Apple's A7 SoC expected to be 20% more efficient, debut in 'iPhone 5S'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Yes, the iPhone 5 sold 60M copies with its 4" screen. But time and perception have changed. A friend of mine got an iPhone 5, after 3GS, after a BlackBerry. He was at first wowed by the iPhone 5, screen size was not a problem. Now it is. Just a few weeks back, he said that if there wasn't a larger screen, he would go to Android next. Perceptions have changed. 60M people bought the 4" screen because they thought it was adequate for them. No doubt somebody still do. But I'm seeing more and more people thinking they need bigger screen. Call it by-product or brain-washing by the Android vendors or whatever, the truth remains: customers' perception—your reality. Perhaps some 5 to 10M of those iPhone 5 owner now want bigger phones; or may be another 5 or 10M customers chose not to buy and iPhone 5 because of the screen size.

The market is sating that Apple definitely need a bigger screen phone as their flagship. Apple has been late to the game, and none of the news we recently heard told that Apple was catching up. Yes, there are unique features to the iPhone, but if those rank below the bigger screen, Apple just loses a sale. What I want to see is a more diverse range of iPhone: an iPhone Classic with 4" screen, a flagship iPhone with 4.5" - 5", and an iPhone Mini with 4" screen and lower specs. Apple has done it with the iPod, and the Mac (a simple 2x2 grid: professional/home x desktop/mobile), then why not the iPhone?

I'd rather wait for a new iPhone with a larger screen than buy into Android.  I see the Android platform as a VERY destructive platform for the industry.  It's similar to the low grade POS PCs.  It just throws out too much cheap junk on the market that really have no business being there.  I still can't figure out why ANYONE would buy an i3 or Celeron processor based system.   Intel should be ashamed of themselves for putting those processors on the market and the people that make computers using those products should also be ashamed of themselves. 

I don't use my smartphone enough to actually NEED a bigger screen, it would just be nice because of my eyesight, but I wont touch Android.  If someone gave me one, I'd still turn it in for credit towards a new iPhone large screen model and wait another 6 to 12 months.  I don't need to keep up with the Jones' that badly.

• Reply 42 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Yes, the iPhone 5 sold 60M copies with its 4" screen. 

Are you sure about that number?  I think they've sold a lot more than that since the release of them. Who's your source and what was the date of that number sold?

• Reply 43 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

With FaceTime Audio  (still hate the name) coming to iOS7 I might ditch the iPhone altogether and just get a new iPad Mini and Cellular and a much cheaper data contract.  The vast majority of people I call or text have iPhones, so iMessage and Facetime will connect me to them, and for others there's Skype, and either Twitter, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

Yeah, I'll be giving up the convenience of having the device in my pocket, but if I'm stationary then my phone is normally on my desk, and I only occasionally take my phone out of my pocket while I'm transit.  Plus, I always carry a bag anyway, with my 10" iPad in it.  I think iOS7 is going to be the point where a single device can replace both phone and laptop for me, and it's the iPad Mini.

Need to run out my current cellular contract though, which is annoying.  6 months to go.

• Reply 44 of 88
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Change to 64bit architecture is too soon, absolutely not on iOS7, because we would have heard of that already by now from Apple. And even next year, it seems too soon, its not just a matter of developers updating their apps (there will probably be a hardware compatibility mode), but hardware requirements will go up too, which means higher cost of manufacture.

I think most companies will delay that as long as possible, until smartphones become limited by the memory limit for the current architecture. iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, and the Android market that chases hardware specs as part of their marketing, is at 2GB, its going to be a few years until there is a need to jump to 64bit.

• Reply 45 of 88

What reason would there be to go 64 bit?  The desktop reason that was normally given was to get past the 3GB RAM limit, but iPhones still look a fair distance from that (if it even applies).

Are there other reasons?

• Reply 46 of 88
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Maybe the new phone will be good enough that we can hear well on it.  Neither my wife, nor I , nor my brothers can hear well on theirs.  All of us have good hearing. The clamshell phones are better for eliminating the "can you hear me now phrase".  I don't understand it, a smartphone that you can hardly use as a phone.

• Reply 47 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

Oh how I hope this guy is wrong. I don't know if I can take another year on my tiny 4S' screen. I just don't see the benefit in an extra 1/2" on the purported 5S screen. I hope Apple didn't just do a typical S upgrade this year. Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5? I think with the current Galaxy cannibalization going on right now, Apple will probably lose even more customers to them.

After all, why 128 gigs of storage when you have to squint to see anything?

I hate to say it but a iPod Touch and a S4 may be in the future of this fanboy.

If you see who agreed ywith your post you will quickly realize how pathetic you sound.

First, Apple is only getting more and more costumers, so cut the crap there. They are however losing market share, but gaining costumers.

Then I agree that another iPhone line with a big screen would only increase iPhone's growth.

do you realize what you would lose if you bought a s4? you would lose a lot of speed, apps, build quality, screen quality, battery lfe when screen is on, heck the nice design, thinness, etc.

Is a 5" overstaturated pentile crap worth it? At least use your brain and buy the htc one.

• Reply 48 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

With FaceTime Audio  (still hate the name) coming to iOS7 I might ditch the iPhone altogether and just get a new iPad Mini and Cellular and a much cheaper data contract.  The vast majority of people I call or text have iPhones, so iMessage and Facetime will connect me to them, and for others there's Skype, and either Twitter, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

Yeah, I'll be giving up the convenience of having the device in my pocket, but if I'm stationary then my phone is normally on my desk, and I only occasionally take my phone out of my pocket while I'm transit.  Plus, I always carry a bag anyway, with my 10" iPad in it.  I think iOS7 is going to be the point where a single device can replace both phone and laptop for me, and it's the iPad Mini.

Need to run out my current cellular contract though, which is annoying.  6 months to go.

Imagine the 'C' in 5C is Cloud services, and is exactly as you describe, an iPhone with data only SIM, utilising FaceTime (Video and Audio), iMessage, Skype and other such services, a phone at the low end, above the iPod Touch and below the iPhone, differentiated in this way, not in Colour or Cheap or China way. An upgraded device from the iPod Touch, but not so close in functionality to the iPhone as to take away significant numbers of sales of that device (which is their big money product).

• Reply 49 of 88

Maybe.  But I think that's a more natural development upwards for the iPod Touch (it's about time that was renamed to just "iPod", since the nano is also touch).  The iPhone is defined by being a phone with iOS, so if you take away the literal phone antennae you're left with something that seems half-baked.

• Reply 50 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Imagine the 'C' in 5C is Cloud services, and is exactly as you describe, an iPhone with data only SIM, utilising FaceTime (Video and Audio), iMessage, Skype and other such services, a phone at the low end, above the iPod Touch and below the iPhone, differentiated in this way, not in Colour or Cheap or China way. An upgraded device from the iPod Touch, but not so close in functionality to the iPhone as to take away significant numbers of sales of that device (which is their big money product).

That's a pretty interesting idea actually. The question is how the operators respond to such a device, because if they take it in they would *truly* only be a bitpipe with no chance of adding value. On Android they can at least keep adding their crapware. On Apples devices, not so much...

• Reply 51 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

That's a pretty interesting idea actually. The question is how the operators respond to such a device, because if they take it in they would *truly* only be a bitpipe with no chance of adding value. On Android they can at least keep adding their crapware. On Apples devices, not so much...

The data carriers can still have their own apps in the App Store, and offer features to their customers, they just won't be installed by default.

I'm sure they could even build themselves a web portal that appears on first use of the data service, that advertises the user all of their custom services, much like the portals you get with protected wi-fi at hotels and the like.  As long as it only shows on first access I wouldn't have a massive problem with that.

• Reply 52 of 88
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I agree. Both my wife and friend did the upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 last year.  Both have told me they like the smaller size of the 4 screen vs the 5 screen. strange, huh?

It's not just the screen- both the 4 and 4S are just classier looking phones- period. SJ & Co. had it right with its original non-16:9 footprint. Tim Cook was still sporting one last year long after the 5 was released.

Having said that I expect the 5S to set all kinds of records as the many who kept onto their 4S (like myself) will be finally upgrading, cheaper looking exterior build or not. Both the true LTE connectivity and all the interior components will make it worth it. I really hope they tweak the metal casing because I have seen so many nasty looking nicked and scratched-up 5s here at work. 

• Reply 53 of 88
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member

A shift to 64bit would have some advantages but I'm sorry but the whole rumor is just based on the hopes of an analyst? Without any concrete evidence whatsoever? What it comes down to is this: I hope they implement it in the A7 and if not in the A7 I hope they implement it in the A8 (basically he says eventually at some point Apple will implement 64bit). Anyone can make 'predictions' like that. I wouldn't put too much credit to this 'report'.

Btw if a shift would occur from 32bit to 64bit wouldn't there be some kind of evidence of this in the beta versions of iOS 7?

• Reply 54 of 88
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Maybe the new phone will be good enough that we can hear well on it.  Neither my wife, nor I , nor my brothers can hear well on theirs.  All of us have good hearing. The clamshell phones are better for eliminating the "can you hear me now phrase".  I don't understand it, a smartphone that you can hardly use as a phone.

I hear this from time to time from people, as well as the iPhone having bad signal etc... However, I usually have no trouble hearing people on the iPhone and if I am speaking properly, they have no trouble hearing me. Of course, I have some of the best hearing of my friends, probably the second best of anyone I know. But I suck at differentiating people's voices from other noises. The louder it is, the worse I am at understanding someone because I can not separate their words from the other noise very well. Still never really have a problem. Signal wise, it does the best of any phone I've ever owned.

Maybe more a personal problem? I am sure they can improve though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Change to 64bit architecture is too soon, absolutely not on iOS7, because we would have heard of that already by now from Apple. And even next year, it seems too soon, its not just a matter of developers updating their apps (there will probably be a hardware compatibility mode), but hardware requirements will go up too, which means higher cost of manufacture.

I think most companies will delay that as long as possible, until smartphones become limited by the memory limit for the current architecture. iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, and the Android market that chases hardware specs as part of their marketing, is at 2GB, its going to be a few years until there is a need to jump to 64bit.

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If you see who agreed ywith your post you will quickly realize how pathetic you sound.

First, Apple is only getting more and more costumers, so cut the crap there. They are however losing market share, but gaining costumers.

Then I agree that another iPhone line with a big screen would only increase iPhone's growth.

do you realize what you would lose if you bought a s4? you would lose a lot of speed, apps, build quality, screen quality, battery lfe when screen is on, heck the nice design, thinness, etc.

Is a 5" overstaturated pentile crap worth it? At least use your brain and buy the htc one.

I agree on the need for the larger iphone screen and Apple getting more customers. I see a larger iPhone launching in 2014 with the IGZO screen and higher specs than the 5S. With some increased efficiency processors, I think a 4.5ish iPhone would be a safe launch.

On the S4, I have to agree and disagree. It is a really nice phone aside from the cheap plastic sh**. The S4 surely has more processing power but you are right, I used one at best buy for about 20 minutes. Was seriously unimpressed. It was laggy going to cnn.com   Apps....I don't know about but I hear that often. The battery life seems to be pretty decent but you are probably right that it isn't any good compared to the iPhone 5 (especially the high hopes of the iPhone 5S, if IGZO etc..)

I must admit, the OLED screen looks pretty nice, probably still oversaturated and such.... but a nice screen either way.

• Reply 55 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Anyone who have any knowledge of the industry and apply some technical knowledge to this rumors and speculation will know none of them are true. Most of these Analyst have ZERO technical background. You are only getting a faster clock, slightly tweaked Swift Core with much better Graphics and Double the Ram. ARMv8 isn't coming for another year or so at the earliest.

That's very interesting. If the 5S gets 2GB of RAM, that would be a plus.

• Reply 56 of 88
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I'm hoping (just for reasons of clarity), that this means the new iPhone will actually be called "iPhone 7" instead of "iPhone 5s".  

- It makes no sense to keep the "s" model numbering for more than this year anyway if they are going to be introducing the "c" variants each year as well.

- It's the seventh iPhone

- It runs iOS 7

- it will have an A7 chip

• Reply 57 of 88

Oh please god not this argument again.  No way will it be the iPhone 7.  No chance.  Outside chance it'll be the 6, but the sensible money is on 5S.

• Reply 58 of 88
    64-bit would be nice. It is a nice width for dynamic languages like Objective-C that use pointer tagging for efficiency. Normally the execution units are also utilized for better SIMD support. I'd hate to see a delayed move to 64-bit support hold Objective-C back from future innovation.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is a good question. 32 bit processors can address 4GB of RAM but you also have memory mapped I/O and stuff to deal with so the address space gets split. I don't know the exact split of iOS but RAM space cold become an issue faster than you might imagine. If this years release doubles RAM then the hardware would need a 64 bit transition in 2014 or 2015.

As to performance advantages it s hard for me to answer that as I don't know a lot about the new ARM architecture. The real advantage would be in 64 bit math support which honestly isn't a big issue with iOS.
    crowley wrote: »
    What reason would there be to go 64 bit?  The desktop reason that was normally given was to get past the 3GB RAM limit, but iPhones still look a fair distance from that (if it even applies).

Are there other reasons?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

I hope Apple didn't just do a typical S upgrade this year. Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5?

Maybe they were distracted being busy selling dozens of Millions of iPhone 5 to those who were not?