Rumor: Photos claim to show 'iPhone 5C' mute switch, volume and power buttons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, I can't possibly believe that these are real.  If they are, you have to be kidding me.

Then again, I've been against the entire idea of a "cheap" iPhone since the beginning.  If it comes out looking anything like some of the stuff we've seen, I am saying good-bye to my AAPL stock that day.  Plastic crap should be left to Android.

• Reply 22 of 78
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Now we know the target audience...

Yellow For iPhone 5C Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement Parts OEMimage

Hot Pink For iPhone 5C Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement OEMimage

Blue Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement Parts for iPhone 5C OEMimage

• Reply 23 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If Apple can get younger people inside of the iEcosystem by offering the iPhone 5C they will surely benefit.  Freshman at my local University are given iPads in order to accomplish this (Lord knows they're paying for it through their tuition bills) and offering a less expensive iPhone should be able to get more people in as well.

Yes, because someone who can't buy a real iPhone because her allowance isn't high enough is really going to be spending a TON of cash on music and movies and apps.

Your typical album in iTunes is what?  About $11?  Your typical HD movie rental is $5.  And sure, there are lots of free and cheaper apps.

Sorry, but this move has NEVER made sense to me.  A lower margin product, aimed at people with little money, so that they'll ... what?  Buy a $2,700 27" iMac the next year?  Come on.

• Reply 24 of 78
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How about we wait to see the finished product before we start slagging it? We know absolutely nothing about this rumored phone. We don't know the price, we don't know how Apple is going to market it, where they're really going to push it. We don't even know that these leaked parts are accurate.

We already know this will be priced high. $450 should he expected at this point.

Would you pay that much for an all plastic phone with cheap ass buttons that feel like shit when you're toggling and pressing them?
    ireland wrote: »
    Like or not they 1. Had to do a lower cost iPhone option that was also a new phone. And 2. Ensure it doesn't completely reduce the desire for the inevitable 5S.

Apple could have accomplished both goals without resorting to this.

Look at the iPod touch...
  • Reply 25 of 78
    mstone wrote: »
    I think the colors are so intense that they are definitely on to something trendy. Total hit with the younger crowd in my opinion.

There is always the white one if you are a conservative adult who just needs a cheap iPhone.

jragosta wrote: »
    The people whining about the colors are the same people who whined about the original iMac. And we all know how that worked out.

The colors are fine enough.

My qualm is with the choice of material.

These iPhones would like look 1,000,000,000 times better if they were made of anodized aluminum regardless of what the color selection was.

If apple can afford to use anodized aluminum on the $49 iPod Shuffle why would they resort to barf inducing plastic on a $450 iPhone?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blackbook wrote: »
    We already know this will be priced high. $450 should he expected at this point.

Would you pay that much for an all plastic phone with cheap ass buttons that feel like shit when you're toggling and pressing them?

So you've already played around with one of these phones and know the buttons are "cheap ass" that "feel like shit"? :no:

If Apple made a low cost iPhone that looked like the iPod touch that's what everyone would want. Obviously Apple has concerns about a lower cost phone cannibalizing the flagship device.

I'm not going to judge a device based on photos of alleged leaked parts. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 27 of 78
    So you've already played around with one of these phones and know the buttons are "cheap ass" that "feel like shit"? :no:

If Apple made a low cost iPhone that looked like the iPod touch that's what everyone would want. Obviously Apple has concerns about a lower cost phone cannibalizing the flagship device.

I'm not going to judge a device based on photos of alleged leaked parts. :rolleyes:

Apple should want to illicit desire with ALL of their products.

Every single iPod from the $49 Shuffle to the $399 touch is sexy.

The iPad Mini is SEXIER than the iPad.

Why would Apple turn on their own philosophy and design pattern with their NUMBER ONE SELLING MOST PROFITABLE PRODUCT?

A cheaper iPhone SHOULD represent the iPhone brand. It SHOULD be a lust worthy product that demands attention.

All of this shit about the 5C having to be ugly in order to keep sales of the 5S up is ludicrous and very un-Apple.

Apple never cuts corners no matter the price of the product, and I would expect that tradition to continue for a cheaper iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple should want to illicit desire with ALL of their products.

Every single iPod from the $49 Shuffle to the $399 touch is sexy.

The iPad Mini is SEXIER than the iPad.

Why would Apple turn on their own philosophy and design pattern with their NUMBER ONE SELLING MOST PROFITABLE PRODUCT?

A cheaper iPhone SHOULD represent the iPhone brand. It SHOULD be a lust worthy product that demands attention.

All of this shit about the 5C having to be ugly in order to keep sales of the 5S up is ludicrous and very un-Apple.

Apple never cuts corners no matter the price of the product, and I would expect that tradition to continue for a cheaper iPhone.
    I'm not going to speculate on an unreleased product that we know nothing about. Lets have this conversation after Sept 10.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    I'm not going to speculate on an unreleased product that we know nothing about. Lets have this conversation after Sept 10.

I'm honestly still hoping all of these leaks are fake but you've got to admit that with the consistency of the leaks the plastic 5C is looking to be a reality.

Only question mark now is the price but I think Ming is probably right that the starting price will be around $450.

As I said I'm hoping this is all wrong but at the same time I know the odds are pointing in favor of a $450 colorful plastic iPhone September 10th.
  • Reply 30 of 78

Ikea was here

• Reply 31 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Color blind people?

I get that some people don't like colours, but it's not like the regular black and white iPhones are going away.  

Also, these colours are way better than the primary coloured crap that Nokia has been putting out for years and no one ever criticises them.  At least I can't remember a single time when someone on this forum went on and on about Nokia's crappy coloured phones, or the fact that they are also plastic.  

The whole idea behind a cheap phone is a cheap, quick, and cost effective manufacturing process.  I can't think of any other process or material that's better suited than what they are using here. 

• Reply 32 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Now we know the target audience...

Yellow For iPhone 5C Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement Parts OEMimage

Hot Pink For iPhone 5C Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement OEMimage

Blue Power Button On/Off Switch Replacement Parts for iPhone 5C OEMimage

This is just sexist crap.  

Men's pants in those exact same colours were the big item this summer all over North America.  

Just cause you didn't buy them … 

I mean seriously … does it make sense to make a product just for women or just for men?  Do you seriously think that Apple is that stupid?  

Most of the folks on this forum are just out of touch older dudes.  That is the problem.  

• Reply 33 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Men's pants in those exact same colours were the big item this summer all over North America.  

Just cause you didn't buy them …

Sexist, really?  And I would love to see where you saw these stats that they were "the big item."  I follow fashion nearly religiously.  You may think it's sad that I know a Marchesa dress on the red carpet before the actress is even asked about it, fine.  But I haven't seen a single article about how purple or yellow or pink or whatever *men's* pants were "the big item" this season.

I also haven't seen a single person wearing anything like that.  But that's just anecdotal, anyways.

Quote:

I mean seriously … does it make sense to make a product just for women or just for men?  Do you seriously think that Apple is that stupid?

No, what makes sense is to make completely gender-neutral items, like they've been doing for a long time now.

Quote:

Most of the folks on this forum are just out of touch older dudes.  That is the problem.

I may be an "older dude" but, frankly, I am hardly out of touch.

• Reply 34 of 78
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    aaronj wrote:
    A lower margin product, aimed at people with little money, so that they'll ... what?  Buy a $2,700 27" iMac the next year?  Come on.

Maybe not next year... But that entire generation will be a part of the ecosystem. That's what Apple is banking on. Look at loyalty rates on iPhone. These will be return customers.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Well, I can't possibly believe that these are real.  If they are, you have to be kidding me.

Then again, I've been against the entire idea of a "cheap" iPhone since the beginning.  If it comes out looking anything like some of the stuff we've seen, I am saying good-bye to my AAPL stock that day.  Plastic crap should be left to Android.

Sadly though Apple is losing just too many potential customers at their current iPhone price. No one I know wanted a 2 or 3 year old iPhone and could afford the €679 for a 16GB iPhone 5. Yes you read that price correctly. This iPhone will be a hit.
  • Reply 36 of 78

It's not a phone. If it was an coloured aluminium iPhone at that price iPhone 5 sales would take a huge hit and Apple's bottom line would suffer greatly.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Men's pants in those exact same colours were the big item this summer all over North America.

You're referring to colored hipster pants. You need to chill. I think you're a little off there. And the colours you linked to weren't as spot in pastel as the ones that other guy/gal linked to. The sexism is all on your head. The person made an excellent point and nailed the colours.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    ireland wrote: »
    It's not a phone. If it was an coloured aluminium iPhone at that price iPhone 5 sales would take a huge hit and Apple's bottom line would suffer greatly.

Same could have been said of the iPad Mini but that didnt stop Apple.

I agree that a plastic iPhone would be better for Apple's bottom line, but I personally feel it would be worse for the brand in the long run.

I contend that at $450/€400 Apple can do better than this.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

The colors are fine enough.

My qualm is with the choice of material.

These iPhones would like look 1,000,000,000 times better if they were made of anodized aluminum regardless of what the color selection was.

If apple can afford to use anodized aluminum on the $49 iPod Shuffle why would they resort to barf inducing plastic on a $450 iPhone?

Yeah, Apple would never make a product from plastic:

• Reply 40 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, Apple would never make a product from plastic:

Come on, that was a different time, there were totally different economics involved, and most importantly they weren't following those in a race to the bottom with the iMac, they were creating a whole new "gestalt."

Now, it would just be, "Well Samsung, HTC, Pantech, and a bunch of other Android companies are making cheap, plastic phones, so why don't we?"

The situations couldn't be more different.