Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

This is hideous design not like Apple at all. I really hope they produce a decent cheaper iPhone. The back of my iPod Touch 5th Generation is beautiful. Why not including something similar? Also I hope they will introduce an iPhone with a 4.8-5 inch screen.

I'm not sure these are real at all but I disagree on the aesthetics.  I think they look kind of nice.

They are bright and colourful but yet without the jarring primary colours Nokia uses.  I also think that when it comes to colours, the plastic gives a better result than the anodised aluminium the iPod touch uses. 

• Reply 42 of 106
    I don't see why people are so skeptical of the colors. They match iOS7's color scheme.. it seems to make a lot of sense imo.

Personally, I think the colors look great as well. I'll be sticking to a high end model, but I think people are going to be excited to buy the mid-range model in one of the bright new colors.
  • Reply 43 of 106
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Just the use of Italian coachbuilder/car design company code names seems a bit odd! And a non-Apple off the shelf SAMSUNG! SoC at its heart - don't like the sound of that!

Also the black lettering on these so-called phone backs looks cheap and nasty, it should be silver like it was on the plastic iPhone 3G/3Gs. As for the bright colours, not so sure what I think of those yet...

Is Apple really going to have to be this radical to keep the price of a new mid-tier iPhone down? It can't be that expensive for them to produce a smartphone. Just seems like too many un-Apple like compromises need to be made, if there is any truth to all this strangeness! 

• Reply 44 of 106
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Why not iPhone Air?

I love this. It emphasizes one if the best parts about the i5. It's crazy thin and light.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Also, something interesting to note, I walked in to Urban Outfitters yesterday and all the colors of the clothes and the merch displays were the proposed iphone colors (not this photo, I've seen a higher quality photo in another post that had less intense colors). They've got their finger on the pulse of the youth market, which makes sense for the lower cost phone. Also I'm speculating, but these pastel bright colors may be an advantage in China.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    hudson1 wrote: »
    montefuego wrote: »
    The older models that infringe include the iPhone 4 and 4S, which even in the U.S. may represent half of Apple's sales. They need a replacement by Aug 5, or risk catastrophic loss of sales.
    The August 5 date I'm sure has to do with importation.  On the models to which the ruling applies, that's likely the last day they can bring more production into the USA but not when they have to stop selling those models.

I'm pretty sure they have to pull stock as well. The news sites only say import ban because they are mostly pretty lazy. If it even happens, we will see a timely launch of a replacement. Worst case they push the 4S down temporarily to get rid of the stock and then kill it whenever they were planning to do so anyway.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I am curious how the names will change if they make a more affordable and possibly a larger screen iPhone as well by next year while keeping the current model. They will all be called iPhone but the new ones will probably have an extra part in their name. Maybe the larger one will be called iPhone Pro or iPhone+. The more affordable one will be tougher to name since it will likely have a 4" display just like current iPhone. 

• Reply 48 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hudson1 wrote: »
    The August 5 date I'm sure has to do with importation.  On the models to which the ruling applies, that's likely the last day they can bring more production into the USA but not when they have to stop selling those models.

If nothing changes between now and the 6th then even existing domestic inventory is supposed to be pulled from sale in addition to all new imports being blocked. The iPhone 4 won't be available for purchase in the US at either AT&T or TMobile. The iPad2 would also be banned and existing stock pulled from sale.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I'm pretty sure they have to pull stock as well. The news sites only say import ban because they are mostly pretty lazy. If it even happens, we will see a timely launch of a replacement. Worst case they push the 4S down temporarily to get rid of the stock and then kill it whenever they were planning to do so anyway.

For the 3rd time, the 4S was not part of the ban. It was the 3GS and 4. And the only models affected were AT&T's.

• Reply 50 of 106
    gazoobee wrote: »
    negafox wrote: »
    There are so many red flags with this article that it is not even funny. There is little-to-no evidence the iPhone Lite even exists aside from photos of a highly suspect case. I will chock the iPhone Lite into the same category as the fabled iPhone Mini.

I agree, but with the caveat that at various times, both the iPhone mini, and now the "iPhone cheapo" (lite) have made some kind of sense.  For that reason I wouldn't categorically rule either of them out.  

the main argument for the existence of the cheaper iPhone for example is the fact that the upper end of the market is growing saturated, and the fact that there are valid reasons to go for market share at this exact point in time, even though Apple traditionally doesn't chase market share.  Those are factually based reasons why Apple might come out with such a device, but Apple historically has a blind spot in exactly those areas and I'll believe it only when I see it.  

I would agree that there is somewhere between scant, and no evidence at all yet that they are actually doing it.  

Apple will move for market share as it has in the past when the market matures and starts to saturate on the high end. They did it in MP3 players fur sure and to a lesser extent in tablets with the mini. In MP3 it was easier to build kick ass players with reduced feature sets and form factors. They have been waiting for the right time for phones since they cannot remove too many features and still have something that works with the ecosystem well (iOS7, iPhone 5/iPod touch display size, full apps, lightning connector, and iOS upgrades to come). This "lite" version is going to help drive down component costs across all models (5, touch, 5S, Lite). They will probably also take a small margin hit on the lite as well as relax other carrier restrictions. This will be really good and we will see an explosion in the ecosystem via iCloud and AppStore. I'm genuinely excited about the prospects.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I'm not crazy about a plastic iPhone but I don't mind those colors. Personally I think a silver/gray logo would look ugly.  I wouldn't be surprised if the front of the phone will be black as its probably cheaper to produce.  So then it makes sense for the logo to be black.

• Reply 52 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not crazy about a plastic iPhone but I don't mind those colors. Personally I think a silver/gray logo would look ugly.  I wouldn't be surprised if the front of the phone will be black as its probably cheaper to produce.  So then it makes sense for the logo to be black.

I think the vast majority of people use a case so it really doesn't matter a great deal what it looks like or what it is made of at the end of the day since it will likely be in a case. 

• Reply 53 of 106
    mikejones wrote: »
    For the 3rd time, the 4S was not part of the ban. It was the 3GS and 4. And the only models affected were AT&T's.

Didn't say it was. I'm talking about pushing the 4S down market as they would do without a so called lite. No where did I say the 4S was banned. I am explaining what to do to replace the 4 if the ban happens. I believe they will kill the 4S with the lite this year instead of leaving around until next year. Worst case the ban causes the 4S to be lowered in price until the lite is ready. No FUD here.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I find it very believable that Apple would bring brightly colored smartphones to the masses.  To those claiming that Apple wouldn't do that, I have a picture for you.

• Reply 55 of 106
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

omg dont say that,  you risk killing a few fanbois here. imo the high end phone will still used a superior shell, not a plastic one.   Unless those color shells are made with a new state of the art material and not regular plastic, I dont think the high end phone will use them. 

Andy Inahtko (sp?) was recently talking on MacBreak Weekly about how in his testing experience (though he noted it's just his sample, so not "a study"), that he feels there's something about the aluminum shell transmitting force which makes screen breakage more common in a fall - whether on the face or back - compared to more resilient materials.  So I'd be happy with, say, carbon fiber or (if it's also more giving as I believe) liquid metal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I find this interesting because its the first leaks of possible internals for the iphone lites.  After so many different leaks, you guys better start getting used to those shells, looks legitimate to me.

BTW those CPU names could just be code names for tweaked A5 and A6 CPU's. Make senses they will be made by Samsung, they are already making them.

I find it interesting Apple is keeping 1gb across all price point. The must feel they need to this to insure iOS upgrades for the next 2 years. What I am expecting for a low cost iphone, is it still will be able to support the next iOS upgrades and that all parts will be balance for a consistent user experience. This is why I think Apple could price them a little above the average prices of the a segment.

I believe iOS is optimized for Apple's own ARM special sauce chips (fabbed as you noted by Samsung) so that makes more sense.....  ....but I'm hoping (as the poster below) for 2GB in the top end model(s).....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yes the details and facts in this article are very dubious. But I think it is highly likely that Apple will offer a more affordable iPhone. The normal iPhone will likely have 2GB ram and more storage and other advantages like a faster CPU/GPU. Apple knows they need a mid range phone to expand and there is still plenty of room for a nice fat margin. I expect it to cost around $450 off contract with no subsidies. 

Oh, 2 GB and a 4.5" model to complete what would be a four model line....  ....or whatever screen size keeps the res around 290-300 ppi if they want to be superkind to developers.....

• Reply 56 of 106
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

No, of the current devices being sold it only affects the AT&T 4. The ban was on the AT&T 3GS and 4.

Gah, I meant to write "AT&T 4's" as in plural. 

• Reply 57 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Oh, 2 GB and a 4.5" model to complete what would be a four model line....  ....or whatever screen size keeps the res around 290-300 ppi if they want to be superkind to developers.....

If they only go with 2 lines as you suggest and keep the 4" as their cheaper model I doubt they would only release a 4.5" version. I would expect it to be between 4.7" and 5". That is just not a big enough change from 4" in my opinion. It wouldn't satisfy people that want a larger iPhone and it would make people that think 4" is already big enough angry as well.  I think they would need 2 pro versions one at 4" like now and another at about 4.8" along with a cheaper 4". That would cover all their bases from free on contract all the way to around $900 off contract for the most expensive model with a choice at every $100 level along the way depending if you get a subsidy or not.

• Reply 58 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why not iPhone Air?

For the "cheap" one? I think that'd be fantastic.

Better than the iPhone plebian.

• Reply 59 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If nothing changes between now and the 6th then even existing domestic inventory is supposed to be pulled from sale in addition to all new imports being blocked. The iPhone 4 won't be available for purchase in the US at either AT&T or TMobile. The iPad2 would also be banned and existing stock pulled from sale.

Wouldn't it just be the cellular iPad 2?

Also, source regarding T-Mobile?

• Reply 60 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am curious how the names will change if they make a more affordable and possibly a larger screen iPhone as well by next year while keeping the current model. They will all be called iPhone but the new ones will probably have an extra part in their name. Maybe the larger one will be called iPhone Pro or iPhone+. The more affordable one will be tougher to name since it will likely have a 4" display just like current iPhone. 

I like iPhone Air for the affordable model, as Suddenly Newton wrote.