Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [quote="mstone"]Plastic, being more durable, is ideal for those who work in more physical careers such as construction, field service technicians, law enforcement, and strenuous outdoor jobs of all sorts.[/quote]

Exactly. Add to that students, athletes, seniors, clumsy people ... The "glass sandwich" that was the iPhone 4/S was a step backward from the 3G/S in my mind. Everything that was beautiful and "wow" about that design was destroyed by the ridiculous Apple colored bumper or any number of clunky aftermarket cases -- most of which were plastic and essentially turned the 4/S into a 3G/S.

The iPhone repair businesses (as well as third party case companies) are going to hate the 5C, as that plastic case is going protect against a lot of minor drops, and even some major ones, as well as eliminate the need for aftermarket cases. Indeed the elimination of a case for many, makes the 5C a lot more slim, stylish and elegant than the competition, and perhaps even the iPhone 5/S once owners have wrapped up it's superior design in a cheap plastic case to protect and customize it.
  • Reply 42 of 121
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

So you are suggesting this is a China only product. Interesting, but I doubt it. 

While I expect the "C" could be for "Color" the other logical reason could be "China".....

Or?

Other than it's never going to be called that at all. Which has a lot of plausibility.

• Reply 43 of 121
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    For all the nay sayers.. Iphone 3g and 3gs were plastic.
    Great move to lock in more and more people in the ios eco sys!
  • Reply 44 of 121
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Plastic, being more durable, is ideal for those who work in more physical careers such as construction, field service technicians, law enforcement, and strenuous outdoor jobs of all sorts.

I agree. If the iPhone 5C had the same internal specs and features as the 5S I would actually prefer a plastic version over an aluminum one if it meant I could ditch the case. The only reason I would prefer the 5S is because of the faster CPU/GPU, a better camera, and other enhancements and not because of any design aesthetics. 

• Reply 45 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would it worry you...unless you have stock in the company?

I have a lot of stocks atm indeed.  but will go light before the event.  since lots of people will also sell, I need to do it a least 1 week before. I will keep a few options leaps throught the event.  With the stock and options I am up 300% since the bottom.  Even with that, I am still 50% lower then when Apple was at $700, I lost a lot of $ on the way down.

• Reply 46 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    aaronj wrote: »
    I understand that, and I won't buy it.

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

What is it with people who are completely unable to comprehend the fact that plastic doesn't necessarily mean 'cheap'. And 'cheap' doesn't necessarily mean 'low quality'.

Apple has a super reputation of making high quality products affordable for the masses (remember when the iPad came out at half the price everyone expected? or the MBA which no one was able to compete with until Intel started to subsidize them?)

Apple is Apple. They're not going to produce crap. They might produce a plastic phone and it might even be less expensive than the 5S, but that doesn't mean it will be crap nor that it will ruin Apple's reputation.
  • Reply 47 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.

Wrong. The rear case in this video is scratch resistant. And it does IMO appear to be a legit part. So what you called rumoured others would called "factory leaked". Or swiped!

• Reply 48 of 121
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

When it is introduced I expect we will see a big advertising campaign that reinforces "C is for Color" and they could take it even a step further and do various commercials like C is for capable, cool, connect (FaceTime reference)  etc...

I am sure Samsung and others will do their best to associate C with cheap so Apple needs to squash that right away and make C be associated with something cool and not cheap. 

• Reply 49 of 121
    At least AI put the word "purportedly" in the headline. +1 for not misleading people in the headlines. The headline could have easily been worded "iPhone 5C plastic case passes scratch test [I]as (something provocative related to Samsung)[/I]."
  • Reply 50 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I am still against this idea.

People 16 to 30 have less expendable cash these days, but would love an iPhone. This product gives all of those folks an opportunity to choose iPhone. None of those people want a "new" 2 year old iPhone (4, 4S) IMO. They want a new, new phone. And by simultaneously introducing the 5S it allows Apple to still have the definitive premium phone on the world market.

I think for the ecosystem, the company and users the idea is sound.

• Reply 51 of 121

Quote:

I understand that, and I won't buy it.

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

This is not a low-end phone. This is lower cost iPhone. €679 for a 16 GB iPhone 5 in Ireland seriously hinders Apple's potential here, and across the world. It's a good move. Frankly, it's about time they did this IMO. Selling a 2 year old phone that nobody actually wants (but are forced to choose if they want an iPhone, but cannot afford the latest model) has had it's day. This streamlines the product lineup far more and makes the Apple ecosystem far more understandable and attractive to consumers.

• Reply 52 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People 16 to 30 have less expendable cash these days, but would love an iPhone. This product gives all of those folks an opportunity to choose iPhone. None of those people want a "new" 2 year old iPhone (4, 4S) IMO. They want a new, new phone. And by simultaneously introducing the 5S it allows Apple to still have the definitive premium phone on the world market.

I think for the ecosystem, the company and users the idea is sound.

Unless the 5S has some kind of killer feature (so far I dont see it), I am replacing my 4s for the 5C this fall.  I want a lower price phone to go unlock with Virgin mobile. At the same time I will drop my phone land line. The $ saved on both my contract and land line is about the price of a 27" imac after 2 years.

I could not care less about speed bumps on a phone, on the ipad yes, not the phone.

• Reply 53 of 121
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [quote="gwmac"]I am sure Samsung and others will do their best to associate C with cheap so Apple needs to squash that right away and make C be associated with something cool and not cheap. [/quote]

They should probably drop the C right now, because that's exactly what the competition is going to do.

Actually "C" might stand for "carbon fibre" ... But that still won't deter the Samsung/Microsoft/Google camp ...
  • Reply 54 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

And since when was aluminium consider to be a premium or expensive material? 

Since it enables more thinner, lighter, more rigid and less crack prone mobile electronics devices. And it's metal; metal looks cooler than plastic.

From the OS X Dictionary:

Its resistance to corrosion, lightness, and strength (especially in alloys) have led to widespread use in domestic utensils, engineering parts, and aircraft construction.

• Reply 55 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

Retort?

5S.

Now stop it.

• Reply 56 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

But will it blend?

Da da da da da, da da da da da!

• Reply 57 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

There is no "FCC" in China which is where this phone is going to be sold.

Going by that metric European iPhones would have FCC either. They do.

• Reply 58 of 121

Quote:

You don't see the problem?

It's a mid-range device. Get over yourself. If anything it'll make the 5S seen even more premium because people will compare the two. The 5S will remain the go-to high end phone on the market. Apple's brand image is not going anywhere.

• Reply 59 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

btw if they are going to call this the 5C, the new phone should be called the iphone 6 so next year we have the 6C and the 7

Weirdest logic.

• Reply 60 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Weirdest logic.

No weirder than calling the 6th phone 5. They want to have the most confusing names possible, have at it.