iOS 7 beta 4 clarifies phone buttons with icons, takes FaceTime full screen

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gordio wrote: »
    I'm also not a fan of the rounded rectangles.

So you've hated computers since 1984?
  • Reply 62 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

False consensus: assuming that global opinions exactly match what your social circle thinks. It also betrays a lack of confidence in one's individual opinion. Doesn't anyone think for themselves? Either you like it or you don't, and majority opinions do not make winning sides.

Hello? I was proving that point with my analogy.  Just because he has a group that hates it doesn't mean that's how the world feels- hence my mention of another group of people believing differently.

• Reply 63 of 82
    janusijanusi Posts: 2member
    I like the skinny font and transparent borderless buttons. It looks much more elegant and refined. What is up with this thick ugly font? These rounded buttons are dated and old school.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    janusijanusi Posts: 2member
    Translucent buttons and thin font please! Dump the thick font and rounded corners!
  • Reply 65 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Looks like the glass keyboard is starting to return to looking more like a keyboard, as it should.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

The rounded corners, bordered, heavier type icons have a clunky ad hoc dated ugly look, that is neither fish nor fowl. The borderless, to the edge buttons look better. If they carry on with this 'design by committee' approach, no good can come of it. Apple needs to remember Jobs' dictum whereby Apple knows what people want better than they know themselves.

Enjoy that opinion as the ultra-thin rectangle edge-to-edge asinine design any 5 year old could have dreamt up is hated by tens of millions more.

• Reply 67 of 82
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you've hated computers since 1984?

No.  I meant in for iOS7.  Rounded solid rectangles and thick Helvetica font are inconsistent with the theme.  Rounded rectangles are fine for iOS6 for example.

• Reply 68 of 82
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    I like all theses changes.

Apple was going too far and it was not helpful for a clear and easy to read interface.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Is it just me, or does Jony look like a serial killer in those screenshots? Creepy at the very least...

To the point of the article, I feel like this is a bit of a step back. I do agree that there is a place for traditional buttons. They should not be banished, but I really did like the clean font and border-less button "zones" in certain parts of the UI. The new rounded corners and font look like a compromise between the new and old look. IMHO Beta 3 was cleaner.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

False consensus: assuming that global opinions exactly match what your social circle thinks. It also betrays a lack of confidence in one's individual opinion. Doesn't anyone think for themselves? Either you like it or you don't, and majority opinions do not make winning sides.

I never assume that, quite the contrary. Global/common opinions are worthless anyway. That's why Steve hated focus groups. 

• Reply 71 of 82
    bwhagainbwhagain Posts: 22member
    gordio wrote: »
    "No sir I don't like it"

That new screenshot looks like 10 angry execs arguing and not sure what direction to go.  Helvetica and ultra thin font on the same screen?  Pick one not both!

I'm also not a fan of the rounded rectangles.  I think cornered rectangles would work better.  I do agree the previous borderless buttons needed to go as they did not look pressable.  They looked like something you'd slide than press. 
    I wish they had got angry earlier. This new ui should never have existed. I do not hate it, I loath it. With each iteration it gets more ios 6 look, so it is less stupid than before, but still stupid. In many screens i still need to squint to find things. While on ios 6 i only need to glance. And it is stll ugly like hell. Btw i love that skeu something. IPhone 5 perhaps will be my last iDevice.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    vorsos wrote: »

Hes was refuting another anecdote. I would say most people are happy from what I see on fora.
  • Reply 73 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Command_F View Post

That's a big improvement. It may be less "elegant, distinctive and sophisticated" but it looks more usable to me. In particular, Slide to Answer (that you slide) was looking a little too much like the buttons (that you tap). That can cause user confusion.

As a personal preference (it is, after all, a UI) I still prefer buttons that look like buttons rather than just another piece of screen furniture.

Seconded. However, I greatly prefer the Ultra-Light Helvetica font with the rounded corner buttons. Retain some class with the intuitiveness.

• Reply 74 of 82
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    techno wrote: »
    I have always scoffed at those who jumped onto the "I can't stand the new look" bandwagon. However, I find myself on it desperately trying to find a way off. I hope I do. I hope I wake up one day and say, "wow I guess I was wrong." I just can't get over the flat square corners on everything. It just seems like they took away all of the nice subtle design features that have alway made Apple distinct from a bland PC dialog box.

Sometimes Apple gets it really, really right with a new look.

The last few years, they have been failing miserably with it.

Mac OS X 10.7 was abysmally bad compared to 10.6, they're cleaning up some of the mess with 10.9, but it's still not right. And what they've done to our scroll bars is an abomination.

And now, they've decided to go with the worst possible design on iOS. I'm sorry, 7 looks horrible. Up until now, they've been making improvements, but this thing is horrific. Buttons should look like they can be pressed. Icons should look nice, not flat.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They still haven't fixed the missing 'to'. That's really embarrassing.

I don't think there is a missing 'to'. It seems to me that "FaceTime" is being used as an abstract noun rather than a verb.

• Reply 76 of 82
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I thought iOS 6 was beautiful but this is stunning. I don't mind faux textures, particularly when they are rendered nicely. But the decision to remove the (non-functional) faux shine really cleans up the interface. A tasteful colour palette with enough fun touches to distance it from pretentious minimalism.

It's a nice touch giving the alarm clock and message bubble the same visual weight as the text that accompanies them. This is thoughtful design.

• Reply 77 of 82
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Buttons should look like they can be pressed. Icons should look nice, not flat.

If you think about it, it is counter intuitive to make a software button appear three dimensional when it doesn't respond to pressure. Overly prominent buttons constantly draw the eye and ache to be pressed. It can be very distracting.

I admit, at first, I found the icons a bit different, but upon reflection I think they look nice. There is plenty to say that icons shouldn't be partially obscured by virtual gloss either.

Apple are taking steps to reduce imposed visual clutter and let the user's content take centre stage.

Previously things like shine and these things were needed to cue users and developers into this being a new kind of computer experience, different from everything that had occurred before. iOS and the App Store have enough traction now that we no longer need these cues.

• Reply 78 of 82
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Apple needs to remember Jobs' dictum whereby Apple knows what people want better than they know themselves.

Quote:

Anytime you change something, people will complain, regardless of how improved things are. I think Apple should have stuck to their vision regarding elegance; all this backpedaling feels like giving us what we deserve, instead of what we need.

I agree with both of these sentiments.  However, it's hard to tell whether Jony is making changes because he's continuing to tweak his own design, or in response to developers' feedback.  Also, given that the iOS experience is in large part about 3rd party apps, iOS is kinda like an eternal work-in-progress where developers continually play with, evolve and improve the UI.  So I'm not too concerned about having to love the new UI changes because they will not be set in stone.

• Reply 79 of 82

Quote:

Indeed. As Henry Ford is reputed to have said "If I had asked them what they wanted, they would have said faster horses".

It seems as if everyone - focus groups, staff and salespeople told James Dyson not to put transparent dust holders on his new cleaners as they didn't want to see all that dirt. James Dyson disagreed and did it his way. Now they all have transparent dust holders as everyone realises that a) They can see how well they're doing b) When to empty. Sorted.

If they are just other people's opinions today, then you have to go with your own belief and vision otherwise it simply turns into fashion with no coherence.

• Reply 80 of 82
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

monstrosity View Post

Global/common opinions are worthless anyway. That's why Steve hated focus groups. 

You gave an example of showing people iOS 7 and they react in disgust. It seemed like that was to validate its ugliness, but were you really trying to make the same point I was?