thick or too heavy? If Apple is working towards a hi-res ipad mini, which I'm sure they are, going thinner at this point would only make sense if the new hi-res screen allowed for a thinner profile and smaller battery. If not, it would be stupid to go thinner using the existing screen, only to have to go thicker with a hi-res screen version.

    I understand Apple did just that going from the ipad 2 to 3, but I doubt they'd do that again.

    My prediction is for a new full size ipad designed like the mini to arrive this fall as well as a refreshed mini with upgraded internals but no retina display. Next year a retina version mini and upgraded internals full sized ipad.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member


    Fine by me.  I've been fooled into paying for retina once already.  It's a minor improvement at best.  


     


    I don't believe the "lighter & thinner" part, but if true it would be more welcome than retina. 

  • Reply 4 of 31


    I'm not sure about a 'bezel-free' iPad - the bezel is useful - stops one's thumbs from making accidental touch inputs...

  • Reply 5 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Fine by me.  I've been fooled into paying for retina once already.  It's a minor improvement at best.  

    I don't believe the "lighter & thinner" part, but if true it would be more welcome than retina. 

    Again, you prove to be the worst poster on this entire site. Your contributions are atrocious and nothing but bait.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm not sure about a 'bezel-free' iPad - the bezel is useful - stops one's thumbs from making accidental touch inputs...

    Um, take a look at the iPad mini.

    Its not without bezel. Its also not an unnecessary extra 17 mm in width, as the current iPad is.

    No one said anything about Bezel-free. Take a look a realistic concept: http://************/2013/01/16/what-happens-when-ipad-minis-thin-bezel-design-is-applied-to-the-10-inch-ipad-mockups/
  • Reply 7 of 31
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    The rumor machine certainly isn't taking any chances - offering up just about every possible scenario about the next ipad and ipad mini. Who couldn't, at this point, point to a thinner and lighter (ipad) and higher res ipad mini? Going further and suggesting a thinner and lighter mini is filling in the blanks that I'm not sure even exist, because who out there really thinks the mini is too thick or too heavy? If Apple is working towards a hi-res ipad mini, which I'm sure they are, going thinner at this point would only make sense if the new hi-res screen allowed for a thinner profile and smaller battery. If not, it would be stupid to go thinner using the existing screen, only to have to go thicker with a hi-res screen version.

    I understand Apple did just that going from the ipad 2 to 3, but I doubt they'd do that again.

    My prediction is for a new full size ipad designed like the mini to arrive this fall as well as a refreshed mini with upgraded internals but no retina display. Next year a retina version mini and upgraded internals full sized ipad.

    Agreed. Not sure the benefit of slimmer and lighter right now for the Mini.

    Maybe we'll see a price drop for the current model and a new A6 model? That would probably help them keep sales momentum even without Retina this time around.

    But who knows Apple may surprise.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seems a bit odd that we'd get a non retina mini this fall and then a retina version next spring. Unless Apple is now moving to 6 month product cycles? IF Apple can't produce a retina mini this year they're going to have to do something to keep people buying as rumors are the new Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire's are going to have even better screens. Not sure Apple can go two years with the mini being more expensive and having an inferior display. I don't really see the form factor changing so will even thinner and lighter be enough?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post





    Again, you prove to be the worst poster on this entire site. Your contributions are atrocious and nothing but bait.


     


    My post was a simple, honest opinion based on my experience with the products and my preferences.  


     


    Your post was an off topic, personal attack empty of all other content.  


     


    So who's the worst poster?  Should I report you for the personal attack?  

  • Reply 11 of 31
    Uh huh, I see the plot: make a thinner, lighter iPad min and when you do have a Retina one, it will (necessarily) be thicker but only as much as the first gen iPad mini so the weight gain will be minimal. You read it here first! Remember this post! REMEMBER!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member


    I never really understood this bezel thing. Get rid of the bezel and ignore the touch commands through the software.

  • Reply 13 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Agreed. Not sure the benefit of slimmer and lighter right now for the Mini.

    Maybe we'll see a price drop for the current model and a new A6 model? That would probably help them keep sales momentum even without Retina this time around.

    But who knows Apple may surprise.
    Someone on 9to5Mac posted that even if Apple has a retina mini ready to go they won't release it along side a redesigned 5th gen iPad, claiming it would be stupid from a business standpoint to do so. But if Apple is able to produce a thinner and lighter full size iPad would a retina mini really cannibalize the full size iPad that much? And even if it did, wouldn't Apple rather have cannibalization than consumers going elsewhere?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post


    I never really understood this bezel thing. Get rid of the bezel and ignore the touch commands through the software.



     


    Well you need some bezel if only for the home button and the camera and so forth.  I think the bezel could easily be shrunk by about half all round though.  


     


    My understanding is that the bezel size has to do with Apple "training" users in the new technology.  For instance if the iPad had debuted with what will soon be the new standard of narrow side bezels, a lot of folks would fumble with it and endless news reports would have been written about this "hard to use" new touch technology and how frustrating it was for users.  Whereas now, a few years later, everyone is already trained on how to use it and they can slowly reduce the bezel in size.  


     


    I think we will see it get even smaller over time, but I don't think it's possible to get rid of it entirely. 


     


    This will likely never happen, but my personal ideal bezel size would be like the current mini, but with a 50-60% reduction on the side bezel width, the same on the top, and a 80-100% *increase* on the bottom bezel.   I don't think they will ever go asymmetrical like that given the whole "rotate the device" thing though.  image

  • Reply 15 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Someone on 9to5Mac posted that even if Apple has a retina mini ready to go they won't release it along side a redesigned 5th gen iPad, claiming it would be stupid from a business standpoint to do so. But if Apple is able to produce a thinner and lighter full size iPad would a retina mini really cannibalize the full size iPad that much? And even if it did, wouldn't Apple rather have cannibalization than consumers going elsewhere?

    Where else are they going to go?

    People are not buying the iPad because it does/does not have a Retina display.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Someone on 9to5Mac posted that even if Apple has a retina mini ready to go they won't release it along side a redesigned 5th gen iPad, claiming it would be stupid from a business standpoint to do so. But if Apple is able to produce a thinner and lighter full size iPad would a retina mini really cannibalize the full size iPad that much? And even if it did, wouldn't Apple rather have cannibalization than consumers going elsewhere?


     


    Apple doesn't break out the figures, but I have read a lot of reports to the effect that it's believed the iPad mini already significantly cannibalises the regular size iPad even though the full size is retina and the mini currently is not.  I've even heard claims that the mini outsells the regular iPad already, although I don't know where they get the figures from. 

  • Reply 17 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    My post was a simple, honest opinion based on my experience with the products and my preferences.  

    Your post was an off topic, personal attack empty of all other content.  

    So who's the worst poster?  Should I report you for the personal attack?  

    You. You are the worst poster. You intentionally bait arguments by making either A) pointless statements that argue a nonsensical angle, i.e.: your masterpiece about Maps being useless because it is not all about people without cars, or B) you make statements like being 'fooled into buying Retina products, because they're a marginal difference at best'.

    That is what is called "Bait" in the forum world. It is not an opinion, it is a bunch of nonsense that is not even discussion worthy. But you tempt argument by posting it anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I want an iPad mini with retina. In fact, I want 2. If 2013 doesn't have the mini with retina, I will probably buy the iPad 5 and a Nexus 7 (HD) for my kids/school. Or maybe 3 Nexi 7 (hd). But I prefer iPad.
  • Reply 19 of 31

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    Fine by me.  I've been fooled into paying for retina once already.  It's a minor improvement at best.  



    I guess that depends on the person. Speaking for myself, I have pretty much given away or now leave unused ALL my non-retina Apple products -- including the iPad Mini.


     


    I simply can't stand the sight of the non-retina screens anymore.

  • Reply 20 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post





    You. You are the worst poster. You intentionally bait arguments by making either A) pointless statements that argue a nonsensical angle, i.e.: your masterpiece about Maps being useless because it is not all about people without cars, or B) you make statements like being 'fooled into buying Retina products, because they're a marginal difference at best'.



    That is what is called "Bait" in the forum world. It is not an opinion, it is a bunch of nonsense that is not even discussion worthy. But you tempt argument by posting it anyway.


     


    Nah, I think you win for "bad poster."  


     


    The maps argument I made isn't "nonsensical" it's perfectly rational to the *majority* of folks in the world that don't use or have cars.  The USA is "all about the car" but other countries are simply not.  World-wide, the majority of users are not going to necessarily have a car.  Again, it's my opinion, based on my situation and the product Apple is selling.  It's not some constructed thing that I make to "bait" people.  


     


    Similarly, having excellent eyesight and having owned and used every iOS product that ever existed (sans the original iPhone which wasn't available), on a daily basis, my opinion is that retina isn't good but not worth the giant hullaballoo that generally accompanies it.  


     


    For instance I use the iPad as my main computer, day in and day out, and I use it for real work.  (I'm currently writing three full-length novels and one non-fiction piece, each roughly 100,000 words in length, as well as using it to create, preview and proof artwork for the non-fiction piece as well as a series of other projects.)  I started these projects (because they are all multi-year projects) on the original iPad, and then moved to each new iPad in succession including the iPad 3 retina, and the iPad mini.  (thus my occasional rants about Pages for iOS and how it's impossible to do real artwork on the iPad)


     


    I've used the non-retina, moved to retina, and them moved back again when I started using the mini.  It's my considered informed opinion that the difference is no big deal.  


     


    In my day job, I work at a large Institution where we provision and deploy hundreds of iPads.  Besides setting them up, I demonstrate the software on them, give purchasing advice and troubleshoot networking and other software issues.  I sometimes even get involved in repair of iOS devices but that's generally handled by another department and I only look in on that for fun.  


     


    I think this more than qualifies me to give an opinion on the various attributes or aspects of the iOS device lineup.  Again, this is an informed opinion, but it's still my personal opinion.  How can that ever be wrong?  


     


    You're just assuming that because my opinion isn't mainstream, that I must be making it up or something, which is dumb to say the least.  


     


    You've been on my block list twice before and I let you off when you managed to say something intelligent and not hateful, but I guess I was wrong.  


     


    Back you go!  image

Sign In or Register to comment.