Well it looks like I'm no longer in remission

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited March 2014
I decided to remove this post, I'm sure none of you want to hear about my medical troubles. This isn't the board to do it in. I apologise if I bummed any of you out after reading about my dilemma. I will probably stop coming here for a while though so I would like to say thank you to everyone who made this forum one of the best I've had the pleasure to visit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    There's another member who posted recently about having cancer but also edited the post to remove it. It is quite depressing to read about but that pales in comparison to how people feel that have suffered from it and need some comforting. Are you able to get a mastectomy like Angelina Jolie had recently and Christina Applegate? They both seemed to recover quite quickly from it. I think Angelina Jolie had reconstructive surgery too in order to retain the shape. Your family are there to look after you when things like this happen so while it will probably upset them, they should know about it. Just don't do the whole 'everybody take a seat, I have bad news' setup because those are very uncomfortable. If you mention it to your husband first, he can filter it to your kids if needs be. Hopefully you will make it through it and check back in to let us know.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Thank you Marvin for the kind words. I fought with breast cancer already for two years. I had a good year and a half of remission but it's back and has spread to my lungs. My survival rate has decreased exponentially because of it. I'll probably pop in every once in a while as there isn't much to do when your going through chemo and post operations.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Haven't read about that. Personally I think it shouldn't be a problem to post something heavy and personal like that. I enjoy reading your posts Relic but if you're leaving... I guess so be it. Take care!
  • Reply 4 of 127
    Thank you Phil, I'm going to stay around as long as I can. I was feeling sorry for myself when I wrote the post. I should be going about business as normal as possible. There will defiantly be a time where I will won't be able to participate but until then this board makes me happy so I shouldn't cancel it out of my life just yet.:)
  • Reply 5 of 127
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Thank you Phil, I'm going to stay around as long as I can. I was feeling sorry for myself when I wrote the post. I should be going about business as normal as possible. There will defiantly be a time where I will won't be able to participate but until then this board makes me happy so I shouldn't cancel it out of my life just yet.image

Just ask yourself this, what would Bender do? 

Speaking of which, I used to know a soap opera lead. He never got the calculon jokes.

• Reply 6 of 127
    Your positive mindset should be inspiring to others and might turn out to be a life saver. Props to you Relic.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Oh thank you so much but I think the real inspirational people are the ones around me; family, friends, coworkers and even neighbors. The first time I went through chemotherapy I was barely able to get out of bed but I always tried to make dinner for my kids and husband. My kitchen faces the neighbors den and I rarely close the blinds, the neighbor saw me through the window one late afternoon suffering so she came over, made me tea and finished making dinner. After that unbeknownst to me she rung up the whole neighborhood, they decided to take turns coming over and helping with the meals. I learned a lot of great recipes in this time period I was never alone during the day either. I'm going to hire a live in caretaker this time around however.

I always thought that voice recognition was kind of weird but I think I'm happy to have Siri now. Preparing for what is about to happen to me I have connected the iPad to my TV in the bedroom so I can still surf without using my hands. I know it sounds weird but staring at a screen, mouse and keyboad for long periods of time makes me very dizzy, so I can ask Siri to just read the sites, a God send. On this subject is there a way to make the video output look crisper while using the Lightning HDMI connector? It doesn't look very nice when connected to a 1080P screen. If not I've heard good things about using Siri in a [URL=http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-siri-do-what-you-want-with-siriproxy-on-mac-os-x-and-ipad-3/]proxy[/URL] configuration which I could use with my Mac Mini. Will OSX 10.9 have Siri?
  • Reply 8 of 127
    Help can come from unexpected places; happy to read you're getting yours.

Don't know about the quality over that cable, but you might want to consider the AppleTV for your needs. Using AirPlay is really easy and with a crisp 1080 output. Not too expensive.

Don't know about Siri on 10.9 but will check it when I get home tonight.

Take care.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    Sorry Relic, no Siri on 10.9. Only dictation.
  • Reply 10 of 127

On a Mac, you can access in the System Preferences:  Accessibility:  Voice Over and also Speakable Items.  These can help with a lot of basic interaction with the Mac.

You can even set the computer to always listen, waiting for a specific phrase before it receives a command.  This can be really helpful when you don't feel good.

However, it can be picky when it comes to intonation.  

This is the page for Mavericks:  

http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/accessibility.html

- - -

Dragon Speech also works great and can be used for longer typing.  My experience with it shows it to be pretty accurate.  It also doesn't have a limit on length like Dictation.  I have left it running for an hour, typing notes as I cleaned out some old desk drawers.

• Reply 11 of 127
    On a Mac, you can access in the System Preferences:  Accessibility:  Voice Over and also Speakable Items.  These can help with a lot of basic interaction with the Mac.

You can even set the computer to always listen, waiting for a specific phrase before it receives a command.  This can be really helpful when you don't feel good.

However, it can be picky when it comes to intonation.  

This is the page for Mavericks:  

http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/accessibility.html

- - -

Dragon Speech also works great and can be used for longer typing.  My experience with it shows it to be pretty accurate.  It also doesn't have a limit on length like Dictation.  I have left it running for an hour, typing notes as I cleaned out some old desk drawers.

Thank you Bergermeister, what a neat piece of software this Dragon Speech is. Works very well and is quite fast. I'm using the iPad as a proxy for Siri for my Mac Mini, did that come out correctly. Anyway, I can talk into my iPad to give commands to my Mac Mini, seems to work pretty good. I just need something to read, answer emails and do a little surfing. I had my first dose of radiation today, it's now 02:11, my sheets are soaking wet. My husband has to work in the morning so he is sleeping in the guest bedroom with my daughter. They both want to help me but I can't expect them to stay awake all night. I really need a glass of water, uuuuuhhhhh this sucks so bad.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    I'm going to keep posting in this thread quite often I think, use it as a tiny diary while I go threw this. If it get's to be too much for anyone just let me know and I will stop.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

Quote:

I'm going to keep posting in this thread quite often I think, use it as a tiny diary while I go threw this. If it get's to be too much for anyone just let me know and I will stop.

I look forward to reading your posts. :) Sending good vibes your way.

• Reply 14 of 127
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

As with all things, this one can be related to futurama.

• Reply 15 of 127
    relic wrote: »

Post away Relic; I'm reading. And if I have some knowledge on a topic I'll reply.

Take care
  • Reply 16 of 127

Quote:

Post away.

• Reply 17 of 127
    So far it's going as well as can be expected. My biggest problem is still the nausea, I'm taking something called Palonosetron or Aloxi, the branded name on the box to help with it, I also have to take Decadron a steroid with the Aloxi. The real draw back from the medication is the headaches, horrible blinding headaches, I was given this awesome drug called Tramadol for those, their in drop form, taste like bitter licorice but make me higher then a fighter pilot.

I'm having trouble eating so I've been drinking a lot of these nutritional milk shakes they give to underweight children called Ensure and I find comfort in sucking on a piece of jerky.

I spend my days sleeping, soaking in a bath when I get too stinky which seems like always, I sweat a lot. I need someone in the bathroom with me so my son and daughter are taking turns. Last night my son took a phone call from one of his friends and when asked what he was doing, he simply replied, just taking a bath with my mom in which my husband overhearing this said, "so, that's what kind of family they are". Haha, Ferris Buellers Day Off quotes still makes me laugh. I'm so happy they are all in good spirits.

I sleep in my bed alone now for the time being as I don't want to disturb my husband in the night. As a compromise though I have too sleep with our snoring, huge fluffy Malmute, she goes and get's people when I need help and is really warm to snuggle against. The best part is she knows how to retrieve me water from our a mini fridge, we just can't leave food or beer in it. Really, the silly dog drinks beer, she can actually distinguish what the labels are. Well my husband only drinks one kind of beer so I guess it isn't that hard but still.

Siri seems to be doing a good job at writing what I say and is making my English pronunciation better as I can't be too Swissy when I talk, yaay for technology.
  • Reply 18 of 127

Ferris Bueller and beef jerky.  Nice!  image

You've got a positive attitude, which is inspiring.  And a sense of humor.  

Glad Siri is working out for you.

• Reply 19 of 127
    Good to read another post from you Relic. What a mess, heh. I so much hope there is a good chance for you to get better. My girlfriend, suffering from whiplash, used Tramadol as well (pills); it really is an awful drug considering the side effects she had, I sure hope it helps you.

That is one funny dog you have! Making the family complete. Best to you, and your loved ones.
  • Reply 20 of 127

I know you have beer man, don't screw with me.