Apple wins ITC ban on Samsung products [updated with ITC's final determination]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    I hope that more and more people would read what the key difference between SEP which come with FRAND commitments that apply to all companies regardless of competitor status or not, versus normal patents which are exclusive to the inventor/patent holder. It would also help if articles were more clear on the differences too, than merging the two types together like certain companies who wish to get away with patent infringement want.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

A samsung rep said this "Samsung will continue to launch many innovative products and we have already taken measures to ensure that all of our products will continue to be available in the United States."

Samsung will continue to launch many innovative products - His way of saying we'll keep cloning more.

and the part they have taken measures to ensure all there products will continue to be available in the US - Is a way to calm carriers / retailers from dumping there devices for dirt cheap prices and bear the losses. They'll try to prolong this until the point they figure out how to come up with techniques to overcome the infringement.

• Reply 43 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Because of the time it takes to get an import ban rendering banned products obsolete (or)
    in case of damage payout's the paid out amount is a small percentage of the total profit made from the device in question, Samsung would still keep infringing and wont ever have the need to stop.

Irrespective of this, there's damage being done on Samesung's reputation. People do see that they are getting banned. Don't you think that would negatively impact sales of there non-banned phones too ? The consumers obvious question would be , "Should I buy this phone, who knows if its gonna get banned sooner or later in the country, meaning ill end up loosing support for the device in the future".

Sort of.

In reality, when you read the press, every time Samsung wins some tiny point, it's headline news. But when Apple wins a major point, it bets buried on the last page - if it appears at all. So the media is giving a very biased view of things.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sort of.

In reality, when you read the press, every time Samsung wins some tiny point, it's headline news. But when Apple wins a major point, it bets buried on the last page - if it appears at all. So the media is giving a very biased view of things.

that may be true.. but their stock sure did take a beating after the Obama veto.

• Reply 45 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

U.S. patent law is such nonsense - this rubbish could go on for the next century and achieve absolutely nothing (except spending a colossal amount on lawyers and not on innovation).

Translation: Innovate, don't litigate.

Response: Can it. No, that's not legalese or even filmese.

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Troll much?

It's tooltalk. So, yes!

• Reply 46 of 113
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [QUOTE]The ITC's final determination found Samsung to have infringed on two Apple patents, one for a touchscreen control method and another for headphone I/O tech, which means an import ban on offending products has been ordered, reports FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller.[/QUOTE]
    I don't get Samsung's statement. What do either of those have to do with rounded rectangles? Are they even design patents?
  • Reply 47 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Yeop its a possibility that retail outlets might drop prices of the phones to sell it before landing a ban.

Or when the ban goes into effect they'll have to push all there inventory into the gray / black market.

Still too early to judge though.

It's an import ban, not a sales ban.

What's going to be a bigger problem for Samsung is negotiating large forward contracts.  It's a slim chance, but retailers may decide to pass on Samsung gear and turn more towards people like HTC.  I'm thinking that's one desired affect Apple would like to see.

If Apple *really* wanted to put the screws to Samsung (and Motorola, for that matter) they should license some Apple tech to HTC for a short period.  If the economics even warrant, they could even buy a large position in HTC provided Taiwan would let it happen.

• Reply 48 of 113
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't get Samsung's statement. What do either of those have to do with rounded rectangles? Are they even design patents?

What statement did Samsung make? I didn't see on in the article.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

So why does it impact older Samsung products only as many sources are reporting now?

Doesn't S4 use multi-touch?

Yes. it does. Otherwise, no one would buy any of Galaxy line. This is really bad for Samsung if the multi-touch technology they use is the same as the one that Apple patented.

• Reply 50 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Good news there... Will have to wait and figure out what models are in question here for the ban.

Pointless if some really old model's are being banned.

The method of multi-touch and the headphone detection when plugged, these sounds like very fundamental to the phone.

I am guessing every device model till date would be infringing those.

Apple patent didn't prohibit others from using multi-touch technology in a mobile device since there're many different multi-touch technologies before Apple's. However, others cannot copy the "method" of using multi-touch in the same manner as Apple. The same goes for headphone detection method.

• Reply 51 of 113
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Apple patent didn't prohibit others from using multi-touch technology in a mobile device since there're many different multi-touch technologies before Apple's. However, others cannot copy the "method" of using multi-touch in the same manner as Apple. The same goes for headphone detection method.

Many people are unaware of the fact that there's quite a few 'multi touch' patents out there.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member

I believe one of the other four Apple patents tossed out in todays' ruling was a design patent.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I haven't found a list of what all is included in the ban, but you can be certain that they're old models.  

Yes, they're old models.   As I noted in a post this morning:   

The accused devices are the Galaxy S 4G, Fascinate, Transform, Captivate, Intercept, Infuse 4G, Galaxy Tab (original) and Galaxy Tab 10.1 (second model). 

The reason why Apple keeps pursuing seemingly meaningless bans on old products, is because they want to set a precedent that they can use on current products.

However, the touch scroll patent has already been worked around in later models.  I don't know if the jack detection has already been done so as well.  IIRC, it was about using impedance to recognize a microphone.

• Reply 54 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

that may be true.. but their stock sure did take a beating after the Obama veto.

The day of the veto, Samsung's stock closed down just one point.

Heck, Apple stock lost more than that today.

• Reply 55 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

If Apple *really* wanted to put the screws to Samsung (and Motorola, for that matter) they should license some Apple tech to HTC for a short period.  If the economics even warrant, they could even buy a large position in HTC provided Taiwan would let it happen.

Apple already cross-licensed ALL their non-design patents with HTC last year.

Didn't help.

• Reply 56 of 113
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There were two design patents in this case that the ITC determined Samsung did not infringe upon.

http://www.google.com/patents/USD558757

http://www.google.com/patents/USD618678

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What statement did Samsung make? I didn't see on in the article.

Samsung made a statement to The Verge which I posted earlier in the thread.  Here's a link to the original source.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/9/4607014/itc-bans-older-samsung-phones-for-infringing-apple-patents

• Reply 57 of 113
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

good point..samsung never admits to stealing even though its business model.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    tcasey wrote: »
    good point..samsung never admits to stealing even though its business model.

How many people you know like to incriminate themselves?
  • Reply 59 of 113
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    About time Samsung 'buyer known as the COPYCAT' gets kicked where it hurts. Even though the products effected are old, it still upholds what a patent stands for.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    droidftw wrote: »
    There were two design patents in this case
    droidftw wrote: »
    Samsung made a statement to The Verge which I posted earlier in the thread.  Here's a link to the original source.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/9/4607014/itc-bans-older-samsung-phones-for-infringing-apple-patents

Thanks, didn't see your post. Nonsensical statement if you ask me.