Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

I thought Apple didn't care about market share? And when exactly does one 'win' the platform war? There is no endgame, and there isn't any 'winning', because if someone does win we as consumers lose.

You win when your platform is still relevant.  You don't have to have a monopoly, just enough market share to maintain a high level of interest.  If the app store becomes stale, then you stop selling as many phones.

• Reply 82 of 121
    I don't know about this. I would expect the "iPhone" font to be the new Helvetica Ultralight (although it may be close enough since the plastic case shows Helvetica Light font) featured prominently within the new OS. But who know. The lack of any FCC verbiage is interesting as well. I thought at first perhaps they didn't have approval yet, but need to manufacture the cases well ahead of time and would engrave the numbers later, but that just seems inefficient.

On one hand, I see the need for a cheap version of the old phone, which is treated as the "discount model." This allows for a couple of things near and long term:

1) Long term: It allows Apple to manufacture the phones much more cheaply. Therefore, it really is the discount model. Rather than continuing to offer new "old phones." Especially since the only reason people don't get the new one is a price issue.

2) Short term: IF the iPhone is "merely" a 5s, then it allows Apple to differentiate the new model from the new-old model, since the form factor, screen size, and likely the enclosure would be similar if not identical.

either way, a "cheap" iPhone (equivalent to high end Samsung, etc - with its "premium feel" lol - that one still gets me...) makes sense.

But I am really, really hoping for a brand new, larger screen iPhone 6.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    You win when your platform is still relevant.  You don't have to have a monopoly, just enough market share to maintain a high level of interest.  If the app store becomes stale, then you stop selling as many phones.

Still relevant in respect to what?
  • Reply 84 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Would you agree that at half the price, it becomes MORE affordable?

not at half an imaginary price

• Reply 85 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This doesn't smell quite right. 

The pencil hardness test is for testing scratch resistance of coatings, not to be confused with hardness of a solid material. We can be 99% sure that this plastic case is polycarbonate of some form. In that case, the proper hardness measure is Rockwell hardness. Furthermore, the pencil test is not a administered by randomly scratching away with a pencil. There is a special fixture for this.

I realize this is a "cursory" test. But it really doesn't mean very much.

It depends on what you're trying to measure. The Rockwell hardness test tells you little or nothing about scratch resistance.
  • Reply 86 of 121

Quote:

No hate here.

Maybe you need to just open your mind up a bit more...plastic does not mean cheap to many people.  Plastic by itself does not mean a compromise to Apple's brand/image if the device meets or exceed the customer's expectations.  I'm not trying to justify Apple's (rumored) decisions, just giving opinion of how I think consumers will react.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we hate you or don't like you personally.

Perhaps not you, but I got flamed quite a bit some months back. 

Plastic is cheap(er) or it would not be used, right? So it is, contrasted to metal, cheap. Apple moved away from plastic on all but the Airport and Apple TV products as to add value and quality, as they are a premium brand. It sets them apart. People can usually pick out an Apple product quite easily. I just hope they have anther material rather than plastic as it will cheapen the brand. 

[update]

Personally, I think a metal back that is less complicated to manufacture, having a lesser refined finish, would be more of a cost saving than a plastic back. Although plastic would presume a lesser complicated manufacturing process also.

• Reply 87 of 121
    What's always got me about the new, less expensive iPhones, is the colour. None of them seem to gel with what we've seen of iOS7. Does anyone else think this or am I completely off track?
  • Reply 88 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wrong. There are some plastics that do not crack (unless you cool them in liquid nitrogen). There are metals that do crack.

You're simply making ridiculous assumptions about things that you clearly don't understand.

So you're simply making things up and pretending they have validity.

You don't know a thing about the phone, its construction, its materials, or its features, so you have no way of knowing whether it's a quality device or not. You simply jumped to the conclusion that it must be cheap junk - no need for facts, the world is supposed to simply accept your imagination.

A) this is a rumor site so we ALL are speaking to rumored products

B) I never said or implied junk

C) Facts as provided by the RUMOR! 

So here we go. Those that like the RUMOR are allowed to speak their thoughts on said rumor. Those apposed to the RUMOR, get flamed!  

Go away! 

• Reply 89 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a platform war, so the point is market share.  Also, the top model of the iPhone is already pushing $1,000.  

Suppose you need a 64GB or 128GB phone for your job, but you aren't some rich asshole?  You should spin in the wind?  

Remember these things are going to be upgraded yearly or every two years at most.  

If you want ubiquity and to "win" the platform war, at some point you have to go for market share.  This is that. 

Really some rich asshole? Why are rich people assholes? I'm knowing a lot of poor people who are assholes! 

And your right, if you need a fast car to get to work, Ferrari should sell a mid rang car just for you! NOT! 

• Reply 90 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    soloman wrote: »
    Since last September. I don't see anything wrong with using plastic, but there are now a plethora of hypocrites on this site that ridiculed the competition for using plastic yet now laud Apple for it.

I still ridicule Samsung for using plastic that looks like the carapace of a robot insect when you turn it over. Truly revolting gloss and layered crypto-textures. To top it off, they treat the camera module like some sort of excrescence that has formed like a pustule under the plastic.

Sorry for the medical language, but this is an emergency in tastelessness, and you are letting it go over your head in your haste to accuse others of hypocrisy.

Apple's use of plastic will be simple, frank and honest, and the result will be delightful. Also, much more robust in shape than the slippery suppository profiles that Samsung can't get away from.

Subtract this one from your plethora.
  • Reply 91 of 121

Two things....One: As much as I marveled at my iP4s, quality of design/workmanship, etc., it was a bit daft having a "glass" back (and it was heavy!). The iP5 was a vast improvement and a lot better than most critics gave it credit for. I would probably have one right now but Sprint has me locked in.

Two: Plastic is indeed the bane of this planet, however, I try to recycle as much as I can and am looking fwd to the 5c. I hope it's lighter and roundy'er and much better for the "Jean's test."

I do not use a cover on my iPhone and I do not try to impress chicks with the latest and greatest tech products. Most of them can't be bothered, anyway. I've tried. :)

I kind of use it for a few phone calls, a few photos, almost no video,a few texts/emails, a little nav., a little web surfing (a la Siri), and a little note taking.

• Reply 92 of 121
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I still ridicule Samsung for using plastic that looks like the carapace of a robot insect when you turn it over. Truly revolting gloss and layered crypto-textures. To top it off, they treat the camera module like some sort of excrescence that has formed like a pustule under the plastic.

Sorry for the medical language, but this is an emergency in tastelessness, and you are letting it go over your head in your haste to accuse others of hypocrisy.

Apple's use of plastic will be simple, frank and honest, and the result will be delightful. Also, much more robust in shape than the slippery suppository profiles that Samsung can't get away from.

Subtract this one from your plethora.

I'm fine with ridiculing them for how they use plastic but not because they do.
  • Reply 93 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

not at half an imaginary price

could you clarify what you mean by "imaginary"?

• Reply 94 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

... And your right, if you need a fast car to get to work, Ferrari should sell a mid rang car just for you! NOT! 

This is a horribly inaccurate analogy.  

• Reply 95 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a horribly inaccurate analogy.  

Apple is a premium brand. I don't know how else to put it so you understand. If you want a mid tier or cheap product, there is Samsung, Nokia, and others who will meet your needs. But you want the performance of a Ferrari in a Chrysler shell. I hope that does not happen. 

• Reply 96 of 121

Quote:

could you clarify what you mean by "imaginary"?

existing only in the imagination

• Reply 97 of 121
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Apple is a premium brand. I don't know how else to put it so you understand. If you want a mid tier or cheap product, there is Samsung, Nokia, and others who will meet your needs. But you want the performance of a Ferrari in a Chrysler shell. I hope that does not happen. 

You really like car similes. Too bad they couldn't be more wrong. Very few people can afford a Ferrari but the vast majority of people can afford to pay $199 for the base iPhone model on contract. Just because Apple doesn't sell dirt cheap smart phones doesn't make the ones they do sell premium. They cost around the same as the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One and less than some other phones like the Note 2 and soon 3. The iPhone costs the same as other smart phones in that class which means it is not exclusive or only for wealth customers. It is a consumer electronics product that people buy for their 12 year olds so hard to make that case. You might want it to sound premium because of the way that reflects on you but I have never held up my iPhone 5 in public  expecting anyone to ooh or awe over it. 

P.S. As much as I hate car similes when talking about Apple, the Chrysler GTS Viper might not roll off the tongue as sexily as a Ferrari, but it is a far better car in almost every way in my opinion. Ferraris can spend as much time in a shop as on the road. 

• Reply 98 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You really like car similes. Too bad they couldn't be more wrong. Very few people can afford a Ferrari but the vast majority of people can afford to pay $199 for the base iPhone model on contract. Just because Apple doesn't sell dirt cheap smart phones doesn't make the ones they do sell premium. They cost around the same as the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One and less than some other phones like the Note 2 and soon 3. The iPhone costs the same as other smart phones in that class which means it is not exclusive or only for wealth customers. It is a consumer electronics product that people buy for their 12 year olds so hard to make that case. You might want it to sound premium because of the way that reflects on you but I have never held up my iPhone 5 in public  expecting anyone to ooh or awe over it. 

P.S. As much as I hate car similes when talking about Apple, the Chrysler GTS Viper might not roll off the tongue as sexily as a Ferrari, but it is a far better car in almost every way in my opinion. Ferraris can spend as much time in a shop as on the road. 

Dodge Viper, not Chrysler. And how can you compare a noisy, uncomfortable, hot ride in the Viper to a Ferrari (California). 

Aside from that, you pick which industry I can use as an analogy. I like cars because that is usually something most can relate to. 

I never suggested Apple to not sell a less expensive phone, and they do, the 4 and 4s. I have only suggested not to go plastic as that would cheapen the brand. Premium is not only price, but quality. Samsung can be argued as being expensive, not premium. I've always said they use a less expensive manufacturing process vs cheaper components. I've also asked several time what would be take from the current iPhone lineup to make a phone cheaper and all anyone has said is plastic case. I've even suggested to model the iPod touch but with 8GB. Still using metal, in colors and should get at or below the $400 price tag. What is wrong with that? 

• Reply 99 of 121
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

inexpensive != cheap

$400 != cheap

for a decent smartphone, especially running iOS7, that is kind of cheap because you can't get a decent $200 smartphone off contract. Really, what is a decent $200 smartphone? From any company.

• Reply 100 of 121
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm against a plastic, cheap iPhone.

LOL that is ridiculous.  As I an iPhone 5 owner, I prefer the 5C. It is more durable and practically designed for actually using it, every day.

And being "against" making the iPhone more affordable, yet still every bit as functional and powerful as today's iPhone 5....I have no way of even addressing that absurdity.

Plastic is not something to "be against". And if you really hate it, get a 5S.