Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The so-called "lite" model will be the new iPhone. The other model will be the iPhone Pro.

omg dont say that,  you risk killing a few fanbois here. imo the high end phone will still used a superior shell, not a plastic one.   Unless those color shells are made with a new state of the art material and not regular plastic, I dont think the high end phone will use them. 

• Reply 22 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

This is hideous design not like Apple at all. I really hope they produce a decent cheaper iPhone. The back of my iPod Touch 5th Generation is beautiful. Why not including something similar? Also I hope they will introduce an iPhone with a 4.8-5 inch screen.

Its hard to judge the quality of those shells on a fussy pic especially since those also looks to have a protective thin plastic layer.

• Reply 23 of 106

I find this interesting because its the first leaks of possible internals for the iphone lites.  After so many different leaks, you guys better start getting used to those shells, looks legitimate to me.

BTW those CPU names could just be code names for tweaked A5 and A6 CPU's. Make senses they will be made by Samsung, they are already making them.

I find it interesting Apple is keeping 1gb across all price point. The must feel they need to this to insure iOS upgrades for the next 2 years. What I am expecting for a low cost iphone, is it still will be able to support the next iOS upgrades and that all parts will be balance for a consistent user experience. This is why I think Apple could price them a little above the average prices of the a segment.

• Reply 24 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Huh? Only older models were found to infringe, not any of the newer models. And that's only in the US. These phones are more for the international markets where more and more people choose pre-pay plans.

yes, but.  putting these out as the .99 cent phones (to replace the 4s)  for the US carriers makes sense for

1) getting to a common connector

2) flushing an old technology baseline out of the queue  faster (iOS7 is probably most limited by iPhone 4 and 4s)

better graphics to handle the more complex paralax work

better wifi and LTE support

better CPU (but not samsung crap... a real CPU)

3) eliminating a form factor (the 4/4s geometry) which in the end will allow a new iphone geometry [5"?] in the future.

Having a phone in hand to deal with the US restrictions makes good business sense.  having it be a world phone makes good financial sense.

• Reply 25 of 106
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Is it just me, or do other Apple fans have money burning a hole in their pocket? Seems like I have been waiting much longer to spend than ever before. I have an expired contract in my family plan begging for the next gen iPhone. My arm is tired of the weight of my iPad 3 and I want a Mini, but not the outgoing gen. My iMac is long overdue for replacement but since I'll keep it as long as the last one I don't want the last rev of a three year-old design. When I get these I'll be ready to take advantage of the new spec AirPort base station, probably even getting the one with Time Machine built in to save on desk top clutter. And my AppleTV is ready for whatever is next in that realm.

In short, I am a one-man tidal wave of personal spending just waiting to break. Come on, already!
  • Reply 26 of 106
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Yes the details and facts in this article are very dubious. But I think it is highly likely that Apple will offer a more affordable iPhone. The normal iPhone will likely have 2GB ram and more storage and other advantages like a faster CPU/GPU. Apple knows they need a mid range phone to expand and there is still plenty of room for a nice fat margin. I expect it to cost around $450 off contract with no subsidies. 

• Reply 27 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Can't really see iPhone like that. Those stupid colors and a black Apple logo.  

Can we hold you to that?
  • Reply 28 of 106
    cpsro wrote: »
    The so-called "lite" model will be the new iPhone. The other model will be the iPhone Pro.

No.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    While parts of this rumor look feasible others are questionable
    Production has most likely started as time is running short. As for the 1GB of RAMM this is also a reasonable deduction as this low end IPhone still has to have reasonable functionality
  • Reply 30 of 106
    montefuego wrote: »
    The older models that infringe include the iPhone 4 and 4S, which even in the U.S. may represent half of Apple's sales. They need a replacement by Aug 5, or risk catastrophic loss of sales.

Why not say it a third time?
  • Reply 31 of 106
    am8449 wrote: »
    Those code names sound ridiculous. Sounds like something Samesung would come up with. But for Apple? No way.
    m

Code names are soooooo important after all?
  • Reply 32 of 106

Quote:

"I think these docs are real," this person said after examining them. "The terms make sense, what we can see here makes sense."

Just because something makes sense, doesn't make it SO.

• Reply 33 of 106
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

The older models are the iphone 4 and 4S, which are half the phones that Apple is currently selling in the U.S. Losing the ability to sell these phones either here or internationallly is a catastrophe. They need a substitute by Aug 5.

Of devices currently being sold, it only affects the AT&T 4S.

Not really a catastrophe.

• Reply 34 of 106
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why not say it a third time?

Especially when they were wrong about which models were being banned both times they made their post.

• Reply 35 of 106

Apple would not call a LED light a "Strobe".  That is a very different type of light and much better for photos, but not useful for video.

• Reply 36 of 106
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

No, of the current devices being sold it only affects the AT&T 4. The ban was on the AT&T 3GS and 4.

• Reply 37 of 106
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
  • Reply 38 of 106
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

The older models that infringe include the iPhone 4 and 4S, which even in the U.S. may represent half of Apple's sales. They need a replacement by Aug 5, or risk catastrophic loss of sales.

The August 5 date I'm sure has to do with importation.  On the models to which the ruling applies, that's likely the last day they can bring more production into the USA but not when they have to stop selling those models.

• Reply 39 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

There are so many red flags with this article that it is not even funny. There is little-to-no evidence the iPhone Lite even exists aside from photos of a highly suspect case. I will chock the iPhone Lite into the same category as the fabled iPhone Mini.

I agree, but with the caveat that at various times, both the iPhone mini, and now the "iPhone cheapo" (lite) have made some kind of sense.  For that reason I wouldn't categorically rule either of them out.  

the main argument for the existence of the cheaper iPhone for example is the fact that the upper end of the market is growing saturated, and the fact that there are valid reasons to go for market share at this exact point in time, even though Apple traditionally doesn't chase market share.  Those are factually based reasons why Apple might come out with such a device, but Apple historically has a blind spot in exactly those areas and I'll believe it only when I see it.  

I would agree that there is somewhere between scant, and no evidence at all yet that they are actually doing it.  

• Reply 40 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Also all the 4's are due to be retired in a few months anyway.