Google Maps for iOS adds iPad support, live traffic updates and indoor navigation

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,249member
    john.b wrote: »
    From Post #17:  "Great deals from your favorite brands with Google Offers".

They have to know where you are in the mall to spoonfeed you the ads they are selling to Finish Line and Great Clips as you walk through the mall.

Every navigation app has to know where you are... Google, Apple, TomTom, Navigon, Garmin etc.. Otherwise how could it point you in the right direction? It's common sense.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Every navigation app has to know where you are... Google, Apple, TomTom, Navigon, Garmin etc.. Otherwise how could it point you in the right direction? It's common sense.

No they don't, you can explore manually, with Google maps on iOS you start every time at Stonehenge.

I got a Galaxy S4 to play with, these card things keep popping up  telling me how far I am from "work" or "home", thing is I never told Google where "work" and "home" are.

At least Samsung doesn't even have my street on it's free Navigon software so presumably thinks I live in a large empty space.

• Reply 43 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,249member
    hill60 wrote: »
    No they don't, you can explore manually, with Google maps on iOS you start every time at Stonehenge.

I got a Galaxy S4 to play with, these card things keep popping up  telling me how far I am from "work" or "home", thing is I never told Google where "work" and "home" are.

At least Samsung doesn't even have my street on it's free Navigon software so presumably thinks I live in a large empty space.

Your talking about simply browsing a map. To navigate you from point A to B the app has to know where you are... Point A. Without location active the best you can do is trip planning, not navigation. Common sense sir.