Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Tl:dr

They clearly took Android out because it's a laggy SOB and indications have said that this device skips and jerks with an already cut down version of GoogleTV code. With Android left in it wouldn't move. No way Google will ditch Android.
    I even hope that Samesung's Tizen comes out and is a strong contender. A 2 pronged attack from the 2 biggest phone manufacturers might just be enough to kill it from phone use.
  • Reply 42 of 143
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member

Best part of the whole article:

Danger, will Rubin son!

Worst part?

"its" vs. "it's"; "desert" vs. "dessert".

• Reply 43 of 143
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

There are very strong indications Samsung also plans to abandon Google and Android in favor of their own OS that is underdevelopment. Then Samsung can imitate Apple by controlling it all vertically with their own app store, search engine etc.

I got the impression somewhere this may occur as early as 2013 at a Samsung world wide developers meeting in the USA, another blatant copy of how Apple works.

Android fans may be won over by the fact Samsun plans to allow existing Android apps to be modified to run on their new OS.

If anyone is interested a little bit of research should verify these points.

It will be a weird world if people start developing for Tyzen. 

iOS Developer: Sounds cool

Android Developer: Sounds a little cool

Tyzen Cool: Oh No!  Faggot!

• Reply 44 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by teonyc View Post

Google produced Android to preserve and grow their search business. Nothing more. With growth in emerging markets as the key driver in the industry, Android is a large way for them to access these new, first-time customers. For many around the world, a stripped-down Android phone is their primary if not only access to the web. Mobile is by far gout pacing other channels in terms of global growth, and Google want to own these markets worldwide. Android is not going anywhere, and we will see more development and innovation as Google more tightly integrates their product services into Android.

This is correct.

All Google care about is that people search. They pay lip service to apps, but its not their core strategy - there may be an article from DED for that somewhere. Think about it - if you are in or near a train station with an iPhone and looking for the next train you use an app. On high level Android phones you may use an app. Otherwise, in the feature phone world,  you would search for the station name and the time. In fact google search can work out where you are and can display the times in the search  results- without needing  a click to the providers website. It doesn't matter, the search itself is Google's revenue stream. They show adds, and make revenue.

Google got into this to protect themselves from Windows not Apple. They bought Android long before the rumors of the iPhone. Sure, they reacted to the iPhone as did everybody else, within a few weeks it was clear that multi-touch was the future. But they realized that most searching would be done in future on phones, and on smart phones. Windows is in fact has about 17%+  for Bing's total search engine share in the US (http://searchengineland.com/bing-rises-above-17-search-market-share-as-google-slips-comscore-159746). Thats fairly impressive considering that the iPhone and Android default to Google.

Windows could easily have made deals with Nokia, and/or Blackberry if either of those OSes had a browser worth searching in. If the iPhone and Android hadn't entered the race, Windows would probably have made those deals, and they may even have had good browsers by now. WIthout the iPhone, without Android, google might well be in a death spiral. Or at the very least dependent on the goodwill of manufacturers.

So with Bing installed on the desktop, and on a lot of phones Microsoft would have done its normal trick of plugging away until a service was "good enough" and destroyed another competitor. Now with devices outselling PCS, and accelerating, Google has won that race.

Which means that Google is not really the enemy of Apple, and would actually be sanguine about losing market share to the iPhone provided it felt that the iPhone would always use Google search. Time to bury the hatchet.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

• Reply 45 of 143
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Can you point to those strong indications?

AppleInsider editorial on the way for this! 

• Reply 46 of 143
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    :lol:  - now to go back and read this piece.

Talk about a total waste of bits and bandwidth. The most likely reason was covered early in the piece, Android just adds to much overhead for an extremely low cost device.
  • Reply 47 of 143
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 371member

"Danger, will Rubin son!"

I keep laughing at this one. So silly.

• Reply 48 of 143
    Some sweet trolling in this one, especially the subtle hint at Google's 2-inch dongle ;D
  • Reply 49 of 143
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

A search engine is a search engine, from what I can tell.

Bing is missing a lot of secret sauce.   Search engines are not search engines.   I've been running Bing on my phone and my wife is using google.  we both search for the same stuff, and her's seems to be more context aware a significant (10% more give or take) amount of searches.   Now... unlike baseball where batting .700 vs .630 is still amazing, This is more like medicine, where I want to get to .970-.990 in terms of accuracy.

• Reply 50 of 143
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I keep seeing this comment, aren't Google apps still some of the most downloaded on iTunes, yep just checked. Google search might no longer be the default but I truly believe no one will be using Bing with iOS 7 and will just type Google.com into Safari, at least that's what I'll be doing, Bing is utter crap. Why can't I change the default search engine back to Google if I wanted too or change the default browser for that matter.

What is stopping you going into settings->safari->search engine and changing back to google ?
  • Reply 51 of 143
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    A
    aaronj wrote: »
    OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

and that's why this will stung for google. Plenty will switch defaults but the vast majority won't. Plenty will download g's browser. Most will not. Plenty will download g's map. Most will not.
  • Reply 52 of 143
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Bing is missing a lot of secret sauce.   Search engines are not search engines.   I've been running Bing on my phone and my wife is using google.  we both search for the same stuff, and her's seems to be more context aware a significant (10% more give or take) amount of searches.   Now... unlike baseball where batting .700 vs .630 is still amazing, This is more like medicine, where I want to get to .970-.990 in terms of accuracy.

Hmm, I've tried both and I haven't noticed that much difference.  OTOH, I would think that it depends on what your'e searching for, probably.

• Reply 53 of 143
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Folks are overlooking the key indicator is still the removal of Rubin from a position of significant power into research. One product more or less isn't interesting by itself.

Skewmorphism died with the removal of Forstall and a significant UI sea change occurred with Jony.

It is hardly a stretch to believe that Android is now backburnered in favor of Chrome but it's not going away any time soon.

Chrome still isn't ready for one thing.
  • Reply 54 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

A

and that's why this will stung for google. Plenty will switch defaults but the vast majority won't. Plenty will download g's browser. Most will not. Plenty will download g's map. Most will not.

And many more are starting to distrust Google more and more... 

• Reply 55 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    poksi wrote: »
    this will not happen.

I don't know. Google seem to drop everything they start after a while. YouTube, Maps and Search being the exception so far and I suspect Chrome will stay the course.
  • Reply 56 of 143
    And there was me thinking the word Chrome was palatable to Apple crowd whereas the word Android is a sin.

Now we are told that this Chromised reaching out to Windows and Apple users is really an abandonment of Android.

As a cut down Google TV, how come they were not previously ditching Android with both Google TV and Chrome OS? Are they already or are we been fed from the bottom of the barrel?

• Reply 57 of 143
    johnljohnl Posts: 9member
    What would people do without Android%u2026 they would have to sit and sulk in their parents basement and find some other reason to hate on other people's phones.

This was a good run on "open" but its just another open fail.
  • Reply 58 of 143
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Interesting article and a good read for those not already aware of the details. Again, a bit long and wordy however for those of us that do already know.

I think it's clear that Android is being de-emphasised by Google lately, but I don't think the author really proves his case that its "on the way out." I find it to be more speculative and suggestive than based on any hard facts.

Rubin's ouster doesn't have to be about anything but the Motorola acquisition for example. It's one of the biggest most expensive blunders in tech history and if he was the head cheerleader, that's more than enough reason for him not to be around anymore. Similarly, the Chrome executive taking over need not be about anything more than him being the only senior executive with the right experience, or it could also really be about consolidation rather than Android's removal.

As for the premise, or the 'trigger' if you will for the whole piece, which is the apparent decision to use Chrome in the living room instead of Android, that might have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Android is a bug-filled insecure nightmare. No media company is going to want to distribute content on Android in the living room. That would simply be insane.

In short, there are other explanations for most of the main points here and while the authors conclusion may be true, it need not necessarily be so. It's a colourful theory though.

Edit: I guess I should add that even if Google is moving away from Android, it doesn't come close to really [I]proving[/I] it's main assertion that the [I]reason[/I] for this are the issues with intellectual property.
  • Reply 59 of 143
    aaronj wrote: »

I don't think you are missing anything. I use bing exclusively. Do side by side comparisons of everyday searches and I think you will find Bing surprising. Fewer ads, fewer click through links to more ads, fewer paid position links. Once people start to realize that google isn't the be all and end all of search, more people will defect.
    I go where I feel I am getting what I want and need. I have no blind loyalty to anyone. Bing works great for me.
    More and more I felt google prying into my life. It is just now beginning to make me uneasy.
    Google has to be careful. The tech world is littered with the hulking bodies of tech companies believing themselves unassailable. There is no google in my life at all right now except gmail. It wasn't a conscious thing, just an evolution away from things I don't like.
  • Reply 60 of 143
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Since when adding features is leaving apart the core? It is funny, the only ones seeing Samsung leaving Android or forking it are the ones that can't stand Android

Gwydion,

Are you missing the big picture here.. The article doesn't talk about Samsung Ditching Android, but the makers itself ditching it :) .

It's what this article is trying to convey.