Rumor: Apple ramps iOS device chip orders, in talks with LG over 4K displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No it isn't unless your internet provider just uses fiber as it's backbone. Our house has a straight fiber optic cable that runs directly from the junction box to a D-Link 3780 router.

No coaxial nonsense going on here.

They are converting it to Cat 5.  I was one of the first customers for FIber in the US.  They only rolled it out in two cities at first. They had a box outside of the house that converted it to coax for the TV and Cat 5 for my internet connection that actually ran inside the house.

Obviously, everyone does their own little variation upon the theme, but they don't run Fiber directly to the TV or computer.   They usually run several different services like internet, cable TV and voice but they just run fiber to the house and then it gets converted to other forms for TV, computer and voice.

They have to kick up the speeds to the house to be able to handle transmission of 4K video AND internet AND voice.  They need to implement a LOT of equipment along the food chain.  They have to get those expensive Cisco Routers which do hundreds of Tbps and they are NOT cheap.

How many are actually transmitting 1080p TV currently?  Obviously some countries have their act together more than others.

• Reply 22 of 46

Quote:

No it isn't unless your internet provider just uses fiber as it's backbone. Our house has a straight fiber optic cable that runs directly from the junction box to a D-Link 3780 router.

A lot of people STILL don't have FIber going to the house and they have to use a dish, which SUCKS.  A lot of remote areas in the US and other countries where it's too expensive to dig up the ground to run Fiber for just a few houses.

The cell carriers are kicking up the speeds because of smartphones and tablets.  Yeah 4G/LTE is supposed to do 100Mbps, but how many people actually see that speed consistently.  They are going to need LOTs of bandwidth for transmitting 4K video.  No other way around it.

I still think 4K video is more going to be distributed via physical media and then digital downloads, but watching it from your local TV station or Cable network?  Yeah right, that's years down the road.

I think TV is ultimately going to have to get transmitted over the internet as it's doing slowly but surely like what Hulu and others are doing, but you don't get the same experience with channel flipping as you do with cable or a dish system.  People like to channel surf.  It's what we live for.  :-)

• Reply 23 of 46
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Full Apple TV appliance is perhaps the most ludicrous idea that cone from anal-lysts. TV set is not PC and people expect to look at it as home appliance investment. However, to follow the development of digital living room and available functionality the would have to buy a new set every 2 years? Why not just buy a new Apple TV box every 2 years and separately big monitor every 4 or 5 or so...

I believe guys at Apple understand that very good and I see much more probability that they will just expand current Apple TV functionality (for one, I would like to have it together with wireless router or even complete Time Machine) and fill it up with load of content and sell it for few times more than today.

• Reply 24 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

No 4K content?

Hint: iTunes store.

Every single movie on film is 4K. Every single movie that have been scanned for digital market since early 2000 is scanned in 4K.

Delivery of 4K content is another thing. Most people don't have 100Mbit and even with H265 codec 4K movies will be 25-50 gig.

Yeah, they do 4K for movie theaters.  But for End Losers like ourselves, it's going to be a while.  BluRay first.  THere aren't enough people out there that can take advantage of 4K.  Yeah, like we're going to download 4K videos on iPads.  Hahahahahaha.  I don't think so.  Not for a while.

I think it will take a little while for 4K videos to hit iTunes, Netflix, etc. That's probably a few years from now.

• Reply 25 of 46

Quote:

What gets hooked up to your TV?  What kind of cable?  Cat 5?  What's your ISP giving you in terms of bandwidth?  10 Mpbs, 20Mbps, 30, 50?  

• Reply 26 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

No 4K content?

Hint: iTunes store.

Every single movie on film is 4K. Every single movie that have been scanned for digital market since early 2000 is scanned in 4K.

Delivery of 4K content is another thing. Most people don't have 100Mbit and even with H265 codec 4K movies will be 25-50 gig.

Most people that have 4K are doing it in a home theater.  You know with a REAL surround sound that does HD Master/True HD audio.  They will have a BluRay player.  And currently they just upscale 1080p content to 4K which is OK, but it's not that great.  Sony is going START releasing 4K titles next year on BluRay discs for those people that have a pretty serious system to run it on.

55 inch 4K TVs are at least $5000 for a cheap model, and go up from there, but a lot are just putting in video projection systems instead projecting on a nice 8 foot or larger screen.  A 55 inch TV is small for a real home theater.  Home Theaters that people put in their homes want 70, 80 or even 100 inch and those are still small compared to a video projection system, which is what makes sense for 4K video in the home because they want as close to film quality as they can get.

4K for the average Joe Blow is going to take probably 10 years before they get serious traction.

Most people don't have 1080p TVs, the percentages are going up as time goes along, but 4K is STILL a ways off.

Most local TV stations don't have the bucks to dump in 4K cameras for your local news.  We're lucky if they do 1080p.

• Reply 27 of 46
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You really need to read it on a regular basis to grasp the publication. Often what is quoted as fact by The rumor mills in the USA is not how it is presented at DigiTimes.

Possibly.  But I have been reading this site for long enough, and seen enough stories from DigiTimes that I don't buy a thing they say.  Now, again, it's possible that they are being misrepresented.  I don't know.  But almost every "rumor" I see from DigiTimes ends up not being even close to true.

• Reply 28 of 46
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    4K screens will be for the new Mac Pro, not for consumer A/V purposes at this stage.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pinolo wrote: »
    Except the article says 55 to 65 inches. So, unfortunately, no 30" 4K cinema display...

From digitimes.

It could have been a picture with a toilet and a turd and it'd have the same validity of this article.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
    What gets hooked up to your TV?  What kind of cable?  Cat 5?  What's your ISP giving you in terms of bandwidth?  10 Mpbs, 20Mbps, 30, 50?  

I have a 100Mbs line, TV, Internet, and telephone all come threw on one single fiber optic line. I have Cat 5 cable running inside the wall's with sockets in every room but I also run fiber to the server and my workstation directly from the router and of course WLAN. The TV has a HD set box from Swisscom, Cat 5 connection. We haven't had cable TV for almost 8 years now.

http://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/internet/internet-at-home/fibre-optics.html

• Reply 31 of 46
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Not even close.

Heck, "Black Swan" was shot on 16mm.  

Film becomes whatever resolution you scan it at.

• Reply 32 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Two rumors regarding Apple's supply chain activities surfaced on Wednesday, one claiming the company has recently stepped up IC orders, while another has the company in talks with LG over "Ultra HDTV" screens. .

So, on one hand, Apple's business is booming. On the other hand, it's in the tank.

Why not just say "we don't have any flipping idea" and leave it at that?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Hasn't every movie shot in the last few years been 4K? Doesn't Apple have the largest online movie store?

I wonder how many gigs would a 4k movie be.

• Reply 34 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I still think 4K video is more going to be distributed via physical media and then digital downloads, but watching it from your local TV station or Cable network?  Yeah right, that's years down the road.

Indeed. Cable and OTA signals are still using 1080i, they are not even at 1080p yet.  4k is not going to happen anytime soon. 

• Reply 35 of 46
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

55 inch 4K TVs are at least $5000 for a cheap model, and go up from there...

Just a clarification, I would hardly call Sony's XBR-55X900A a "cheap model". It happens to be their top-of-the-line 55" set. But yes, the $5k price is spot on.

• Reply 36 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I wonder how many gigs would a 4k movie be.

Well, if this is any indication...

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666556068#specifications

It comes preloaded with 10 movies with room for more (presumably). Wonder what the specs will be for the 4k streaming network.

• Reply 37 of 46
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This article peaked my interest until the word 'Digitimes' was mentioned, they are and always will be naff!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palex19 View Post

No content yet for 4K screen.

However it can be the new Thunderbolt Display. You would need it for your new mac pro in fall. So you can keep your desk "Apple Only".

There is 4K content - many movies have been shot and many mastered in 4K.   Sony sells a media player loaded with a few of their movies in 4K for consumers of their 4K TVs.  Many of the movies truly suck, but they are 4K.  They also have a different unit, with many more 4K movies, that they give to consumers of their $25,000 4K 84" TV.  

The black FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player from Sony comes preloaded with feature films and video shorts in 4K Ultra HD resolution, allowing you to watch content in the highest definition available for home viewing. The unit is compatible only with the Sony 55X900A and 65X900A 4K Ultra HD TVs, which offer four times the resolution of standard HDTVs. Preloaded content includes The Amazing Spider-Man; Bad Teacher, featuring Cameron Diaz; The Karate Kid, featuring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith; The Other Guys, featuring Will Farrell; Battle: Los Angeles; That's My Boy, featuring Adam Sandler; Salt, featuring Angelina Jolie; Total Recall 2012, featuring Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale; Taxi Driver; and The Bridge on the River Kwai. You'll also have access to the upcoming Sony 4K network video service which will host a library of 4K movies and TV shows (an Ethernet connection will be required and fees may apply).

• Reply 39 of 46
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, if this is any indication...

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666556068#specifications

It comes preloaded with 10 movies with room for more (presumably). Wonder what the specs will be for the 4k streaming network.

Not worth the $700 as those movies (some are junk) are "Compatible only with Sony 55" and 65" 4K UHD TVs.

• Reply 40 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Not worth the $700 as those movies (some are junk) are "Compatible only with Sony 55" and 65" 4K UHD TVs.

Totally agree with you that it's not worth the $700 asking price and as for it only being compatible with those two Sony TVs, well yeah, of course. What else would you use it with?