iOS 7 beta 4 clarifies phone buttons with icons, takes FaceTime full screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Whilst it doesn't get rid off some of the ugliness of iOS 7 it certainly will make it nicer on the eyes to use.

Ugliness is subjective. Personally I found iOS 6 to be far uglier
  • Reply 42 of 82
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come off it.

When I show people iOS 7 their reaction is "I'm not having that shit on my phone"! It's all cosmetics, and this update shows they are addressing some of the flaws, but there's plenty more to iron out IMO.

Scrapping primary blue text buttons would be a good start.

Scrap everything in that grotesque blue.

• Reply 43 of 82
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I would argue that the one word "Message" button with the word balloon in the bottom right image is really not clear at all.

The word Message is likely because you aren't always texting, sometimes it's iMessage. My only thought is that the clock and bubble are pointless and just require a reduced in text size. Kill them and make the words bigger like the other buttons
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Me too! :)

I personally liked the thin type face and border to border buttons. But the new rounded buttons with thicker type face are good, too!

Can't wait! :)

The thin gets lost at times. Thicker stands out more.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

I prefer the previous layout. It just looks better to me than the rounded rectangle.

I agree- I liked the square design vs the rounded.  I also liked the slightly opaque instead of a full opaque also.

But, such is design- what one person likes, another likes something different.

• Reply 46 of 82
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Deleted by user

• Reply 47 of 82
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    True, not as elegant or 'modern' looking as beta 3 iOS 7 buttons, but indeed clearer, as for the rounded corner rectangle - it is a bit of an Apple trademark already, so helps to differentiate iOS further from the look of Windows phone and Android. It also goes better with the curved edge square app icons and the curved edge rectangle shape of most iOS devices...the family look so to speak, and still much better than iOS 6 very dated looking buttons.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess you missed the new phone app buttons which are not flat square corners? image

No, I did see them. I should have been more specific. I was thinking of the softness provided by the rounded and beveled corners. The image of Tim Cook on the FaceTime chat with Jonathan Ive is a good example. I understand that new flat look is what he is going for. Just not sure I like it. I find the goal of simplifying sometimes scares me that they are removing all personality. No more color in finder sidebar icons, etc... Even the background of the image of Jony is gray.

Anyway, I am sure as a good fan boy, I will come around.

• Reply 49 of 82
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member
    I do like the sophistication of the original iOS7 layouts depicted above. However, I think that the changes made are needed for most users to clearly understand the functionality. Could be the end goal is what was depicted originally but needs this version of i0S7 as a bridge to get everyone accustomed to the overall feel with clear UI functionality/Descriptions 1st.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

When I show people iOS 7 their reaction is "I'm not having that shit on my phone"! It's all cosmetics

When a friend showed me iOS 7 I said I liked it much better in person and was impressed.  So did the other 2 people around me.

So your anecdote it negated by mine.

• Reply 51 of 82
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    1983 wrote: »
    ... helps to differentiate iOS further from the look of Windows phone and Android. It also goes better with the curved edge square app icons and the curved edge rectangle shape of most iOS devices...the family look so to speak, and still much better than iOS 6 very dated looking buttons.

Yup that's how I feel. It's a good update so far.

As far as other concerns people had over the icons I think we may see changes in the GM version of the OS.

A lot of the most controversial bits including the icons are getting polished and toned down with every beta release.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member

Quote:

Apple's new design is clearer, simpler and less controversial but also appears less elegant, distinctive and sophisticated.

Since when is more clear and more simple less sophisticated? The essence of Apple's genius is making complicated hardware (and software concepts) clear and simple to users. That is an incredibly elegant and sophisticated accomplishment.

• Reply 53 of 82
    I am pleased that Apple has finally realized that, in addition to looking good, people will actually need to be able to discern what they're looking at.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

When a friend showed me iOS 7 I said I liked it much better in person and was impressed.  So did the other 2 people around me.

The only people I have found that like iOS7 are Fandroids, and I don't care what they think, they have no taste by default.

• Reply 55 of 82
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Andysol View Post

monstrosity View Post

When I show people iOS 7 their reaction is "I'm not having that shit on my phone"! It's all cosmetics

False consensus: assuming that global opinions exactly match what your social circle thinks. It also betrays a lack of confidence in one's individual opinion. Doesn't anyone think for themselves? Either you like it or you don't, and majority opinions do not make winning sides.

blackbook View Post

A lot of the most controversial bits including the icons are getting polished and toned down with every beta release.

Jenny McCarthy endangering kids with misinformation is controversial. iOS icons have divided opinions among mobile developers and armchair graphic designers.

• Reply 56 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

The rounded corners, bordered, heavier type icons have a clunky ad hoc dated ugly look, that is neither fish nor fowl. The borderless, to the edge buttons look better. If they carry on with this 'design by committee' approach, no good can come of it. Apple needs to remember Jobs' dictum whereby Apple knows what people want better than they know themselves.

The difference between Cook and Jobs is when Jobs said "we" he meant 'me'.

• Reply 57 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's a start. Now sort out the rest of the UI you ruined.

I feel your pain. It's getting better with each beta, but those home screen icons simply need to go.

• Reply 58 of 82
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm a little sad that there doesn't seem to be any strong, consistent, confident design direction for iOS7. This is a pretty major change as far as UI goes, and it just seems random. Are they going for straight edges or rounded corners? Edge to edge buttons or padding? I hate to say this, but it just seems confused about what it wants to be. Why round the corners at this point, and why use such a small radius. Either confidently round them or don't. This just looks weak.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

"No sir I don't like it"

That new screenshot looks like 10 angry execs arguing and not sure what direction to go.  Helvetica and ultra thin font on the same screen?  Pick one not both!

I'm also not a fan of the rounded rectangles.  I think cornered rectangles would work better.  I do agree the previous borderless buttons needed to go as they did not look pressable.  They looked like something you'd slide than press. 

• Reply 60 of 82
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Looks like the Metro UI