Apple says its developer site was hacked, but that sensitive data was encrypted

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    applezilla wrote: »
    If we would cut all Internet lines to China, the digital world would be a much better place.
    Yep, sad part is they can make new ones and stop making yours.
    cintos wrote: »
    And South Korea. Perhaps some cell phone manufacturer trying to get a jump on the next big thing no that their inside data faucet has been turned off.
    Well North Korea is the problem, if North Korea invades Yes.

Horrible to find all the major things get web hacks now. I watched on TV the other night that Internet terasem in some movies in very possible causing all the digital companies to crumble.

Apples has been known most secure for a while, and could have had nothing harmed here. Hopefully that is the case and this reset is to close the access point attacked.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    No.

Please don't make up stuff if you don't understand something.
    You're the one who doesn't understand the point of my post. Which is that the usual trolls will see the word "hacked" and assume the worst possible scenario happened. Which is exactly the way they treat all issues related to Apple - as black and white.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You're the one who doesn't understand the point of my post. Which is that the usual trolls will see the word "hacked" and assume the worst possible scenario happened. Which is exactly the way they treat all issues related to Apple - as black and white.

The point of your post is to defend Apple regardless of the issue. There isn't much else to understand. But Apple is not your infant child. It doesn't need your defence. It doesn't need you to distort technical issues or fabricate facts to stand up for it. 

If anything, you're being a troll by posting what you do, because your flawed, false and fabricate arguments simply invite rebuttals.

• Reply 44 of 107
    Good article.. Concise and on point!

Interesting, that the next Delevoper Previews for iOS and OSX were expected to drop tomorrow.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you miss the part where Apple wasn't actually hacked?

I must have missed the part where Apple just invited the intruder in.  A lot of people have the silly notion he broke into the servers.   Thanks for clearing that up.

• Reply 46 of 107
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Similarly, it cannot be said that because you got a password reset e-mail that you were specifically affected.

Nor can YOU say they were not.  

You are almost always the first with your virulent brand of mindlessly sycophantic Apple rants about other members here, but you conveniently sweep under the rug that your own logic is as flawed as the people you are attacking.

Every developer, including me, has gotten an email from Apple which specifically states that A) "An intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers..." and B) "we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers' names, mailing addresses, and / or email addresses may have been accessed".

So for the logic impaired, let me make that more clear:

1) The term "intruder" means that there was in fact a successful incursion.  Someone doesn't become an intruder until they actually get on the inside.

2) It would be impossible for an 'intruder' to 'possibly' have obtained names, email addresses, and / or physical addresses from Apple's servers without having successfully 'hacked' their systems an 'intruded'.  Apple would not acknowledge the possibility of data theft if there had been no successful breach.

Give the ridiculous, pompous Apple protectionism a break.

• Reply 47 of 107
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I wish Mr. Cook would double down on security rather than secrecy.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    I don't mind giving them my email !! Come on , email me out and have a drink !
  • Reply 49 of 107
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Nor can YOU say they were not.  

You are almost always the first with your virulent brand of mindlessly sycophantic Apple rants about other members here, but you conveniently sweep under the rug that your own logic is as flawed as the people you are attacking.

Every developer, including me, has gotten an email from Apple which specifically states that A) "An intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers..." and B) "we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers' names, mailing addresses, and / or email addresses may have been accessed".

So for the logic impaired, let me make that more clear:

1) The term "intruder" means that there was in fact a successful incursion.  Someone doesn't become an intruder until they actually get on the inside.

2) It would be impossible for an 'intruder' to 'possibly' have obtained names, email addresses, and / or physical addresses from Apple's servers without having successfully 'hacked' their systems an 'intruded'.  Apple would not acknowledge the possibility of data theft if there had been no successful breach.

Give the ridiculous, pompous Apple protectionism a break.

Far be it from me to defend Tallest Skil, but your logic is completely flawed here.  You arguing against something that he didn't actually argue/say himself.  

• Reply 50 of 107
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Apparently, the "intruder" was a "security researcher".

Why would you post this?  It's an advertisement for the hacker/security researcher.

Also, no "security researcher" who is doing his job properly or honourably would have posted such a video or not told Apple what he did.  

Whoever this guy is he's a complete asshole and not worthy of the title (if this claim is true.)

• Reply 51 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Far be it from me to defend Tallest Skil, but your logic is completely flawed here.  You arguing against something that he didn't actually argue/say himself.  

Although you're an expert on flawed (and fabricated) logic, tt92816's logic is far more completely flawed in this instance.

Quote:

Why would you post this?  It's an advertisement for the hacker/security researcher.

Also, no "security researcher" who is doing his job properly or honourably would have posted such a video or not told Apple what he did.  

Whoever this guy is he's a complete asshole and not worthy of the title (if this claim is true.)

Congratulations. By including the video in your response, you have doubled down on the "advertisement". Thanks to you, the video is now on more than one page. If you believe in what you wrote, then do the right thing and remove the video from your post (you do know you don't have to embed it, right?).

• Reply 52 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

I don't mind giving them my email !! Come on , email me out and have a drink !

The appointment is already in your iPhone calendar.

• Reply 53 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So.. No iOS beta 4 this Monday!

It's good thing that Apple was honest about this.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, why don't you apply for the job?

If I were a senior guy at Amazon or some other awesome Web property, I might well give Apple a call and offer my services.  But I'm not.  That doesn't mean I'm not qualified to evaluate their hodgepodge of developer Web tools and call them lacking (especially after they have been completely down for 5 DAYS now).  The Apple Web site is pretty darn nice.  The itunesconnect.apple.com by comparison sucks.  And the itunesconnect iPhone app is amateurish.  It's obvious that they don't assign any of their top people to these projects.  That's not surprising, but they need to bite the bullet and though some money at this problem.  The money they (allegedly/reportedly) paid to license to Swiss railroad clock face for the iPad clock app would be enough to solve these problems.  Frankly I would be very surprised if Cook hasn't already told someone "just fix it; invest whatever it takes to give our developers a world-class secure site."  And someone else is mumbling "I told you we needed to modernize our kludgy amalgam of developer tools..."

• Reply 55 of 107
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Did you miss the part where they were? If they weren't hacked, Apple would not have taken down the site. Apple said they cannot rule out that people's information had been taken, and lo and behold, lots of people are reporting password reset attempts which implies they at least got a hold of the username database. Point is, we get lots of apologetics here explaining away Apple fuckups, people look the other way, while other companies are raked over the coals. You can bet if a similar thing had happened to developers.google.com or developers.android.com, the same people looking to hand-wave away the issue or give the benefit of the doubt would be raising pitchforks.

Frankly, the reason the site is still down is because they don't know the degree to which they were penetrated. Hackers could have left more backdoors and exploits around in their network. Obviously, they are conducting an investigation, and don't want to put the site back up while they do it.

That's BS. It's opposite: whatever goes wrong at Apple, the bells of Notre Dame are ringing....

The catch is there was too much talk about Android swiss cheese, so "somebody" had to make point there are holes in Apple as well and picked up the weakest point: developer's site.

• Reply 56 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

The Apple Web site is pretty darn nice.  

I respectfully disagree. As has been observed here by others (and myself), the company that ships the largest number of mobile devices and the second most popular mobile OS should have a responsive website. Instead, most pages are the same regardless of device and therefore require zooming in by pinching. That's just not contemporary responsive web design.

• Reply 57 of 107
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

I disagree.  He responded to multiple posts about the breach by arguing that there was no hack and no breach at all, based solely on the use of the term 'attempted' in a paragraph that clearly indicates there was an intrusion and that there may actually have been data theft.  While he may not have done this in the specific post I quoted, he did in fact do it multiple times in this thread - feel free to read it and discover the fact for yourself.

It is obvious that Apple got hacked.  The perpetrator did get in, and that's why they specifically state there was an intruder instead of saying there was an intrusion attempt.  It's also why they say that they cannot rule out the possibility of data theft.  Neither condition could be valid if there was no actual intrusion.

Trying to take something like that and argue that there was no hack because they used the term 'attempted' at some point in the paragraph is ridiculous, and that's what he did.

How is it, exactly, that my logic was 'flawed'?  Please elaborate, because I'm not seeing it.

• Reply 58 of 107
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Although you're an expert on flawed (and fabricated) logic, tt92816's logic is far more completely flawed in this instance.

Congratulations. By including the video in your response, you have doubled down on the "advertisement". Thanks to you, the video is now on more than one page. If you believe in what you wrote, then do the right thing and remove the video from your post (you do know you don't have to embed it, right?).

I removed the video from my post, it's his turn now. :)

• Reply 59 of 107
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

That's right my little Android fanboys,

Jump up and down and point your finger at the merest possibility that an individual has gained access to information that each of you gives up freely every day - kind of like when you joined AppleInsider to troll.

I'll gladly take my name and email address over all of the information on my entire Goddamn phone any day.

And your yellin' and your hollerin' may take your mind off that mobile operating system that you have that's open just like swiss cheese is.

But then, Android security holes were never that hard to plug, were they?

• Reply 60 of 107
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Agree. Their web services have been embarassingly bad, since the day of .mac, MobileMe and now iCloud. iCloud syncing works about 70% of the time for me, the rest, it just hangs when trying to upload a document. Siri, after 2 years, is still slow, when Google Now make you think your device is doing magic. And let's not talk about the horrendous download speed from the App Store. Some larger games (like Infinity Blade 2 @ 1.1GB) takes well over a hour to download on my 30Mbps connection.

Oh... and on the new Xcode... it's too flat, and may even be a bit... ugly???

iCloud has worked pretty much 100% of time time for me in the past few months. 

I'm running the iOS7 beta, and Siri is now just as fast as Google now. It's blazing fast. 

Appstore download speeds pretty much saturate my connection, everything downloads extremely fast. Infinity blade 2 took 10 min tops for me, if not less. 

So I would have to disagree about the "embarrassingly bad" part. They're better than 99% of whats out there, especially considering the scope and breadth of what they;re doing, the complexity, and the amount of users heavily using iCloud products (ie. hundreds of millions). Only Google competes in sheer scale, and Apple is constantly improving, and learning everyday.