Why Apple is revving iOS in the Car for an aggressive 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    chandra69 wrote: »
    YOU COULD HAVE POSTED THIS AS WEEKEND ARTICLE. :)

LOL. Weekend started in Australia :)
  • Reply 22 of 56
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    bilbo63 wrote: »
    I dont want to have to plug in anything. When I get into my car, I want an automatic wireless connection with the iPhone in my pocket. Maybe the car companies should just agree on a standard. Let whatever phone that people want to use drive the display and onscreen controls. The fewer cables, connectors and adapters that I have to buy or use the better in my opinion.

I absolutely agree. A wireless connection is without a doubt the way to go.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I am so fed up with my factory head unit (Volkswagen RCD-810) that I am putting in an iPad Mini. I wonder if in the future, any new features will bleed over to such a setup.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I dont want to have to plug in anything. When I get into my car, I want an automatic wireless connection with the iPhone in my pocket. Maybe the car companies should just agree on a standard. Let whatever phone that people want to use drive the display and onscreen controls. The fewer cables, connectors and adapters that I have to buy or use the better in my opinion.

Bluetooth has bandwidth issues, so unless your car has a newer WiFi chip set, it won't be able to connect at any decent speed - not fast enough for AirPlay anyway.

• Reply 25 of 56
    I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in Dec 2014. That means that I'll own it at least through 2017 or 2018. I won't be looking at manufacturers who do not offer iOS integration.

Most of the manufacturers will start handing over access to all the car data to developers. Greater integration is on the way. Car manufacturers are realizing that they suck at software
  • Reply 26 of 56
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    The SYNC system was supposedly singlehandedly responsible for a big hit to Ford's customer satisfaction ratings.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in Dec 2014. That means that I'll own it at least through 2017 or 2018. I won't be looking at manufacturers who do not offer iOS integration.

That still means the software will be 3-4 years outdated. That's like using a iPhone 3G today.... I don't know why they can't just make an upgradeable idevice for vehicles.

Side note- Dec of 2014? Why that exact date- that seems odd.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Volvo's response to my inquiry about when we will get cars with this in it:

"Unfortunately at this time we do not have any information regarding iOS and its function or availability.  We will be sure to keep you updated as soon as we have anything to share."

• Reply 29 of 56
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    I sincerely hope they use a bigger display than that. Anything smaller than the iPad Mini display will be a huge disappointment.
  • Reply 30 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That still means the software will be 3-4 years outdated. That's like using a iPhone 3G today.... I don't know why they can't just make an upgradeable idevice for vehicles.

I was thinking about this while reading the article.  I hope that the display is self-contained and removable.  Give it a Lightning Cable-type connector interface and an eject button; users can pop it out for security or an upgrade.  From here, the auto industry (or, more likely, a proper third party) just needs to design a universal Automobile-API and a few standardized sizes.  Present that to the market and then you can have proper competition for this kind of service/feature on both hardware and software levels.

• Reply 31 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this while reading the article.  I hope that the display is self-contained and removable.  Give it a Lightning Cable-type connector interface and an eject button; users can pop it out for security or an upgrade.  From here, the auto industry (or, more likely, a proper third party) just needs to design a universal Automobile-API and a few standardized sizes.  Present that to the market and then you can have proper competition for this kind of service/feature on both hardware and software levels.

This is all the automobile industry needs to do. Trying to mesh with iOS now is pointless. They will too far behind with their hardware/software.

They need only to build in a housing and a connector. A PCI interface, or something modular, that the "screen" aka on board computer can connect to. If that part is removable/replaceable/upgradable, then there is a chance.

What's the point of buying a 2014 vehicle from X manufacturer that has their version of "support" for iOS in the car...only to have it pathetically outdated and probably useless by 2015.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    I don't like the Microsoft Sync deployed in Fords. I had a chance to use one for a month and I recall it was buggy. About 1-in-4 times I plugged in a USB device such as an iPod or iPhone, it would fail to recognize it. I joked that "Windows is searching for drivers for your device...this may take a few minutes." You think I'm making that up? My Windows 7 workstation at work actually takes [B]minutes[/B] to install Its own HID drivers for things such as PowerPoint clickers, and it forgets previously installed devices (yes, I know not everyone using Windows 7 has this issue, but it affects the workstations where I work). So yes, I blame Sync's woes on Microsoft. Especially when I've never had issues with other factory iPod integration.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    e1618978 wrote: »
    [SIZE=16px]Volvo's response to my inquiry about when we will get cars with this in it:

"Unfortunately at this time we do not have any information regarding iOS and its function or availability.  We will be sure to keep you updated as soon as we have anything to share."
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px] [/SIZE]

Wordy way for them to say: "no." (politicians would say "we will continue to monitor the situation closely with our allies.")
  • Reply 34 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Some of us prefer to lease (there's always the option to buy). image

• Reply 35 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What's the point of buying a 2014 vehicle from X manufacturer that has their version of "support" for iOS in the car...only to have it pathetically outdated and probably useless by 2015.

This should be especially exciting to auto manufacturers because electric cars are picking up rather slowly in an otherwise very mature market where innovation is expectedly low.  Adding sophisticated technology to the car industry may create a higher turn-over rate.  If consumers are given a reason to upgrade their cars more often, you can fully expect auto manufacturers to jump on it.  In that respect, they have very little motivation to create cars that quickly become outdated.

• Reply 36 of 56
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thus, the site wrote, "according to BMW, integration of iOS in the Car in its cars has not been ruled out at all."

BMW has their own car computer interface called iDrive, and boy is it weird.  It uses a few traditional buttons and switches to control frequently-used features (ventilation fan speed, radio volume, etc., I think) but most of the UI is on a small screen and you use a puck-like knob on the console to navigate through menus.  BMW may be clinging to iDrive, but trust me, drilling down through menus with the iDrive knob controller (while you're driving) isn't fun at all.

I've test driven many new BMWs over the years, but iDrive hasn't gotten much better.  (And I lament the Susan G. Komen "Drive for the Cure" breast cancer charity test drives.)  It's possible that BMW and Apple simply haven't yet negotiated a roadmap for weaning the cars (and existing BMW customers) from iDrive to "iOS in the car."  

Mercedes, apparently, has a vaguely similar system ("COMAND APS"), but it seems to depend more on the traditional array-of-small-buttons interface on the dash, plus the console-mounted knob for navigating menus.  So maybe that's why Mercedes has joined the "iOS in the car" program.  They have more to gain and less engineering cost to lose by abandoning some or all of COMAND.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One more thing: tomorrow's final segment on iOS in the Car will highlight why the new initiative is a bigger deal for Apple than it might initially appear.

Because the need for a reliable and accurate voice command interface in the car is more pressing than in nearly any other aspect of daily living.  Because it's the car computer interface, it directly affects driving safety.  Any computer interface will always distract the user from the act of driving.  The less interface, the better.  And yes, even a pure voice interface that allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road can and will affect their concentration.  It's not the only the hands and eyes, it's the brain that also needs to be focused on driving.  So yes, a voice interface will free up the hands and eyes (mostly) but it still takes brain cycles to generate and to understand speech.

Sometimes, though, it might be appropriate to display some kind of map.  Probably not on an LCD in the dashboard.  Probably projected at eye level somehow, over the view through the windshield, and possibly even with augmented reality signs, captions, and whatnot.  And maybe this is the major reason why Scott Forstall was canned.  Because, although iOS Maps is still a long way from becoming a head-up augmented reality driving aid, the negative publicity on the launch of iOS 6 certainly didn't help Maps' public perception.  And you only get one shot at a first impression.  Buh bye, Scott.

• Reply 37 of 56
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Only about 40 million new cars are sold in the world every year. The cellphone market is billions. Moreover, free maps/directions and music on my smartphone have already destroyed the value of my car audio system. I just want it to run AirTunes. So this is a small market for Apple, and not a valuable one.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    I think it goes way beyond integrating an iOS device into a car. I am thinking some manufacturers will completely replace their in car navigation/entertainment systems and even climate control with an iOS device. The amount they will save will be tremendous.

No more proprietary software, interfaces, connectors, screens, buttons and knobs and steering wheel controls. Just an iOS device with an app. One standard physical interface (lightning) for every vehicle.

As it is, my iPad does alot more than my Kenwood head unit with Garmin GPS and the Kenwood costs ALOT more, not to mention the proprietary interface kit I had to buy from Saab to fit it in my Car.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    So what OS does the Chevrolet MYLINK use?

Will the 2014 Camaro & Corvette get iOS in the Car?
  • Reply 40 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

The SYNC system was supposedly singlehandedly responsible for a big hit to Ford's customer satisfaction ratings.

...and not in a good way, I'd wager.