Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You are not credible. The iPhoto app will let you create your own galleries. You don't know? The fact is for iOS, your use various apps to play with files.  

Does it do that now?  That's good.  I can assure you that I couldn't do it on the original iPad that I bought.  I looked all over to be able to get this functionality.  I simply couldn't find any app that would do that.  I even used a file system app (can't recall now), but it wasn't particularly good.  And it certainly couldn't help me with the photos since the photos were not on any easily accessed file system and I think the galleries were in some database and not file system driven.  The only reason I bought the iPad was so that I could leave my laptop behind and use the iPad to download the photos from my DSLR when I was on the road.  At the time I was using a couple of storage viewers if I didn't take my laptop.  They had tiny screens and you couldn't really see the quality of the photos.  The iPad seemed like a terrific alternative.  So I bought the $40 adapter (which wouldn't work on my iPod Touch - that had its own $40 adapter!), hooked it to the iPad, connected the camera and downloaded the photos.  It worked like an absolute charm.  I could see the photos and cull the bad ones.  Then I took another set of photos, downloaded them and it created another album.  Some of the photos on that day I wanted to move to the previous day's album.  Couldn't do it.  I googled and found that the only way to do that was to connect it to the PC, move the photos on iTunes and then transfer them back to the iPad.  WTF!  So much for a post PC world!

It pretty much spent the next few months gathering dust until I bought the Asus Transformer.  I connected my camera to the the tablet using the universal USB host and transferred the photos.  Moved them around using a file manager and I had a tablet I could use on the road.  I sold the iPad the following week.

If the iPhoto app now manages the organization of images in galleries from within the app on the tablet itself, that's good.  But I can do all that (and more) easily on my Nexus 10 now.

• Reply 82 of 83
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I'll be giving Google Gestures a try as that sounds like it will seamlessly merge into my setup.  ES File Explorer is also a solid choice for what you're describing above.  You might already be familiar with it as it's very popular as well, but it's what I use and I love it.

I tried a lot of file explorers (including ES File Explorer) along with Root Explorer.  I preferred Root Explorer for accessing system files.  But now I use Solid Explorer.  It's solid, feature rich and pleasing to the eye.  Gesture Search really is such a productive app.

• Reply 83 of 83
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Does it do that now?  That's good.  I can assure you that I couldn't do it on the original iPad that I bought.  I looked all over to be able to get this functionality.  I simply couldn't find any app that would do that.  I even used a file system app (can't recall now), but it wasn't particularly good.  And it certainly couldn't help me with the photos since the photos were not on any easily accessed file system and I think the galleries were in some database and not file system driven.  The only reason I bought the iPad was so that I could leave my laptop behind and use the iPad to download the photos from my DSLR when I was on the road.  At the time I was using a couple of storage viewers if I didn't take my laptop.  They had tiny screens and you couldn't really see the quality of the photos.  The iPad seemed like a terrific alternative.  So I bought the $40 adapter (which wouldn't work on my iPod Touch - that had its own $40 adapter!), hooked it to the iPad, connected the camera and downloaded the photos.  It worked like an absolute charm.  I could see the photos and cull the bad ones.  Then I took another set of photos, downloaded them and it created another album.  Some of the photos on that day I wanted to move to the previous day's album.  Couldn't do it.  I googled and found that the only way to do that was to connect it to the PC, move the photos on iTunes and then transfer them back to the iPad.  WTF!  So much for a post PC world!

It pretty much spent the next few months gathering dust until I bought the Asus Transformer.  I connected my camera to the the tablet using the universal USB host and transferred the photos.  Moved them around using a file manager and I had a tablet I could use on the road.  I sold the iPad the following week.

If the iPhoto app now manages the organization of images in galleries from within the app on the tablet itself, that's good.  But I can do all that (and more) easily on my Nexus 10 now.

I think the iPhoto app was released later than the iPad.  I also believe iPhoto app will have the same functionality of the iPhoto application on the Mac.