Microsoft Surface revenue at $853M, less than write-down and associated ad-spend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthound74 View Post

They lose money on the unit itself, but they make up for it in game sales and Live subscriptions.  Losing money on the unit itself doesn't at all mean it's not successful not creative or not desired by consumers

Errr....OK?

• Reply 22 of 120
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Doesn't MS lose money on the XBOX? Massive amounts of money.

the original Xbox lost around 400 million dollars.

-QAMF

• Reply 23 of 120
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Although the Surface has pretty much been a failure for MS, I have a big problem with the statement,

mostly because its inaccurate.  The XBOX360 which is "computer hardware" has been and continues to be massively successful.

Another opinion with absolutely ZERO merit.  Again..XBOX360, wouldn't be such a sucess if it wasn't both creative and highly desired.

how about the original XBOX? was that "Computer HW" too? how did that do? 

• Reply 24 of 120
    bwhagainbwhagain Posts: 22member
    bullhead wrote: »
    sureface was DOA. the UI is unusable...complete garbage. I love watching Microsoft fail.
    But Apple is copying Win8 with iOS 7, talking about stupidity, like trading gold for dung.
  • Reply 25 of 120
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Although the Surface has pretty much been a failure for MS, I have a big problem with the statement,

mostly because its inaccurate.  The XBOX360 which is "computer hardware" has been and continues to be massively successful.

Another opinion with absolutely ZERO merit.  Again..XBOX360, wouldn't be such a sucess if it wasn't both creative and highly desired.

the xbox and xbox 360 have lost billions.  And both finished in third place in the console wars.  So yeah, there are failures

• Reply 26 of 120
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    bwhagain wrote: »
    But Apple is copying Win8 with iOS 7

This is obviously Steve BALDmer posting in here again!

iOS7 looks nothing like your tiled Windows Shit! Nice Try!

Surface is dead deal with it! Apple kicked your Ass again!
  • Reply 27 of 120
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what alternate reality do you live in?

The XBox 360 was a massive RROD hardware failure, with an estimated 40% failure rate for the first several years, including a massive $1 billion write off by MS for warranty costs. the hardware wasn't fixed until V2, and it still is a very noisy box. it makes a profit now, but over its total lifespan very possibly not yet. and sales have dropped in the last two years along with the entire console market due to handhelds - a permanent change of focus to hard core gaming - a market niche.

and there is one and only one reason for the eventual "success" of the XBox - Halo. the one smart thing MS did was buy Bungee and get along with the killer game that hard core gamers must have. MS did not develop the game, and Bungee is now independent again, but MS still has the exclusive on Halo. what are we on now - Halo 4?

the sole innovation by MS is its Kinect controller, a much superior version of the Wii's original UI breakthrough based on MS years of work on optical UI systems. kids love it.

the new XBox One should do well this holiday season, but we will see what market 'legs' it has after that. it is not going to become the general purpose home entertainment hub that MS wants, because the price is just too high and their are too many other options at much lower up front cost.

Microsoft did not create kinect.  they licensed the tech from PrimeSense (http://www.primesense.com)

• Reply 28 of 120
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

This makes me wonder whether the Pro model is actually generating a positive net income.  Previous numbers mentioned the RT only, these mention both, so perhaps the reason why the entire Surface line isn't doing as poorly as the Surface RT may imply that the Surface Pro is doing better / well?  Correct me if I'm wrong, economy is not my field expertise.

• Reply 29 of 120
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    I'll say it one more time: It's not just about the concept or idea, but also about its implementation. And that's what Apple excells at. Microsoft's concept of a bifurcated environment with its poor implementation is inherently destined to fail. And this is just proof of that --does anybody still question this?

Lack of taste, poor concept, poor implementation, poor performance, software limitations due to the ARM architecture, and to top it all a high price tag... well Microsoft... there you have it.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Microsoft's project appears to be floundering. Even in spite of because of negative ads targeting Apple's iPad.

Fixed that.

• Reply 31 of 120
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    eckergus wrote: »
    I'll say it one more time: It's not just about the concept or idea, but also about its implementation. And that's what Apple excells at. Microsoft's concept of a bifurcated environment with its poor implementation is inherently destined to fail. And this is just proof of that --does anybody still question this?

Lack of taste, poor concept, poor implementation, poor performance, software limitations due to the ARM architecture, and to top it all a high price tag... well Microsoft... there you have it.

All correct but don't forget Microsoft stole everything they are famous for. Window was simply reversed engineered Mac OS and Office was Steve's concept for the Mac Plus. That git Gates was hired by Apple to implement Steve's concept for Office and stole it. The sooner that dung heep goes out of business the better.

What I love is that Gate's impact on the planet will be memorialized by Monkey Boy.
  • Reply 32 of 120

I believe it will not be very successful itself since Microsoft will be competing with other Windows 8 Ultrabook hybrids. This will mean direct competition within their eco-system which often becomes race to the bottom margins. Unless they can come up with a killer-app that everyone must have and only they can offer with Surface Pro, the market will likely look for cheaper alternatives.

• Reply 33 of 120
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

the xbox and xbox 360 have lost billions.  And both finished in third place in the console wars.  So yeah, there are failures

That's definitely wrong. The 360 is finally profitable for Microsoft but I don't know about the original Xbox. I do know the original Xbox finished ahead of Gamecube and behind PS2 for second place and the 360 easily won this generation after the Wii died off. They have been the leading console seller in the US for like 26 months in a row now.

• Reply 34 of 120
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

All correct but don't forget Microsoft stole everything they are famous for. Window was simply reversed engineered Mac OS and Office was Steve's concept for the Mac Plus. That git Gates was hired by Apple to implement Steve's concept for Office and stole it. The sooner that dung heep goes out of business the better.

What I love is that Gate's impact on the planet will be memorialized by Monkey Boy.

Poor Xerox, nobody seems to remember that everyone else actually stole from them...

Gates is doing a lot more for the planet than many billionaires ever did or will ever do, and this includes Jobs.  Jobs might have contributed to charity, but Gates is funding research.  Credit to where it's due.

• Reply 35 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

xbox cost 400 million (Although, with any game sales after 360 (however few) that might be a few million less) the 360 I believe has made profits.  Just very slim ones.

They have one of the highest attachment rates (er, games sold per console sold) to my knowledge.  The issue is their damn profit structure... *ugh*

impossible to tell, but even with the RRoD fiasco MS still probably will make a few hundred million off of the Xbox 360 when all is said and done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macart View Post

This is obviously Steve BALDmer posting in here again!

iOS7 looks nothing like your tiled Windows Shit! Nice Try!

Surface is dead deal with it! Apple kicked your Ass again!

iOS7 does indeed look bit more like W8P.  Deal with it.

Apple is not stupid, when they see ideas implemented in a better way than their setup they are willing to change.  Change slowly to ensure nothing gets messed up, but still change.  Like the notification center in iOS 5/6 (7 is different, I don't know the history behind it.  I think that is all Apple) and folders.  That is all that comes to the top of my head, in terms of stuff from Android.

Apple is smart, if they see something they think has potential to improve their device on a competitors, they will remake it, but better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsico View Post

This makes me wonder whether the Pro model is actually generating a positive net income.  Previous numbers mentioned the RT only, these mention both, so perhaps the reason why the entire Surface line isn't doing as poorly as the Surface RT may imply that the Surface Pro is doing better / well?  Correct me if I'm wrong, economy is not my field expertise.

I am not sure.  I would imagine the Pro model is doing better, if just because it isn't crippled by Tegra 3 and lack of apps to run.

As well, it is really closer to a laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Fixed that.

lol :) nice!

-QAMF

• Reply 36 of 120

Quote:

Poor Xerox, nobody seems to remember that everyone else actually stole from them...

Gates is doing a lot more for the planet than many billionaires ever did or will ever do, and this includes Jobs.  Jobs might have contributed to charity, but Gates is funding research.  Credit to where it's due.

1. yeah.

2. Jobs, for the genius he was, was not what most would consider a kind person.  At least, that is the impression I get from biography from Walter Isaacson.  If I remember that right, he didn't even give that much to charity.  That is how he was.

3. Bill Gates has dedicated tons of money into things that are helping, or will be helping hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people worldwide.

-QAMF

• Reply 37 of 120
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Not "has made only $853 million".
    Has grossed only $853M.
    The problem is that "made" can mean gross revenue or net profit.
  • Reply 38 of 120
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    I believe it will not be very successful itself since Microsoft will be competing with other Windows 8 Ultrabook hybrids. This will mean direct competition within their eco-system which often becomes race to the bottom margins. Unless they can come up with a killer-app that everyone must have and only they can offer with Surface Pro, the market will likely look for cheaper alternatives.

Like I mentioned before (read reply #30), Microsoft's concept of a bifurcated environment is inherently doomed to fail. It has proven to be unappealing to consumers due to its incoherent way of working. More so on "traditional" devices such as desktop or laptop computers (ultrabooks) with touch screens. Microsoft continues to neglect the "Gorilla Arm Syndrome" and will continue to fail to attract people to adopt this touch based interface on these "traditional" computers because of this fundamental flaw.

So going back to your comment, the only threat Microsoft has is Windows 8 itself, not necessarily the container it comes in --whether it is a Surface, a Desktop, an Ultrabook, etc.

But hey, what do I know? We'll have to wait for another article like this to see what happens.

To read more on the Gorilla Arm Syndrome read: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/gorilla-arm-multitouch/
  • Reply 39 of 120

Quote:

...he said, while kicking the Xbox, KIN, and Zune under the bed. "Oh that? That's nothing. Pay no attention to that."

• Reply 40 of 120

Quote:

False. Everyone knows this.