Resale value of Apple's iPhone 4 increased 10% since April, Galaxy S III dropped 27%

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    Here comes the FUDicopter and its brave pilot!

I hate to admit it, but that's freaking funny.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    soloman wrote: »
    So what's your explanation? I'm not saying it's solely that but I'm sure it's one of the reasons for a increased demand for them.

People don't like contracts but they want iPhones. Dumbphone users, disgruntled Androiders, WP7 ginea pigs, former crack berry addicts, ...
  • Reply 43 of 52
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

I'm not sure why people use trade in programs. You get much more $$ from selling your phone on Ebay or Cragislist.

You get more money by selling on eBay or Craigslist, but people will pay for convenience.  You have to pack up your iPhone, address it, and send it to the high bidder.  Not a major hassle, but it does take time out of your day, etc.

If Apple ever instates an iPhone trade-in program at Apple Stores, I think it would be a big hit.  One-stop shopping and selling for iPhone users, and fewer old iPhones for Apple to support.  The fewer older iPhones out there, the less Apple will need to support the old hardware.  Less testing, less coding effort, and possibly faster development of iOS.

Also, Apple would be eliminating a portion of the used iPhone market.  Customers looking for a lower-cost iPhone could buy a brand new iPhone "5C" instead of a 1- or 2-year old high-end iPhone.  Come to think of it, if there really is a lower-cost iPhone "5C" the resale value of iPhones might drop drastically.

• Reply 44 of 52
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

You get more money by selling on eBay or Craigslist, but people will pay for convenience.  You have to pack up your iPhone, address it, and send it to the high bidder.  Not a major hassle, but it does take time out of your day, etc.

If Apple ever instates an iPhone trade-in program at Apple Stores, I think it would be a big hit.  One-stop shopping and selling for iPhone users, and fewer old iPhones for Apple to support.  The fewer older iPhones out there, the less Apple will need to support the old hardware.  Less testing, less coding effort, and possibly faster development of iOS.

Also, Apple would be eliminating a portion of the used iPhone market.  Customers looking for a lower-cost iPhone could buy a brand new iPhone "5C" instead of a 1- or 2-year old high-end iPhone.  Come to think of it, if there really is a lower-cost iPhone "5C" the resale value of iPhones might drop drastically.

They use PowerON for their recycling program.  Some people don't want to dick around with eBay, because you have to first have an account, then you have to go through the hassle of listing it, then waiting for someone to offer you the price you're asking for, then you have to ship it, it's just a hassle and I'm not that big of a fan of eBay in the first place and I've limited my purchases through them as much as possible.  Plus I've caught those idiots selling illegal product before, so the less I use eBay, the better.  Craigslist is so 80's. I feel like I went back in time when I used to use a dial up 300 baud modem to some cheesy BBS system.

If the price difference was more than $250, I might consider it, but to get an extra $50 or so? NOPE.  My time is worth more than that.  Total time spent would probably be around a couple of hours plus the wait time for someone to respond.  It can take weeks to get someone offering a high enough price to make it worthwhile.

• Reply 45 of 52
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    soloman wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Well, duh

No, not duh. I don't see many other devices. Mostly iPhones, iPods, and BBs for a track ball/pad replacement.

In your friends repair shop, right? That's what the 'duh' referred to.

A very poor example would be: buy a white Volvo tomorrow and see just how many white Volvo's there are. Before you got your own, you never noticed it. A very poor example, but straight to the point.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Come to think of it, if there really is a lower-cost iPhone "5C" the resale value of iPhones might drop drastically.

I think it would have the opposite affect.

The 4/4S will be viewed as an entirely different tier of device compared to the 5C.

The 5C is a simple cheap plastic design, the 4/4S is an intricate glass design. 

There is a completely different value dynamic for both, and I think some would rather have a device known for being high end rather than a device known for being a cheap alternative.

It's why some people would rather shop at Plato's Closet over Walmart.

• Reply 47 of 52
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    philboogie wrote: »
    In your friends repair shop, right? That's what the 'duh' referred to.

A very poor example would be: buy a white Volvo tomorrow and see just how many white Volvo's there are. Before you got your own, you never noticed it. A very poor example, but straight to the point.

Wrong example, it's if I'd see White Volvos in my mechanics shop.
  • Reply 48 of 52

The iPhone 4/4S is a design classic. To those of you who still have one in pristine condition I say keep it out of harms way for it will be worth a lot more in a few years...  image

• Reply 49 of 52
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

This is exactly what I do....I can't wait to trade in my 4s for a 5c or 5s. Drop Sprint like I dropped ATT and maybe go with Walmart.

Walmart has a cell service?  Cool.  Does it's towers have a blue flashing light on them?

• Reply 50 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sambira wrote: »
    Walmart has a cell service?  Cool.  Does it's towers have a blue flashing light on them?

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home
  • Reply 51 of 52
    According to Movaluate which tells fair market price of used smartphone, iPhone 4 has dropped $242 to $210 about 20% and Galaxy s III dropped $361 to $265 as well since April. One thing that they missed is iPhone 4 sales volume has been decreasing as well.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    SGS III came out in 2012
    iPhone 4 came out in 2010

The newer one is on the decline still, obviously. The other is plateauing with minor fluctuations.

No hard dollar figures to be found anywhere in this article. (Disappointing given I was googling for them just now)
    But one thing's for sure...a GSIII is worth a hell of a lot more than an iPhone 4. Like 2 to 3 times as much.

(Nice article.)