AT&T's offers new smartphone, tablet upgrade every 12 months with 'Next' plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T on Tuesday announced "AT&T Next," a comprehensive smartphone and tablet upgrade program that allows customers to purchase a new device every 12 months with no down payment, and no activation or upgrade fees.

AT&T Next

Following rumors of a smartphone upgrade program from Verizon, and on the heels of T-Mobile's "Jump" initiative, AT&T said it will launch its own hardware upgrade plan in "AT&T Next."

Starting July 26, customers can purchase a smartphone or tablet with no down payment, pay a monthly fee for 20 months as part of their wireless bill, and have the option trade in the device after one year to upgrade to a new hardware. Upon trading in their device, the installment cycle for that unit ends, and a new 20 months starts based on the price of the new smartphone or tablet.

Alternatively, customers can opt out of upgrading and pay out the full 20 months of fees, which vary from $15 to $50, depending on make and model.

?With AT&T Next, customers can get the newest smartphone or tablet every year with no down payment," said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility. "That?s hard to beat, and it?s an incredible value for customers who want the latest and greatest every year."

The cost of the handset is broken down into 20 parts, thus existing or new AT&T customers can purchase a 16GB iPhone 5 and pay $32.50 per month for 12 months and trade in the unit for a next-gen iPhone model, with no further fees required beyond voice and data charges. Those who opt to pay out the 20 months' worth of fees will be able to keep the device, and there is no charge for paying off the entire amount early.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Geez, ATT and Verizon took a page our of Samesung's book and flat out copied T-Mobile (only made it more expensive). Yawn.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    This will most likely keep me from switching. Smart move on their part.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If I'm reading this right they are basically splitting device and fees into separate lines, refiguring the device part based on 20 months not 24 and giving you the option at 12 months to pay off the rest via either cash or trading in your device.

Which doesn't really seem like that much better than the old system other than the separate line issue. Might even be worse if she service fees don't go down. Something like $19 of each month was to pay back the subsidy in your iPhone. Imagine if you are still paying that AND the $32.50 a month. That's around $600 in 'device' costs during that year plus you have to turn in your old iPhone. AT&T are so greedy I could see them doing that kind of move since that $19 has always been part of the voice costs

But how does that change things for those of us that bring our own device or pay full price from the top so our phone is unlocked (cause I work internationally), do we get a break on our bill or are we still paying at the rates that include device payoff as part of the service fees

And do we have to buy at AT&T for this.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Actually renting the phone, thats what it comes down to. And if you break the phone or lose it your screwed. No big advantage other than breaking down the payments.

• Reply 5 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    charlituna wrote: »
    But how does that change things for those of us that bring our own device or pay full price from the top so our phone is unlocked (cause I work internationally), do we get a break on our bill or are we still paying at the rates that include device payoff as part of the service fees
    AT&T does not (currently) give a break on service price now, even if you bring your own phone.
    I added an iPhone 3GS in Oct for my daughter and they even tried to tell me it was a 2 year commitment!
  • Reply 6 of 33
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

The early upgrade fee for me to go from the iPhone 4S to the 5 was an extra $250.

So they're offering me a free phone for an extra $32.50/mo over 20 months.

That's $650 after 20 months or $390 after 12 months (assuming I upgrade ASAP).

Take away $200 for the phone and that makes my early upgrade fee just $190.

Win, right?

Well, not if Apple takes too long to release the next iPhone...

If they take 1 year and 2 months (Nov 2013) then my effective upgrade fee is $255.

What if Apple takes a year and a half?

Then it's suddenly $385!

What if I'm not an obsessed Apple addict and just forget that I can upgrade every year?

That's clearly the scenario they're counting on and it's likely the majority.

So I have to admit, there is a chance to save some cash on this deal.

But it counts on assuming that Apple will release their phones like clockwork.

I'm a manufacturing engineer.

Deadlines are hard; sh!t happens.

On top of that, we're talking about saving money on an entirely extravagant expense.

Nobody needs a new phone every year when Apple's phones are as good as they are.

• Reply 7 of 33
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Whoa, hold up.

I just caught this: you have to trade in the old device?!

Nevermind.

This is unbelievably ridiculous.

Please, nobody do this.

Tell your friends.

This is terrible.

Atrocious.

They should be ashamed.

People working there should cry themselves to sleep if they cannot bring themselves to quit within TOMORROW.

• Reply 8 of 33
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    So at the rate they charge, you're paying 719 dollars over 20 months for a phone that retails for 599? Yeah, no. Sorry AT&T, I'm just going to wait until you go back to the early upgrade offer for longtime customers you used to have as soon as you realize market saturation means lower sales year over year.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Are they going to lower service costs then? Because otherwise this is double dipping.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

This will most likely keep me from switching. Smart move on their part.

Think twice, because in reality you'll be paying the equivalent of $1,298 for an iPhone.

How...

Subsidized plan pricing + monthly phone payment plan.

AKA Double Dipping customers.

T-Mobile's Jump is much better.

• Reply 11 of 33
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Yeah, if the service plan cost doesn't go down, then AT&T is definitely double-dipping. And T-Mobile will probably call them out for it in their advertising. They've been in an "AT&T bashing" mood lately anyways. Just one more thing to beat them over the head with.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    If I'm reading this right they are basically splitting device and fees into separate lines, refiguring the device part based on 20 months not 24 and giving you the option at 12 months to pay off the rest via either cash or trading in your device.

Which doesn't really seem like that much better than the old system other than the separate line issue. Might even be worse if she service fees don't go down. Something like $19 of each month was to pay back the subsidy in your iPhone. Imagine if you are still paying that AND the $32.50 a month. That's around $600 in 'device' costs during that year plus you have to turn in your old iPhone. AT&T are so greedy I could see them doing that kind of move since that $19 has always been part of the voice costs

Breaking out the phone cost has a HUGE benefit. When you've paid off the phone, your monthly payment drops. As it is, you continue paying the subsidy fee even after you've completed your contract commitment. This is far better.

Yes, you're right that if they simply add on a new fee without reducing the base fee that it would be worse, but that's unlikely. AT&T is already the most expensive - if they suddenly added $20-50 per month to their charge, there would be a mass exodus.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

The early upgrade fee for me to go from the iPhone 4S to the 5 was an extra $250.

So they're offering me a free phone for an extra $32.50/mo over 20 months.

That's $650 after 20 months or $390 after 12 months (assuming I upgrade ASAP).

Take away $200 for the phone and that makes my early upgrade fee just $190.

Win, right?

...Nobody needs a new phone every year when Apple's phones are as good as they are.

Don't forget, with the new plan, you have to trade in your phone instead of keep it.  Factor that into your figures.

I need a new phone this year..the 3GS is slowing down...

• Reply 14 of 33
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    So you pay the subsidy, AND you pay full retail (or more) for the phone.

No wonder AT&T likes this deal.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Don't forget, with the new plan, you have to trade in your phone instead of keep it.  Factor that into your figures.

I need a new phone this year..the 3GS is slowing down...

I think it says that if you keep the payments through 20 months, the phone is yours to keep.  I also think you can keep it after 12 months if you choose to pay off the remaining 8 months owed.

• Reply 16 of 33
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I think it says that if you keep the payments through 20 months, the phone is yours to keep.  I also think you can keep it after 12 months if you choose to pay off the remaining 8 months owed.

I was only referencing his analogy.

• Reply 17 of 33
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I like the idea, but the price seemed geared toward someone who can't come up with the $200, and needs an overpriced monthly payment plan.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hey. Telecoms. At least make it LOOK like you imbeciles aren't paying people off...

And yet users here actually question me when I say this will happen. It's people like that who allow this collusion to happen the first place.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jkichline wrote: »
    Geez, ATT and Verizon took a page our of Samesung's book and flat out copied T-Mobile (only made it more expensive). Yawn.

From what I can tell, this is nothing like T-Mobile's offering. First, T-Mobile's service plans are a lot less expensive than AT&T. Second, T-Mobile has no contract on the service part. Third, the $10 extra month on T-Mobile's plan also covers damage and loss of device insurance. Fourth, T-Mobile allows you to trade in twice a year, not once.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Seems like the only people who will buy are either Samsung or apple fanatics, problem with Samsung is there releases are 9 or 6 mounts or so.